Hello from a Aspiring newbie

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doggiegirl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
First off, I wanted to introduce myself and tell you all that I've really enjoyed reading the topics on here, they're all very interesting and informative, and you seem like a great group sharing ideas and stories of your B & B's. I started out by doing a google search on 'starting a B & B' a few days ago. I first got to About.com, which I then somehow found myself on here and have enjoyed reading this forum thoroughly!
I am an inspiring inkeeper, I've been thinking (and researching) B & Bs for awhile now and trying to decide whether I should, where, how..etc. I've learned a LOT on here, especially the thread 'If you had to do it again, would you', and others that discuss the pros and cons of running a B & B. I've had the dream of starting my B & B for a long while and I know that it's hard work but can also be very rewarding. There seems to be so much to do and so little time. So I'm not walking into it all with rose-coloured glasses, at least..I do know there are challenges and it can be a tough (and competitive) biz. It sounds like many (if not most) of you enjoy running your B & B and I think that's fantastic!
I do have sort of an idea of the pros and cons and a bit of related experience as I run a Doggie B & B (for canines, a 'Bed and Biscuit') in Ontario, Canada. My partner and I started a dogwalking business several years ago and started to take in boarding dogs a few years ago in addition to daily dog walks. LIke a regular B & B, we often have dogs stay in our house, so although it's not nearly the same (we don't do as much house work as we're out in the park more than inside for example) and we only bake dog treats, not breakfast so there's only very little cooking/kitchen work. However we still have to deal with similar issues such as clients asking for discounts, booking last minute (and shocked we don't have room haha), showing up hours later than planned, a dog making a mess in our place (happens rarely, thankfully), getting last-minute cancellations, email and paperwork galore, website design and marketing, and many other facets of running a boarding-related business in the home. Fortunately most of our clients are great, but sometimes we do get clients who are inconsiderate of our time etc (Or their dog is insane! lol) but we deal with these things as they come.
Anyway, I am really glad I found this forum! Hopefully you won't mind a Doggie B & B owner joining this board and perhaps one day soon I'll finally make the change from a canine to a human B & B
I look forward to learning more!!
Cheers! :)

Welcome and feel free to chime in. Just do us a favor - do not post pictures of your oh so cute dog. It rates right up there with posting pictures of my grandkids - di I tell you how cute my 8 grandkids are? (Barf!) They are cute though - especially the one in the Navy!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!
What Gillumhouse didn't mention is that the dog in your avatar is fine... don't feel like you have to switch him out. We just get tired of any pictures of cute things (dogs, kids, bugs, flowers) that are not B&B related. I have two kids that I post too often, but I do try to hold back, really I do!
Anyway, can't help you much on either dogs or Ontario. I can say that I joined over at About and learned so much as an aspiring from the people who are now here that when I opened my B&B it was very smooth. Ask lots of questions! (One question at a time works best... we're big on going on tangents.)
Yep... it's the best 5 to 9 job you'll ever make hardly any money at!
=)
Kk.

Welcome and feel free to chime in. Just do us a favor - do not post pictures of your oh so cute dog. It rates right up there with posting pictures of my grandkids - di I tell you how cute my 8 grandkids are? (Barf!) They are cute though - especially the one in the Navy!.
LOL ok thanks Gillumhouse...I understand that completely. Cute can be sometimes cute overload! lol I just couldn't think of a picture and thought I'd put a pic that went with my username instead of leaving it blank...
I'm trying to figure out how to change the picture and somehow not able to edit it. But I'm new to this forum so still learning where everything is.
Thanks for the welcome!!

Welcome and feel free to chime in. Just do us a favor - do not post pictures of your oh so cute dog. It rates right up there with posting pictures of my grandkids - di I tell you how cute my 8 grandkids are? (Barf!) They are cute though - especially the one in the Navy!.
LOL ok thanks Gillumhouse...I understand that completely. Cute can be sometimes cute overload! lol I just couldn't think of a picture and thought I'd put a pic that went with my username instead of leaving it blank...
I'm trying to figure out how to change the picture and somehow not able to edit it. But I'm new to this forum so still learning where everything is.
Thanks for the welcome!!
No!!
Doggie avatar = OK.
Dog pics posted every other day = Not OK.
=)
Kk.

Thanks for the welcome!!
AS your avatar is good - I use the trailhead sign. In the comments (posting) section? BARF!!! Sic 'em!! Good doggie!!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I can't believe the wealth of info on how-to start up and lots of practical info...much more than any book at Chapters will tell you! I've learned so much and there's so much to think about.. Gives me inspiration but also lots of practical advice, at least that keeps me from dreaming too much and weighing the pros and cons..
Great to meet you all!!

Thanks for the welcome!!
As the others have already said, welcome. Regarding how to change your avatar, you can upload a new one at any time under "My Account". The thing that throws a lot of people is that when you replace your avatar, your computer may not go look for the new photo until the next time you restart your machine and login here. Different browsers have different settings for how often they check to see if things like photos in your cache have been changed. Everyone else may be seeing your new photo but you might not see it for a while.

Back