Hello! This is Mrs. Jones calling...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
We stayed with you 3 years ago. You remember us don't you???
Well, no frankly I don't. Why do guests presume you do? How can an Innkeeper honestly answer that question.?
Clearly honesty is not the best policy in all cases.
So, is there a graceful reply? Your thoughts?

Avoid the question! 'Why Mrs Jones, it's so good to hear from you again! How are you doing? Planning to come and stay again? Wonderful! Now, I'll just need to make sure none of your info has changed since your last visit. And how is your wonderful husband? Could you just spell your first names for me? Oh, Bob and Anne, ha, ha, why was I thinking it was difficult?'
(You'll be ok with this as if they were horrid guests you WOULD remember them!)
I have 2 sets of guests who usually stay within a week of each other. One set, each of the wives have a very odd name, but they are very similar to each other. The other, the guests have the exact same name and usually pick the same room. The last time they showed up, I actually said, 'YOU! I was expecting someone else!' (OMG, shut up already!)
They know about the other guest with the same name. Duh. I only had to look at the address.

because they remember you. it's really a compliment (though stressful) i think i'd say 'why yes, i believe i do remember you. can you hold just one moment, please?' put them on hold and pull up the name in your guest database. that's why i was always putting in random comments about the guests that some might find 'superfluous' ....

Honesty is always the best policy.
I would be looking them up in my database or records as I was talking to them. This is why I make notes they all blur into one guest after a while. I tell them that, I say that means you were a great guest if I can't remember your faces. :) LOL

I would be looking them up in my database or records as I was talking to them. This is why I make notes they all blur into one guest after a while. I tell them that, I say that means you were a great guest if I can't remember your faces. :) LOL.
Joey Bloggs said:
See, this is where I think the little white lie comes in handy. The guest obviously loved the place and thought they were special. Better to not disabuse them of that, if at all possible.
I have had to apologize in person for not remembering someone who obviously (quoting chapter and verse about we talked about 3 years ago) remembered us very well. And that's when your line comes in handy.

I don't know why you would attempt to pretend you remember someone, I just don't get it. Three years ago, have you have any guests since then? Sure you have. It is no big deal, I would rather have an honest answer, but that is just me. People just say those things 'We're back! Remember us!?' No big deal.

well ~ i guess i'm hoping that my data base will jog my memory because i tend to think it's my memory that's the problem. if not, i've got to fess up. the worst was the day i went over to the general store and i didn't recognize guests staying with me RIGHT THEN. we all had a big laugh about it but ... oh my.

well ~ i guess i'm hoping that my data base will jog my memory because i tend to think it's my memory that's the problem. if not, i've got to fess up. the worst was the day i went over to the general store and i didn't recognize guests staying with me RIGHT THEN. we all had a big laugh about it but ... oh my..
Scarily enough that happens here ALL the time! I always have my radar on when we're out to eat or at the grocery store...do I know that person?

well ~ i guess i'm hoping that my data base will jog my memory because i tend to think it's my memory that's the problem. if not, i've got to fess up. the worst was the day i went over to the general store and i didn't recognize guests staying with me RIGHT THEN. we all had a big laugh about it but ... oh my..
seashanty, I'm with you on this one. I think when guests remember us, it's because we've made a powerful impact on them.
And, no, of course we can't remember everyone.
But when they so clearly remember us, it's not only potentially insulting to dismiss them, it just undoes all the work that went into making them feel special in the first place.
And often, after a few minutes of talking with a guest that I don't remember at all, suddenly I will. The great conversation comes back, the names of all the family members restored, the hikes they enjoyed remembered.
Sometimes notes have that same effect of jogging the old noggin and it's why I, too, keep notes.
Amazingly enough, I remember most guests. But every now and then I've had the same thing happen to me that you're describing. And every time I worked hard to recover and regain that bond as quickly as I could.
To me the bond with the guest who remembers every detail of their stay is too precious to lose. For most of us, it's why we do what we do. And we just don't want guests to think that we don't value them. IMHO.

I would guess that it all depends on the size of your place and how busy you are. We had just 3 guest rooms and with the help of my database..sometimes...I usually remembered everyone who stayed with us and called back for a repeat visit. I never let on that I didn't know who they were...but just chatted with them like I did and as we talked, I usually remembered them. Then there were some...all I had to do was hear their voice and I knew immediately who it was :)

I don't know why you would attempt to pretend you remember someone, I just don't get it. Three years ago, have you have any guests since then? Sure you have. It is no big deal, I would rather have an honest answer, but that is just me. People just say those things 'We're back! Remember us!?' No big deal..
What usually happens is I am frantically going thru the GMS looking for them and the last time they were here was not 3 years ago but 7-8! So I don't know them!
But, if I do find them and I don't remember them, I hate to hurt their feelings when it's obvious they remember being here so fondly.

I would guess that it all depends on the size of your place and how busy you are. We had just 3 guest rooms and with the help of my database..sometimes...I usually remembered everyone who stayed with us and called back for a repeat visit. I never let on that I didn't know who they were...but just chatted with them like I did and as we talked, I usually remembered them. Then there were some...all I had to do was hear their voice and I knew immediately who it was :).
That voice thing is amazing. I have some guests who I know immediately on the phone even if their name doesn't show on the caller id.
Then, I have one guest with almost the same name as her brother and I kept looking at her rez thinking, 'I know this person, but the name is wrong.' (Joseph and Joanne) I kept thinking 'Joe' and wondering why this Joanne's husband had a different name than last time! I had to ask her whne she arrived if she'd ever been here before and she said no. I told her the name was so familiar (Joe-Jo) and she said, 'Oh you mean my brother!'

I don't know why you would attempt to pretend you remember someone, I just don't get it. Three years ago, have you have any guests since then? Sure you have. It is no big deal, I would rather have an honest answer, but that is just me. People just say those things 'We're back! Remember us!?' No big deal..
What usually happens is I am frantically going thru the GMS looking for them and the last time they were here was not 3 years ago but 7-8! So I don't know them!
But, if I do find them and I don't remember them, I hate to hurt their feelings when it's obvious they remember being here so fondly.
Morticia said:
Tell them you would remember them better if they stayed more often. LOL!

Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
When they leave! I tell them, 'Don't stay away so long next time!'

seashanty said:
well ~ i guess i'm hoping that my data base will jog my memory because i tend to think it's my memory that's the problem. if not, i've got to fess up. the worst was the day i went over to the general store and i didn't recognize guests staying with me RIGHT THEN. we all had a big laugh about it but ... oh my.
That happens to me all the time! I'm far better remembering someone by name than by face.

seashanty said:
That happens to me all the time! I'm far better remembering someone by name than by face.
Little Blue said:
seashanty said:
email address. Amazing what sticks in this brain.

My latest was from someone who has NOT stayed with me at all!!!! She started with this is Mary Smith we have talked several times in the last 2-3 years and I am still trying to come visit. Started talking like we were old friends and she asked if I remembered her...well after several clues I DID. She is from CA, nuf said. (sorry to my cohearts in CA but come on, it's true!)

Back