Hello from Wyoming

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunburst2

Reaction score
Guess it's about time for me to introduce myself since I joined INNspiring almost three months ago. I have become addicted to checking the site at least daily to catch up on the trials and tribulations of all you folks. As my introduction I will respond to a few of the topics that have been posted recently. I am starting my third year of operating my B&B, and it's something I never would have imagined myself doing - until I decided to do it. I was fortunate in acquiring a lovely piece of property some 10 years ago. I have friends and family, but they don't live with me, and like it or not I have entered the realm of being a Senior Citizen. So, I wondered how I could justify and afford to build a nice home on my property? The answer that came to me was, make it a business, then I could write the construction cost off my taxes for the rest of my life. What kind of business could I make my home but a B&B. I had other business interests that I was able to transfer equity from to build my home, my B&B, and that's what I did over a period of several years. Since I built my home to be a B&B I have many advantages over trying to convert an existing house to become a B&B. I have 7 bedrooms, 9 bathrooms, a laundry area on each of the 3 levels that have bedrooms; and what I would call a semi-commercial kitchen.
At first I was just going to operate on a fairly limited basis, enough to justify my business status for tax purposes, rather than turning it into something that more resembled a career. Zoning didn't allow for any kind of business where I am located so I had to get a Special Use permit, a process involving several public meetings where my neighbors could comment, which resulted in 58 of my neighbors signing a petition against my having a B&B. They didn't have any legitimate reason, just didn't like anything new and different in their backyard, and complained it would generate too much traffic. Besides the fact that regarding traffic I'm next door to a public ski area they also failed to understand that the same zoning that wouldn't allow a B&B would have allowed me to build 30 single family houses on my property without any input from them. I'm sure they would have liked that even less, but I got the Special Use permit. Then came all the red tape and regulations the county wanted which of course added lots of extra expense. I have such a wonderful fire alarm system that if I cook more than two steaks at a time on my grill it sets off my fire alarm that is wired in and impossible to by pass or turn off. It automatically calls Fire Dispatch and the fire trucks are on the way in 2 minutes unless I call in a false alarm. Nice to know how efficient they are if I ever really need them, but having sirens go off and strobe lights start blinking all over the house when guests are here doesn't make for a very relaxing atmosphere. After going the rounds with my neighbors and the county I decided that, by golly I wasn't going to be a pretend Bed and Breakfast, I was going to do the best possible job I could of operating a B&B, and that's what I'm doing.
So far I haven't had the "guest from hell", and only a couple of very small PITA's (mostly involving young children - who I no longer accept unconditionally, only sometimes). I'm sure sooner or later I'll be able to tell a tale of a guest I won't ever want to see again, but so far almost 100% of my guests have been polite and appreciative. I'm pretty sure if I experienced the same kind of rude, obnoxious and inconsiderate behavior from a guest that a couple of you have described lately I wouldn't put up with it. People who come here are, after all, guests in my home and if their presence makes life stressful for any other guest or for me I would rather give them back their money and ask them to leave than allow them to behave badly in my home. It occurs to me that is one of those things that is, "easy to say, but not so easy to do"; so I guess I'll find out what I will really do if and when the situation occurs. I also haven't found the work involved with running a B&B particularly burdensome. I do have a young lady who lives nearby and will come do housekeeping when I call her. It's helpful because I can't guarantee any specific amount of work for a housekeeper, but I can call for help when I have more than a couple of rooms to turn. There is also another lady close by who loves to cook and will come help me with those duties when I have lots of people for breakfast or another big meal, wedding reception or whatever to do. She also will take over all duties if I want to go away for a day or two. All things considered I basically have no complaints, and am quite happy with my new life as an innkeeper. I'm not crazy about fishermen because they want to eat breakfast too early. I like 9:00am breakfast, but I'll do it earlier (or later) pretty much what ever the guest wants; but not before 6:00am. Anyone who wants earlier than that gets the Cheerios left on the counter.
Yes, I put candy out in several places, but not on the pillow at turn-down anymore. I think it was the first week I was open when a guest came to breakfast with chocolate all over in her hair, and the bedding was a pretty icky mess also. I thought it was a fluke that she didn't notice the wrapped chocolate on her pillow, maybe she had too much wine or something. But, a couple of weeks later a repeat of the same accident. I didn't get it, how anyone could not notice chocolate on their pillow; but the second time did stop me from putting candy in or on any more bedding. People often tell me what attention has been paid to detail here, but after reading some of the comments on the absence of proof thread I think I have missed a few things I should consider. I said I didn't have any complaints, and I don't, but what bugs me the most is that people think a B&B is some kind of hotel, open to the public, someone on duty at a "front desk" at all times to answer questions or give them a tour. I'm talking about the public not people who actually are guests. I once found several ladies wandering around - and in my bedroom - when I came in the house from working outside. They said, "We just thought we would drop by and check out your bedrooms." I felt like saying to them, "Tell me where you live so I can come by and check out your bedrooms sometime when you're not home". But, that was when I had only been open a few months and I was more polite than I am now to people who are complete idiots. I have learned to keep the door locked, as best I can. I got a combination lock door latch last week, but I can't set it so am still just using it as a deadbolt. I also don't like not knowing when guests are going to show up, most are quite cooperative in calling and telling me because I ask them to. But, when I'm waiting for someone I think is overdue I have a hard time functioning normally until they arrive, I'm afraid to even go to the bathroom for fear I will be unable to answer the door quickly enough if they arrive. I need to take the same attitude I have now developed about other things out of my control, like TA, regarding these issues. That is; don't worry about it, things will work out. I got a bad review on TA before I was ever listed on TA or knew what it was, and that was fairly recently. The review was from someone who never even stayed here, but was pissed off because they thought they were going to have to pay after they cancelled. I was horrified, and I wrote three replies before TA accepted one. It seems the person making a comment can say almost any crazy thing they want; but for an innkeeper to reply the formula you must fit requires a statement acknowledging that you have done something wrong and what steps you will take to correct your mistakes. This has already been hashed and re-hashed in the time I have been reading these forums so I won't go on. In fact this has become a bit of a book. I was going to offer a couple of my more interesting inn tales, but this is quite long enough all ready, so another time, and I promise I'll never write this much again. Only one more thing. I don't quite understand why so many of you choose to be anonymous, and I shall respect that decision on your part, but I have no problem with, "letting it all hang out". I don't think I will ever say anything anyone could sue me for, and if I say something less than favorable about a guest and they see it - somehow, I'm sure I wouldn't want them to come back again anyway.

welcome.gif
from Ohio! Glad you decided to chime in!

Welcome Wyoming! Giddyup.
Anon? Inncognito.
embaressed_smile.gif
How else can you tell real guest stories? You will figure most out after a while reading threads, but it doesn't need to be obv to the guests - those bad bad guests (of which we have very few, but when we get them, WE GET THEM) and need to share experiences! We need a place to kick off our shoes...since we can't do it at home.

Your property is amazing! What an impressive fish tank. That must be beastly to clean. I think my 30 gallon is a challenge. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome from your Nebraska neighbor.
Looking forward to some of your stories.

Sign me up for the Moonshiner's Suite. Been to Wyoming, that's beautiful country for sure. Welcome.

Welcome! You are a day's drive from me! YAY! An innmate I might actually have a chance to meet!
cheers.gif

Welcome!
welcome.gif

I've not been to Wyoming yet but my brother hunts there every year. Loves it!

Welcome!
welcome.gif

I've not been to Wyoming yet but my brother hunts there every year. Loves it!.
What does he hunt? I get Antelope hunters from out-of-state book for several, sometimes three or four days, every fall. I tell them they better figure out what to do the second and third day here because they won't be hunting. Killing Antelope around here shouldn't even be called hunting, it's like shooting the proverbial fish in a barrel. They are beautiful animals, but we do have quite an abundance of them in Wyoming. So far I've been right, all the Antelope hunters I've had here, about a dozen, have filled their license within a couple of hours.

Welcome!
welcome.gif

What does he hunt? I get Antelope hunters from out-of-state book for several, sometimes three or four days, every fall. I tell them they better figure out what to do the second and third day here because they won't be hunting. Killing Antelope around here shouldn't even be called hunting, it's like shooting the proverbial fish in a barrel. They are beautiful animals, but we do have quite an abundance of them in Wyoming. So far I've been right, all the Antelope hunters I've had here, about a dozen, have filled their license within a couple of hours.
sunburst2 said:
Do they hunt on your property? If so, how difficult was it for you to find an insurance carrier for your B&B? We have deer and and wild pig here. I wanted to open up about 40 acres for bow hunting, but I've had a problem finding anyone to underwrite it above and beyond normal liability insurance.

Welcome!
welcome.gif

sunburst2 said:
Do they hunt on your property? If so, how difficult was it for you to find an insurance carrier for your B&B? We have deer and and wild pig here. I wanted to open up about 40 acres for bow hunting, but I've had a problem finding anyone to underwrite it above and beyond normal liability insurance.
No, PT they don't hunt on my property. I don't have Antelope on my property, they are pretty much flatlanders, although I occasionally see them a ways up the mountain. Most Antelope stay on the prairie, a couple thousand feet lower than where I am. On my property there are Deer, Bear, Mountain Lion, Turkey, and there are Elk in large enough numbers to be hunted about 5 miles away. I have about 150 acres, and am surrounded on 2 sides by sub-division tracts of 2 or 3 acres. The other direction is the ski area. Bow hunting is all that is allowed in this area, it's too residential - even though it's rural residential. I would not think 40 acres was enough room to do much hunting, but maybe???? So, I have no insurance issues regarding hunting. I am insured with State Farm, and happy with them; the insurance issue around here is wild fire.

Welcome!
welcome.gif

sunburst2 said:
As far as I know he hunts elk.

Back