Hello from the middle of the Atlantic

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O wow! I am so jealous. I doubt you can deduct any of it. Because you are not an open business right now. Sorry..
catlady said:
O wow! I am so jealous. I doubt you can deduct any of it. Because you are not an open business right now. Sorry.
How about being able to deduct these expenses if the business does open this year? R&D? We deducted books, the innkeeping class, etc once we had our biz purchased. Travel to get to B&B's to look at them, staying over, meals, etc. The method of travel might raise an eyebrow, but if the expenses are inline with first class air travel, why not? I guess the quibble would be that owing and operating a US biz of this type has nothing to do with where they are doing the researching so that might put the kibosh on it. Of course, if they buy a B&B in the UK, they're all set.
We deducted SOME things "after" we opened our B & B. We kept all the receipts and then our CPA said it was kosher.

A shameless plug here, but if you're looking for B&Bs in Ireland, we have a good selection at www.bedandbreakfastworld.com!.
Thanks! Lots to look at there. I booked all our reservations months ago because we're traveling with my 87-year-old mother and finding places with a ground-floor room was a top priority (and hard to find).
We're in "Stow-on-the-Wold", England now, our ship having docked in Southhampton yesterday morning. Staying in a place that's all Victorian lace and big flowers on the bedspread. A bit too girly for me, but the ladies seem to like it!
Getting ready to head downstairs for "the full English breakfast". It's basically "the full Arkansas breakfast" with the addition of mushrooms and beans. I can't wait!

Back