Hello from the Higgins House

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgins House

Reaction score
Dear Fellow Innkeepers,
We are in our mid 70s and, with no prior experience, bought our 3 guest room B&B in October. We are in a lovely small town and are having the time of our life. Much of our business comes from local folks celebrating all sorts of events. It is a joy to be part of the fabric of our town. If it ever stopped being fun I guess we could just pull up the sign, sit on the front porch and drink lemonade. Anyway just wanted to say hello.

welcome.gif
From Ohio!!!

Welcome from NE. I have 1 room and 2 suites. Am looking forward to retirement from my full time job next year and just have the B&B. Most of the innkeepers here are younger, I think I was the oldest until now (still close) you told us how old you are. Do you find it hard to keep up sometimes?

Welcome from NE. I have 1 room and 2 suites. Am looking forward to retirement from my full time job next year and just have the B&B. Most of the innkeepers here are younger, I think I was the oldest until now (still close) you told us how old you are. Do you find it hard to keep up sometimes?.
Dear Hawley,
At this point no but I do squeeze in an occasional afternoon nap. This adventure energizes me I enjoy cooking and mixing with the guests, and Sharon and I have gotten the room cleaning down to a science. When my daughter found out we were doing this she actually said, "But Dad you are old and are going to die soon." I immediately informed her she was stricken from the will. to which she said, "Great then I can stop being nice to you!" So life is just fun and of course my dear daughter is still an heir. Our web site is higginshouse.com
Sincerely,
Lou

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
We had guests who caught your auto train from there to DC with their motorcycle this past week.

Welcome! This is a great forum - very helpful folks! I can barely do this in my 40's - kudos to you :)

Welcome. You are an inspiration to all of us who want to continue doing this even when we are older.
I have been to Sanford. My daughter in law used to live there and my son lived in Lake Mary, FL. After they married they lived in Debary for 2 years before moving to Colorado.
What a beautiful area!

Welcome! Gosh...more power to you and best wishes. After 6 years of innkeeping my back gave out and we retired and I am only 61
embaressed_smile.gif

Welcome. You are an inspiration to all of us who want to continue doing this even when we are older.
I have been to Sanford. My daughter in law used to live there and my son lived in Lake Mary, FL. After they married they lived in Debary for 2 years before moving to Colorado.
What a beautiful area!.
Small world alert!!!!
My brother lives in Sanford and my Daddy lived in Debary until I brought him to my place to die. My niece now lives in and owns his house.
do-do-doooo-do

Welcome from NE. I have 1 room and 2 suites. Am looking forward to retirement from my full time job next year and just have the B&B. Most of the innkeepers here are younger, I think I was the oldest until now (still close) you told us how old you are. Do you find it hard to keep up sometimes?.
Dear Hawley,
At this point no but I do squeeze in an occasional afternoon nap. This adventure energizes me I enjoy cooking and mixing with the guests, and Sharon and I have gotten the room cleaning down to a science. When my daughter found out we were doing this she actually said, "But Dad you are old and are going to die soon." I immediately informed her she was stricken from the will. to which she said, "Great then I can stop being nice to you!" So life is just fun and of course my dear daughter is still an heir. Our web site is higginshouse.com
Sincerely,
Lou
I see on your web site you make Ebleskiver. I have watched youtube on making it and purchased the pan, but haven't had a chance to work on it to see if I can make them. How do you serve the lemon curd with the ebelskiver? That would be really interesting.

Welcome! Gosh...more power to you and best wishes. After 6 years of innkeeping my back gave out and we retired and I am only 61
embaressed_smile.gif
catlady said:
embaressed_smile.gif
You're just a spring chicken.
I cannot imagine doing this work past 65, bless all of you who labor on...
cheers.gif

As my neck is still messed up and I have been a waste of space for days (yes, getting it together have a new dr appt, argued with the chiro who said it is simply a relapse - an easy word for them to use)... I thought to myself today, you know I would LIKE to give more time to the guests, but currently I cannot, there is no debate about it, just simply cannot. I don't know how older innkeepers do it, they must have a heckuvalot more energy than I do!!

Dear Hawley,
Sincerely,
Lou
I see on your web site you make Ebleskiver. I have watched youtube on making it and purchased the pan, but haven't had a chance to work on it to see if I can make them. How do you serve the lemon curd with the ebelskiver? That would be really interesting.
Hi,
The way it works is that the lemon curd, or whatever such as tiny chocolate bits goes in the middle. Put a scant tablespoon of batter in first. (Actually first put in a dollop of melted butter) then a small hunk of curd, then more bater on top. People love it. I have also just learned to make bananna foster crepes. But thats a story for another time.
Sincerely,
Lou

Welcome from N.E.
welcome.gif
and cheers to your new venture. It sounds like you have the perfect attitude and positive outlook for inn-keeping!

Back