Hello from an aspiring innkeeper!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. Do you have a hoped for timeline? When you have questions, ask one per thread - BUT read the archives first as your question may have already been answered.

Mary was too busy battling cancer - and lost. It is still the best

Last edited:
I am just starting that book and finding it very helpful - that’s how I found this forum actually. Tentative timeline is probably looking at buying something within the year. I’m putting together my business plan now and reading as much as I can.

thanks for the welcome :) excited to be part of the forum and to dive into the archives for additional wisdom!

Welcome! Excellent choice on your ultimate location. Inns are selling like hot cakes in Maine right now.

Hi there, I happen to have a lovely B & B in Maine for sale. Turnkey in everyway:) Look up Aysgarth Station in Bar Harbor. Great town with Acadia National Park in my backyard so I have an excellent reason for people to stay here. One book I still think about when I was researching owning a B & B is B & B for dummies. Had some excellent practical advice. Good luck. Melody

Welcome to the group. I’m new here as well and doing my research, though still several years out. There is a TON of info in the archives and the team here is amazingly open and honest with their experiences.

We've been at it 3 years, I would say there are two distinct aspects - operations (what Mary White's book and others seem very good for) and not a lot has probably changed - breakfast, changing rooms etc, though there is more details to cover post COVID

However the other aspect is marketing and that has changed massively in 11 years and continues to evolve - web, PMS, OTA's, Air vs other OTA's, chat, mobile and so on....

Good luck!

We've been at it 3 years, I would say there are two distinct aspects - operations (what Mary White's book and others seem very good for) and not a lot has probably changed - breakfast, changing rooms etc, though there is more details to cover post COVID

However the other aspect is marketing and that has changed massively in 11 years and continues to evolve - web, PMS, OTA's, Air vs other OTA's, chat, mobile and so on....

Good luck!

Very much so. When I started in 1996 it was Guide Books, the Internet was just starting. I had a website before I had a computer in the house. Today even the Social Media changes so fast one cannot keep up with it. I was considered good at marketing but things are too different today. I have signed on for some Social Media marketing - they can data mine and target my audience better than I know how to. We are going to market my Elopement Packages to see if we can get more of them (more profit margin).

I'm envious of you Americans, with your amazing natural landscapes and views...
(I'm talking about the photos on Aysgarth's website).

You need to come see West Virginia, Dumitru. I admit we are a bit short of ocean, but our hills & valleys, waterfalls, and just the whole State is gorgeous. Once you get to the top of a ridge, you see across 8 or 9 ridges - at least 50 - 60 miles across - of vistas. And we have history, cultures, trains, trails, and even modern things like shops & restaurants (and Internet most places - but we are improving on that). We DO have one area that is no cell or Internet permitted, Greenbank has been listening for ET when he got home and now is doing the listening for the Mars landing.

Welcome to the group. I’m new here as well and doing my research, though still several years out. There is a TON of info in the archives and the team here is amazingly open and honest with their experiences.
I’m so glad I found this forum, it already seems like it will offer a wealth of information and a great community! :) Let me know if you are finding any specific research materials especially helpful. Although I’ve done quite a bit of reading online posts about starting B&Bs, creating business plans, etc, I’m just now starting to really dive into material like the For Dummies book to build up my understanding of the industry!

Very much so. When I started in 1996 it was Guide Books, the Internet was just starting. I had a website before I had a computer in the house. Today even the Social Media changes so fast one cannot keep up with it. I was considered good at marketing but things are too different today. I have signed on for some Social Media marketing - they can data mine and target my audience better than I know how to. We are going to market my Elopement Packages to see if we can get more of them (more profit margin).
Ah this makes a lot of sense, it is incredible how quickly the internet and technology have been evolving the past 20 years! I do a bit of marketing and communications for my current job (although I don’t know anything very detailed or technical - like best post times or SEO stuff).

A suggestion to check out the codes for each town you might be considering. They vary and some are more restrictive than others.

Good morning! Not sure I’m in the right place. I am a super host Innkeeper.I am looking for an Innkeeping position. I would even like to lease a business. I see on here that leasing to someone is a bad idea. Well if there not experienced and don’t have 5 star ratings , it may be someone looking for a place to live . Not the case for me . I love the business !
Anyway thanks much.

Back