Hello!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sco_oter

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I have been reading all the wonderful forums. This has to be the best education for me. Thank you so much for sharing your stories and your ups and your downs with all the B&B. It has opened my eyes to this business.
I am studying to see if my home is feasible to turn into a B&B with just two rooms to rent. I love my home and would love to be able to accommodate guests there on their travels. I think it would be wonderful. I have been compiling a list of why people would choose to stay in my home instead of closer to town. My home is handicap accessible and also my swimming pool is accessible. We have a 40 foot sun porch the over looks the Ohio River. But are 2 rooms enough for the endeavor? They are not huge rooms but the porch will be where people will want to spend the majority of their time to watch the boats pass.
I mainly just wanted to introduce myself and tell you all how much I appreciate you posting on this forum. You are such a blessing!
Jennifer Fox

My home is on the Ohio River. But not close enough to sit and watch it. If you have another job and benefits and just want to run a 2 room B & B as a homestay that might work. You really should have private baths for each bedroom. Is that possible? Most folks do NOT want to share a bathroom. There are a few exceptions we all know about..but in general...I wouldn't do it for sharing. Have you checked into zoning? THat is the FIRST thing to do. Even if you are only just thinking about it. You've probably already read some of the 'horror' zoning issues posted here . Welcome and good luck

Welcome!
welcome.gif

Let me be the first to ask: have you checked the zoning?
They have taught me well.
ETA: Dang it, CatLady! How can you type so fast?

Thanks Everyone!
I have checked the Zoning in my county and there is no zoning. The court house said that depends on my city and subdivistion if there is any organization of those two. Which there are not. I just have to register with the Occupational Tax. BUT! I am not going with her word for it. I am going to do some more research and call again and see if i can get ahold of someone else and make sure what I was told was true.
Currently we are working on remodeling one room. They do not have private baths and I have been researching adding a bathroom for the second room. We do have full bath and a half bath.

The other thing is with less than three rooms in some states/areas you don't need to collect lodging tax. It is more of a home stay vs a B&B by definition.
The issue with a smaller B&B is you will still need to outlay quite a bit, I will call it the Spaghetti theory. Making spaghetti for two people is yummy but it costs just a wee bit more to stretch it and make it for a larger group/family, so it is not as economical to make it for just two as it is for a larger family.

welcome.gif
We have 3 rooms and do fine but we could not live on this income alone, yet. Maybe when our children are completely on their own (after college) we'll have fewer expenses and this will be our primary income.

The other thing is with less than three rooms in some states/areas you don't need to collect lodging tax. It is more of a home stay vs a B&B by definition.
The issue with a smaller B&B is you will still need to outlay quite a bit, I will call it the Spaghetti theory. Making spaghetti for two people is yummy but it costs just a wee bit more to stretch it and make it for a larger group/family, so it is not as economical to make it for just two as it is for a larger family..
Joey Bloggs said:
I will call it the Spaghetti theory. Making spaghetti for two people is yummy but it costs just a wee bit more to stretch it and make it for a larger group/family, so it is not as economical to make it for just two as it is for a larger family.
A very good analogy.

welcome.gif
anything is possible, but information about everything is VITAL.
Congrats and good luck! Definantely keep a day job at first.
Is it better to have lots of rooms that don't get heads on beds or less rooms and you get lots of guests?

Thanks Everyone!
I have checked the Zoning in my county and there is no zoning. The court house said that depends on my city and subdivistion if there is any organization of those two. Which there are not. I just have to register with the Occupational Tax. BUT! I am not going with her word for it. I am going to do some more research and call again and see if i can get ahold of someone else and make sure what I was told was true.
Currently we are working on remodeling one room. They do not have private baths and I have been researching adding a bathroom for the second room. We do have full bath and a half bath..
#1 - get everything related to "Rules" in writing
#2 - figure out how/where for the second bath. Do it from day one because you will not regret it. If you do it later or don't do it, you will kick yourself and I am one who thought with the right clientelle a shared will work - but that was with yesterday's population. I say PRIVATE BATHS in today's world.
If the half bath is in what will be the "common area" fantastic. Just be sure you have YOUR OWN bathroom too.

The issue with a smaller B&B is you will still need to outlay quite a bit, I will call it the Spaghetti theory. Making spaghetti for two people is yummy but it costs just a wee bit more to stretch it and make it for a larger group/family, so it is not as economical to make it for just two as it is for a larger family..
Ooohhh - a theory that makes sense and relates to food. You've just added another phrase to my lexicon. Just be warned - because I love it and it makes sense I WILL be using it.

Hello (from the UK) What is the competition like? and what is their occupancy? I would go incognito and ring up and ask if they have rooms on certain dates to get a feel for what the local market is like. Also I would recomend doing a business plan and running some numbers especially with your breakfast ingredients too many people I know only have the vaguest idea what their costs are and whether they are making money. How to run a financially successful B&B by Lors Arduser & Douglas R Brown is the best I have found.

Also check taxes. You may be paying commercial even if you are residential.

I agree, you may turn that corner where you have to pay business tax, business cable, business this and business that! I say as I have my business license renewal form on my desk and have to bring it in to be notorized and paid tomorrow. Unfortunately you won't know everything really until you are in business.
You know I love our guests, majority anyway.
wink_smile.gif
Having one room for three days is not my cup of tea. I thoroughly enjoyed this room, really I did, but gimmee a bundle of rooms all at the same time, as I have to be "on" in the same manner with one room as three or four or six. It wears me out. Just thought I would mention that for the two room set up. I can't have it my way all the time...hard to believe, I know, but if I could have more than one room I wouldn't have to be the entertainment each day. Again, not complaining, just stating a fact of having one or two rooms, as much as it makes it easier the flip side is it makes it harder.

I agree, you may turn that corner where you have to pay business tax, business cable, business this and business that! I say as I have my business license renewal form on my desk and have to bring it in to be notorized and paid tomorrow. Unfortunately you won't know everything really until you are in business.
You know I love our guests, majority anyway.
wink_smile.gif
Having one room for three days is not my cup of tea. I thoroughly enjoyed this room, really I did, but gimmee a bundle of rooms all at the same time, as I have to be "on" in the same manner with one room as three or four or six. It wears me out. Just thought I would mention that for the two room set up. I can't have it my way all the time...hard to believe, I know, but if I could have more than one room I wouldn't have to be the entertainment each day. Again, not complaining, just stating a fact of having one or two rooms, as much as it makes it easier the flip side is it makes it harder..
We were a residence that became commercial. I had a residential phone and did not change it. The B & B is not listed in the phone book - locals are not going to stary here. Since I am also a residence and keep my garbage level low, the garbage hauler lets me stay at residence level instead of the higher commercial rate.
I do pay commercial real estate rates but that allows me to deduct 2/3 of my expenses for the house (I have it listed as 2/3 commercial with the assessor) on taxes. Real estate tax rates vary and by standards of other places my are a joke (meaning low) but then I am living on West Virginia dollars. My Illinois dollars went a long way in WV but barely paid expenses in Illinois. (Plumbers, electricians, etc cost about half here to what it was in Illinois and we do not want to even talk about difference in the taxes!)

Back