Help! I under-charged a guest!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would eat the $40 as it was your fault. No way I would charge the guest. Good lesson learned....and why do you pay those OTA's such a huge commission. NO WAY FOR ME!!!.
EmptyNest said:
I would eat the $40 as it was your fault. No way I would charge the guest. Good lesson learned....and why do you pay those OTA's such a huge commission. NO WAY FOR ME!!!
Interesting. You mentioned something in an earlier post about the help that you provide your clients on their websites. So are you actually an innkeeper, EmptyNest? Or are you speaking from past experience as an innkeeper? Are you currently competing in the B&B market, which is dominated by OTAs and STRs? Expedia has generated $$thousands$$ for me in the past year. I'm not keen on paying their 15% commission. However, the fee of $65 only sounds "huge" because it was a 3-night reservation. If you'd read my reply to Generic, you would've seen that the guest was very kind & understanding, and I gave them a gift certificate towards a future stay.
Btw, I have met dozens of guests through Expedia who have never stayed at a B&B, saw our listing, and decided to take a chance. The only way they would've found my B&B is through an OTA. Many of these guests have become valued repeat guests, and we've opened their eyes to the B&B industry. You can stay on your high horse, ma'am!
Empty Nest is a retired innkeeper. I am a current having just ce;ebrated 21 years in the innkeeping world. I am going to suggest ther removal of your last sentence. Insulting another person does you you good in any place.. IF removal is not possible, an apology is in order.
I do not use Air or any of the OTAs - that commidssion goes into a marketing pool I could never compete with. The OTAs own nothing, take responsibility for nothing, but provide many a cock-up for the innkeepers who take the blame for everything as they try to provide the best experience possible, and do nothing for the innkeeper except tell them how wonderful they are to take their money as they ask for cancel refunds for guests who stuck it to the innkeeper. I run my business, not some corporation that will eventually see a better cash cow down the road and drop what they are doing now for the bigger dollars AFTER they have squeezed the B & B market dry.
The OTAs are putting the small inns out of business as they convince them they must use them. Those guests belong to the OTA, not to you. YOU cannot cancel them, you do not control musch until they hit your door. I earned my seat.
PS: coming in with no intro and then getting hackles up is not the way to do things and expect all things pleasant.
Guillum, I use the OTAs... they don't use me. All winter long, I get rooms from them. And in the summer, I give them inventory at my leisure. Most of the time they don't get weekend availability or my best room... sometimes they do, but it may come with conditions, like 3 nights instead of 2. So when someone does a search on TA, I come up with no competition. Or sometimes I have a special price on 3 days that doesn't appear with 2. They fill my half weekends and my holes. And the guest leaves with my card. The next time they book they realize they get a better deal direct and they can book the room they want. And the terms are very different. I get a deposit and a strict cancellation with the OTAs that I don't have direct.
Commission is supposed to be about 15% to 18%, but the reality is that sometimes the prices aren't exactly the same. Oh, they may be exactly the same for a single night stay, but I do have discounts that appear for multiple night stays and weekly stays. And even in the winter, you may not be able to get 7 nights via the OTA, when you can get it easily on my site (with a discount.)
And this year, I think I have been paid a few thousand in cancellation fees from the OTAs... rooms that (in the summer) I have resold. All in all, I'm doing okay. Don't like them, but I'm doing business MY way with them... not their way.
Was going to delete my post per info fe-mailed by a friend but this reply blocked it. Per what my friend said - I reetract the huffy.
Nuff said. Welcome, Notagrandma. I am a Granny. Give us an intro and let's start over.

I would eat the $40 as it was your fault. No way I would charge the guest. Good lesson learned....and why do you pay those OTA's such a huge commission. NO WAY FOR ME!!!.
EmptyNest said:
I would eat the $40 as it was your fault. No way I would charge the guest. Good lesson learned....and why do you pay those OTA's such a huge commission. NO WAY FOR ME!!!
Interesting. You mentioned something in an earlier post about the help that you provide your clients on their websites. So are you actually an innkeeper, EmptyNest? Or are you speaking from past experience as an innkeeper? Are you currently competing in the B&B market, which is dominated by OTAs and STRs? Expedia has generated $$thousands$$ for me in the past year. I'm not keen on paying their 15% commission. However, the fee of $65 only sounds "huge" because it was a 3-night reservation. If you'd read my reply to Generic, you would've seen that the guest was very kind & understanding, and I gave them a gift certificate towards a future stay.
Btw, I have met dozens of guests through Expedia who have never stayed at a B&B, saw our listing, and decided to take a chance. The only way they would've found my B&B is through an OTA. Many of these guests have become valued repeat guests, and we've opened their eyes to the B&B industry. You can stay on your high horse, ma'am!
Empty Nest is a retired innkeeper. I am a current having just ce;ebrated 21 years in the innkeeping world. I am going to suggest ther removal of your last sentence. Insulting another person does you you good in any place.. IF removal is not possible, an apology is in order.
I do not use Air or any of the OTAs - that commidssion goes into a marketing pool I could never compete with. The OTAs own nothing, take responsibility for nothing, but provide many a cock-up for the innkeepers who take the blame for everything as they try to provide the best experience possible, and do nothing for the innkeeper except tell them how wonderful they are to take their money as they ask for cancel refunds for guests who stuck it to the innkeeper. I run my business, not some corporation that will eventually see a better cash cow down the road and drop what they are doing now for the bigger dollars AFTER they have squeezed the B & B market dry.
The OTAs are putting the small inns out of business as they convince them they must use them. Those guests belong to the OTA, not to you. YOU cannot cancel them, you do not control musch until they hit your door. I earned my seat.
PS: coming in with no intro and then getting hackles up is not the way to do things and expect all things pleasant.
Thanks Kathleen! I was not going to dignify it with a reply. You run your business the way I used to run mine and I would never give a penny of my income to an OTA..thankfully back then it wasn't necessary.

EmptyNest said:
Thanks Kathleen! I was not going to dignify it with a reply. You run your business the way I used to run mine and I would never give a penny of my income to an OTA..thankfully back then it wasn't necessary.
EmptyNest said:
Thanks Kathleen! I was not going to dignify it with a reply.
[h2]
thumbs_up.gif
[/h2]

EmptyNest said:
We each need to respect the personal decisions of others and the changes that time requires as well.

EmptyNest said:
@Gillumhouse - I apologize to *you* for coming across as unpleasant. In another forum topic ("Hand-written reviews"), in response to the second time I've ever posted to innspiring, I perceived that EmptyNest insulted both my intelligence "NO ONE and I mean NO ONE is going to read 250 reviews you post on your website!" and my integrity "Of course you will only post good ones and people know that. That is why they look to TA." I don't take kindly to someone insinuating that I'm dishonest. EmptyNest went on to reply to all my subsequent posts on any forum with apparent little digs or jabs. I will ignore her in the future and not engage.
You response clarifying that EmptyNest is retired explains a lot. She's not competing in today's cutthroat market. I don't think stating that someone is taking an aloof stance and chiding me for how I advertise my inn is unpleasant. I did call her "ma'am", after all.

EmptyNest said:
@Gillumhouse - I apologize to *you* for coming across as unpleasant. In another forum topic ("Hand-written reviews"), in response to the second time I've ever posted to innspiring, I perceived that EmptyNest insulted both my intelligence "NO ONE and I mean NO ONE is going to read 250 reviews you post on your website!" and my integrity "Of course you will only post good ones and people know that. That is why they look to TA." I don't take kindly to someone insinuating that I'm dishonest. EmptyNest went on to reply to all my subsequent posts on any forum with apparent little digs or jabs. I will ignore her in the future and not engage.
You response clarifying that EmptyNest is retired explains a lot. She's not competing in today's cutthroat market. I don't think stating that someone is taking an aloof stance and chiding me for how I advertise my inn is unpleasant. I did call her "ma'am", after all.
On the left side is a section called "ignore list", you are both welcome to add each other.
I'll be honest, I have someone on here on my ignore list. Sometimes our personalities don't match. Sometimes it just takes a while to know someone better.

notAgrandma said:
This is a first for me. At check-in, I swiped my guest's credit card for a 3-night stay. However, I realized when I went to reconcile the guest's reservation in Expedia, I had undercharged him by $40. The guest is still here; he checks out tomorrow. He's been a great guest. Should I just "eat" the $40?
Honestly, if the guest were still in our house, we would run the card for the $40 and alert him that he'd be receiving a second confirmation and 'my bad!'

Because they fill the beds. Room rate minus 15% is way more than $0.

Thus far I've not used OTA's and often struggle with the question as to if I should attempt to play the game. At the suggestion of my friends here we did go to on online bookings with RK last year, but there is still a lot of personal connection with my guests which I wouldn't want to lose and I've heard various horror stories of problems with OTA bookings.
TheBeachHouse said:
I do ponder that thought frequently, but would we get more guests if we just reduced our rates without the OTA? In our case I feel rates have always been on the reasonable side, is it really a gain if I raise rates and give up the control only to keep the same net? Throw in the idea that more rentals mean more wear and tear and costs, have I really gained in the end? I appreciate the info in Generic's post, how do each of you using OTA's play the game to make it most useful for your benefit?

Thus far I've not used OTA's and often struggle with the question as to if I should attempt to play the game. At the suggestion of my friends here we did go to on online bookings with RK last year, but there is still a lot of personal connection with my guests which I wouldn't want to lose and I've heard various horror stories of problems with OTA bookings.
TheBeachHouse said:
I do ponder that thought frequently, but would we get more guests if we just reduced our rates without the OTA? In our case I feel rates have always been on the reasonable side, is it really a gain if I raise rates and give up the control only to keep the same net? Throw in the idea that more rentals mean more wear and tear and costs, have I really gained in the end? I appreciate the info in Generic's post, how do each of you using OTA's play the game to make it most useful for your benefit?
We get about 50% of our bookings through the OTA's. So for us, it is very worth it.
I wish that were not true. Since buying the house, we've nearly doubled occupancy. And we credit the internet. People who don't know the area go to a list. "show me all the hotels in this town." We need to be on the list.

TheBeachHouse said:
OTAs want to use you. Your job is to use them. That's the only way the game is fair.
Looking at the month of July. I have a few OTA bookings, the only one that includes a weekend is a 3 day reservation... why? Because I set it as a 3 day reservation for the OTAs, while I offered it as a 2 day reservation on my system. The rest are weekdays and orphans (single nights). They fill in my calendar... they aren't my main clients.

TheBeachHouse said:
OTAs want to use you. Your job is to use them. That's the only way the game is fair.
Looking at the month of July. I have a few OTA bookings, the only one that includes a weekend is a 3 day reservation... why? Because I set it as a 3 day reservation for the OTAs, while I offered it as a 2 day reservation on my system. The rest are weekdays and orphans (single nights). They fill in my calendar... they aren't my main clients.
exactly - we have no bookings for August OTA just havn't opened it up - pretty full already anyway and good long bookings. - July we have regular events so booked up for them - just need bits of gaps between filling.

EmptyNest said:
Not A Grandma, I think you owe Empty Nest an apology. (Also I have not seen a post telling us about yourself.)

EmptyNest said:
Not A Grandma, I think you owe Empty Nest an apology. (Also I have not seen a post telling us about yourself.)
In another forum topic ("Hand-written reviews"), in response to the second time I've ever posted to innspiring, I perceived that EmptyNest insulted both my intelligence "NO ONE and I mean NO ONE is going to read 250 reviews you post on your website!" and my integrity "Of course you will only post good ones and people know that. That is why they look to TA." I don't take kindly to someone insinuating that I'm dishonest. EmptyNest went on to reply to all my subsequent posts on any forum with apparent little digs or jabs. I feel that EmptyNest owes me an apology, but to each their own.
I will introduce myself asap. I guess I'm supposed to do it in the general forum, since there isn't a forum dedicated to new users.

Back