Help me plan a trip to Maine!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
DW and I are wanting to plan a trip to Maine/New England next year. We'll probably take about two weeks.
Can anyone suggest an itinerary and of course some awesome B&Bs? We'll be flying in from Texas, but aren't sure of the best place to start.

What do you want to see? Are you looking to get a taste of the whole state or just certain parts? Just Maine or parts of New England?
More to come when you've narrowed it down a bit! Which would include where to fly into, where to drive to, where to stay, etc.

We've already done the fall foliage in Vermont and have seen parts of rest of New England. So, I guess we're going to focus primarily on Maine and maybe venture up into Canada and Nova Scotia.

We've already done the fall foliage in Vermont and have seen parts of rest of New England. So, I guess we're going to focus primarily on Maine and maybe venture up into Canada and Nova Scotia..
Time of year?
Southwest flies into Manchester, NH (will fly into Portland, ME but I don't know when). Southwest seeming to have the best rates.
You can start right in Kittery and make your way north on Rt 1 all the way to Canada and stick totally to the coast. Or, you can veer off inland at Portland and hit the lakes & mountains and then head back to the coast for Canada (Nova Scotia) or stick to the inland routes and go to New Brunswick (brush up on your French in northern Maine & NB!)
Kennebunk/port if you want to see the Bush spread in Maine.
More after I clean rooms...

We flew into Boston years ago and drove up to Maine. Visited the usual Boston sights/sites and Sturbridge Village MA. Visited Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket and ended up in Bar Harbor. We missed Morticia's area of Maine because 10 days is just not long enough to really see everything that we wanted to see. I would have a "base" and then figure out where you want to strike out to from there.

PT, I can't help you with planning your trip to Maine (as I've never been there), but I can offer my services as an Inn-sitter if you are interested - check my availability chart on my website - I'd love to come to Texas (as I've never been there before either)!

If you are interested in a wonderful cabin in the NORTH MAINE woods, let me know- email me. He is a Registered Maine Guide who built a cabin for families and for hunters, both.

Hey PT .... Sorry I didn't respond earlier, we spent a long weekend in NYC (partly for DH's 50th B Day).
Now - of course I am completely and unabashedly biased - I love my area of Mid Coast Maine. An hour from Portland and right off Rte 1, so you have easy access to Camden, Boothbay, Rockland (for the Farnsworth and Owls Head Transportation Museum), many lighthouses and even good for a day trip to Bar Harbor / Acadia). We are at the head of the Pemaquid Peninsula which is home to one of Maine's quintessential lighthouses, the local oysters are reputed to be some of the best in the world and there's a local ale that we think is exceptional.
OK - I'm getting carried away :) Rather than bore everyone, PLEASE feel free to send me an e-mail. Of course we'd be thrilled to see you here, but I'm also really happy to pass on whatever other nuggets I can think of.

PT I hope you can visit all of our innmates in Maine. It does a body good to meet these characters in real life, you will agree - or go running out the door. :)
Seriously, you will get the perspective thing, why certain innkeepers post things, once you have been to their inn and met them in person. It is much fun and will highlight your vacation in a positive way!

PT I hope you can visit all of our innmates in Maine. It does a body good to meet these characters in real life, you will agree - or go running out the door. :)
Seriously, you will get the perspective thing, why certain innkeepers post things, once you have been to their inn and met them in person. It is much fun and will highlight your vacation in a positive way!.
I agree! You can really see things from other innkeepers' perspectives when you visit them. And, they are always such wonderful hosts! :)

Here is a map you might find useful from Scott at Brewster House.
and don't miss the right sidebar articles and past blog articles on his blog as well.

Seriously, you will get the perspective thing, why certain innkeepers post things, once you have been to their inn and met them in person. It is much fun and will highlight your vacation in a positive way!.
Joey Bloggs said:
Seriously, you will get the perspective thing, why certain innkeepers post things, once you have been to their inn and met them in person. It is much fun and will highlight your vacation in a positive way!
We would absolutely love to do that. If you Maine-e-aks will send me an email with your website, we'll check them out and see if we can fit them into an itinerary.
send to: [email protected]

Back