Help! Guest from Mexico City!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
I received an email from a guest from Mexico City who wants to stay with us tonight while visiting her daughter at a nearby school. I don't want to be rude but I really don't want to take her. I don't want to be in panic mode over the swine flu but I don't want to be naive either. What would you do?

This is what I was referring to when I first posted the topic. That's a tough one because they have said that people can transmit the disease even before they begin to show symptoms. I don't think anyone would fault you if you were "full."

Does she actually live in Mexico? We've had guests who've come to visit their kids at school who say they are 'from' one place but really live somewhere else.

Sorry,,in this case, I have no availability. I WOULD NOT TAKE ANY CHANCES THESE DAYS:-(

Does she actually live in Mexico? We've had guests who've come to visit their kids at school who say they are 'from' one place but really live somewhere else..
Bree said:
Does she actually live in Mexico? We've had guests who've come to visit their kids at school who say they are 'from' one place but really live somewhere else.
Yes, she's from Mexico City. I emailed her and told her we are full. I also called the school she is visiting to let them know she is arriving today to visit her daughter. They are very concerned as well. It's a tough one to get a handle on; how to protect the community without creating panic.

Does she actually live in Mexico? We've had guests who've come to visit their kids at school who say they are 'from' one place but really live somewhere else..
Bree said:
Yes, she's from Mexico City. I emailed her and told her we are full. I also called the school she is visiting to let them know she is arriving today to visit her daughter. They are very concerned as well. It's a tough one to get a handle on; how to protect the community without creating panic.
Yikes..that is a concern. Why would someone travel now???? Given she is from Mexico City..l think that is irresponsible. I know the chances are slim that she is infected..but my goodness..why take such a risk?? The airlines are not even charging for cancellations now. And, why did she wait so long to find accommodations if she was arriving today???? That is weird in my mind:-(

Bree said:
Yikes..that is a concern. Why would someone travel now???? Given she is from Mexico City..l think that is irresponsible. I know the chances are slim that she is infected..but my goodness..why take such a risk?? The airlines are not even charging for cancellations now. And, why did she wait so long to find accommodations if she was arriving today???? That is weird in my mind:-(
catlady said:
Maybe it's last minute because where she was originally booked won't take her now? I agree, why travel now from Mexico and expect to find housing!!
Riki

call me curious or maybe i am not understanding - she emailed and said i am visiting here from mexico city, etc etc? mostly i would get calls or emails, do you have a room?
anyway, wondering what the legality of this might become for all innkeepers/hoteliers i looked up some info
interesting reading from the hotel law blog

call me curious or maybe i am not understanding - she emailed and said i am visiting here from mexico city, etc etc? mostly i would get calls or emails, do you have a room?
anyway, wondering what the legality of this might become for all innkeepers/hoteliers i looked up some info
interesting reading from the hotel law blog.
Well if it is my B&B in my home......I can tell anyone I don't have availability anytime. But this issue will raise lots of questions i am sure.

Good find Seashanty.
This quote is particularly interesting:
[quote="Jim Abrams]
Q: Given all the publicity about the Swine Flu deaths in Mexico, should an innkeeper refuse guests Mexico?
A: The mere fact that there are many cases of Swine Flu in Mexico doesn't mean that everyone traveling from Mexico has the disease. Therefore, no blanket exclusion should be applied. Among other things, it could be argued that such a policy constitutes discrimination based on national origin in violation of both federal and state law.
[/quote]

That was interesting. The person would need to be at the door exhibiting signs and symptoms. I wonder if it's appropriate to ask if they are sick or have been in contact with sick people lately, 'given you are coming from Mexico City and certain countries have gone so far as to ban travel to your country.' Explaining that we obviously only have the news reports to go by and have no idea how widespread the flu is 'where you are from'.

That was interesting. The person would need to be at the door exhibiting signs and symptoms. I wonder if it's appropriate to ask if they are sick or have been in contact with sick people lately, 'given you are coming from Mexico City and certain countries have gone so far as to ban travel to your country.' Explaining that we obviously only have the news reports to go by and have no idea how widespread the flu is 'where you are from'.
I would think that kind of questioning would almost guarantee a discrimination issue...for me..better to say...sorry nothing available.

I would take her, wash hands a LOT, and I always put my guest's dishes in a bleach bath anyway. I really, in good conscience, could not turn away someone that I KNEW would have an impossible time finding a place to lay her head.
And how many of those who have reservations may have been on vacation last week? And who knows where they may have been OR who they may have been associating with? We are taking chances every day as we move through our daily routines. For instance - last Sunday was the Historical Association covered dish dinner and among those present was a local who was a missionary until she retired - newly back from a visit to Mexico. There she was shoulder to shoulder and cheek-to-cheek with the person sitting next to her on the bench at the trestle table...... And although there was conversation about the Swine Flu AND her Mexico trip, I doubt if anyone there thought for one minute that she could easily be a "carrier".

sending good thoughts to Mexico ...
and to anyone affected by the flu ...
and to all of you ....

Business as usual in Hawaii.
If H1N1 arrives, I am sure there will be another assessment. We will probably look to our government for any travel advisory before we consider any additional action.

I think we should consider some of the press as hype and exercise the appropriate precautions. We run the risk every day of getting folks with communicable diseases if they've been traveling via plane. Just my 2 cents.....

As luck would have it we had a guest from Texas today with chest congestion. She's from Texas but has been traveling around New Mexico for the past few days. In addition to the frequent hand washing and boiling water rinse for the dishes, I sprayed the areas she was in with spray disinfectant. When they are coughing and sneezing the germs are airborne and can be inhaled. That seemed to work for us.

Virginia officials confirm 2 cases of 'swine' flu in state The Roanoke Times
[COLOR= rgb(60, 60, 60)]Posted: 7:28 p.m. | Updated: 7:49 p.m. [/COLOR]
Virginia officials reported the state's first cases of H1N1 flu (swine flu), State Health Commissioner Karen Remley said Thursday in a press release.
The two individuals are an adult male from eastern Virginia and an adult female from central Virginia, the release said. Both had traveled to Mexico.
Both people, who are not students, had mild cases and were not hospitalized.

Back