Help! I under-charged a guest!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notAgrandma

Reaction score
This is a first for me. At check-in, I swiped my guest's credit card for a 3-night stay. However, I realized when I went to reconcile the guest's reservation in Expedia, I had undercharged him by $40. The guest is still here; he checks out tomorrow. He's been a great guest. Should I just "eat" the $40?

It's a Hotel Collect? Just tell him that you made a mistake in the amount and ask to pay it. It should be fine...
But if you want him to come back and LOVE you, send him a N/C gift certificate after he leaves for the $40 for a direct future booking.

If it makes you feel better I bet we have all done that, probably more than once.

If it makes you feel better I bet we have all done that, probably more than once..
Actually, this week I overcharged and the system didn't have a void ability.... I had to wait 24 hours to be able to give the customer the credit. Under $3 in total... but I had to fix it.

It's a Hotel Collect? Just tell him that you made a mistake in the amount and ask to pay it. It should be fine...
But if you want him to come back and LOVE you, send him a N/C gift certificate after he leaves for the $40 for a direct future booking..
She Undercharged him so a GC would really be an additional gift.

But if you want him to come back and LOVE you, send him a N/C gift certificate after he leaves for the $40 for a direct future booking..
No, you charge him the difference, but give it back in a GC for the same amount good for a year but only on direct booking. So if they come back in a year, they book direct and no commission.

I went with Generic's suggestion. I already have to pay Expedia $65 in commission on a 3-day reservation, and I really didn't want to be out another $40. I explained what happened to the guest. He was very gracious & didn't bat an eye about paying the extra amount. I told him that if his reservation had been directly through our website, I would've been able to adjust the price. (I know I can adjust it on Expedia too, but there's no need to mention that!) I also said I'll apply the $40 to his next stay, but to give me a call to place the reservation.
The guest described a hotel horror story that required him to be on the phone with Expedia for an hour to get a refund. He told a small hotelier that the AC in their room wasn't working and the hotel kicked him out for "complaining" !! My $40 error paled in comparison. :D

No, you charge him the difference, but give it back in a GC for the same amount good for a year but only on direct booking. So if they come back in a year, they book direct and no commission.
Got it!

I went with Generic's suggestion. I already have to pay Expedia $65 in commission on a 3-day reservation, and I really didn't want to be out another $40. I explained what happened to the guest. He was very gracious & didn't bat an eye about paying the extra amount. I told him that if his reservation had been directly through our website, I would've been able to adjust the price. (I know I can adjust it on Expedia too, but there's no need to mention that!) I also said I'll apply the $40 to his next stay, but to give me a call to place the reservation.
The guest described a hotel horror story that required him to be on the phone with Expedia for an hour to get a refund. He told a small hotelier that the AC in their room wasn't working and the hotel kicked him out for "complaining" !! My $40 error paled in comparison. :D.
Using Reskey? With Reskey you issue a gift certificate that you email him, set the year expiration and he just puts in the gift certificate number under Promo Code and it will instantly come off the reservation.

BTW... how about a thread with a nice introduction. I know who you are, but not everyone else does. Don't have to tell us what city or even the B&B name, but it would be nice to say that you are from ... I don't know, the mid-west, but originally from some nice state north of there... :)

The guest described a hotel horror story that required him to be on the phone with Expedia for an hour to get a refund. He told a small hotelier that the AC in their room wasn't working and the hotel kicked him out for "complaining" !! My $40 error paled in comparison. :D.
notAgrandma said:
I already have to pay Expedia $65 in commission
Good lord, I'm so glad I'm not with any OTAs

I would eat the $40 as it was your fault. No way I would charge the guest. Good lesson learned....and why do you pay those OTA's such a huge commission. NO WAY FOR ME!!!

I would eat the $40 as it was your fault. No way I would charge the guest. Good lesson learned....and why do you pay those OTA's such a huge commission. NO WAY FOR ME!!!.
EmptyNest said:
I would eat the $40 as it was your fault. No way I would charge the guest. Good lesson learned....and why do you pay those OTA's such a huge commission. NO WAY FOR ME!!!
Interesting. You mentioned something in an earlier post about the help that you provide your clients on their websites. So are you actually an innkeeper, EmptyNest? Or are you speaking from past experience as an innkeeper? Are you currently competing in the B&B market, which is dominated by OTAs and STRs? Expedia has generated $$thousands$$ for me in the past year. I'm not keen on paying their 15% commission. However, the fee of $65 only sounds "huge" because it was a 3-night reservation. If you'd read my reply to Generic, you would've seen that the guest was very kind & understanding, and I gave them a gift certificate towards a future stay.
Btw, I have met dozens of guests through Expedia who have never stayed at a B&B, saw our listing, and decided to take a chance. The only way they would've found my B&B is through an OTA. Many of these guests have become valued repeat guests, and we've opened their eyes to the B&B industry. You can stay on your high horse, ma'am!

BTW... how about a thread with a nice introduction. I know who you are, but not everyone else does. Don't have to tell us what city or even the B&B name, but it would be nice to say that you are from ... I don't know, the mid-west, but originally from some nice state north of there... :).
:D I was looking for a "hello" or "welcome" forum, but I didn't see one. Will do!

notAgrandma said:
I already have to pay Expedia $65 in commission
Good lord, I'm so glad I'm not with any OTAs
See my response to EmptyNest. It was $65 on 3-night stay in the middle of the week in our cheapest room. As my mentor Generic has said, "I use Expedia. They don't use me." I list one room with a vague description, "Queen bed, private bath with shower". I can move Expedia reservations into any room. Generally, Expedia bookings are put in my cheapest room, which pretty much negates the "loss" on Expedia's commission. Right now, Expedia is generating a substantial amount of bookings for us. I would rather pay Expedia a commission than pay Trip Advisor $1000+ for their lousy paid business listings.

Using Reskey? With Reskey you issue a gift certificate that you email him, set the year expiration and he just puts in the gift certificate number under Promo Code and it will instantly come off the reservation.
Oh, that's right! But Expedia only provides guests' cell phone #, not email, so I don't have his addy. Do you ask for guests' emails at c/i?

Oh, that's right! But Expedia only provides guests' cell phone #, not email, so I don't have his addy. Do you ask for guests' emails at c/i?
Ask Expedia for the email addresses, saying that you need to communicate with the guest for arrival times, etc. I get the guest's email with each reservation. In fact, the guests get a confirmation from me as soon as the reservation comes in from the OTA will all kinds of information. Those from BK get a second one warning them that if we haven't replied to an email in 24 hours, to email us directly as the email may have gotten lost in the BK system.
Or write in a sign in form and ask for it, for the future.

One of the things that I love about RK is that they can use their email to fill in the forms and not have to write it all over again.

I would eat the $40 as it was your fault. No way I would charge the guest. Good lesson learned....and why do you pay those OTA's such a huge commission. NO WAY FOR ME!!!.
EmptyNest said:
Interesting. You mentioned something in an earlier post about the help that you provide your clients on their websites. So are you actually an innkeeper, EmptyNest? Or are you speaking from past experience as an innkeeper? Are you currently competing in the B&B market, which is dominated by OTAs and STRs? Expedia has generated $$thousands$$ for me in the past year. I'm not keen on paying their 15% commission. However, the fee of $65 only sounds "huge" because it was a 3-night reservation. If you'd read my reply to Generic, you would've seen that the guest was very kind & understanding, and I gave them a gift certificate towards a future stay.
Btw, I have met dozens of guests through Expedia who have never stayed at a B&B, saw our listing, and decided to take a chance. The only way they would've found my B&B is through an OTA. Many of these guests have become valued repeat guests, and we've opened their eyes to the B&B industry. You can stay on your high horse, ma'am!
Empty Nest is a retired innkeeper. I am a current having just ce;ebrated 21 years in the innkeeping world. I am going to suggest ther removal of your last sentence. Insulting another person does you you good in any place.. IF removal is not possible, an apology is in order.
I do not use Air or any of the OTAs - that commidssion goes into a marketing pool I could never compete with. The OTAs own nothing, take responsibility for nothing, but provide many a cock-up for the innkeepers who take the blame for everything as they try to provide the best experience possible, and do nothing for the innkeeper except tell them how wonderful they are to take their money as they ask for cancel refunds for guests who stuck it to the innkeeper. I run my business, not some corporation that will eventually see a better cash cow down the road and drop what they are doing now for the bigger dollars AFTER they have squeezed the B & B market dry.
The OTAs are putting the small inns out of business as they convince them they must use them. Those guests belong to the OTA, not to you. YOU cannot cancel them, you do not control musch until they hit your door. I earned my seat.
PS: coming in with no intro and then getting hackles up is not the way to do things and expect all things pleasant.

EmptyNest said:
Empty Nest is a retired innkeeper. I am a current having just ce;ebrated 21 years in the innkeeping world. I am going to suggest ther removal of your last sentence. Insulting another person does you you good in any place.. IF removal is not possible, an apology is in order.
I do not use Air or any of the OTAs - that commidssion goes into a marketing pool I could never compete with. The OTAs own nothing, take responsibility for nothing, but provide many a cock-up for the innkeepers who take the blame for everything as they try to provide the best experience possible, and do nothing for the innkeeper except tell them how wonderful they are to take their money as they ask for cancel refunds for guests who stuck it to the innkeeper. I run my business, not some corporation that will eventually see a better cash cow down the road and drop what they are doing now for the bigger dollars AFTER they have squeezed the B & B market dry.
The OTAs are putting the small inns out of business as they convince them they must use them. Those guests belong to the OTA, not to you. YOU cannot cancel them, you do not control musch until they hit your door. I earned my seat.
PS: coming in with no intro and then getting hackles up is not the way to do things and expect all things pleasant.
Guillum, I use the OTAs... they don't use me. All winter long, I get rooms from them. And in the summer, I give them inventory at my leisure. Most of the time they don't get weekend availability or my best room... sometimes they do, but it may come with conditions, like 3 nights instead of 2. So when someone does a search on TA, I come up with no competition. Or sometimes I have a special price on 3 days that doesn't appear with 2. They fill my half weekends and my holes. And the guest leaves with my card. The next time they book they realize they get a better deal direct and they can book the room they want. And the terms are very different. I get a deposit and a strict cancellation with the OTAs that I don't have direct.
Commission is supposed to be about 15% to 18%, but the reality is that sometimes the prices aren't exactly the same. Oh, they may be exactly the same for a single night stay, but I do have discounts that appear for multiple night stays and weekly stays. And even in the winter, you may not be able to get 7 nights via the OTA, when you can get it easily on my site (with a discount.)
And this year, I think I have been paid a few thousand in cancellation fees from the OTAs... rooms that (in the summer) I have resold. All in all, I'm doing okay. Don't like them, but I'm doing business MY way with them... not their way.

Back