Help! My hands are killing me!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
With all the cleaning, kitchen work, dishes....etc....my hands are dry, cracked and sore. My fingertips split and bleed. They are a painful mess. I have been trying to wear gloves, but that isn't making a huge difference.
Is anyone else battling winter dry hands and what are you doing about it?

My heels are cracked and I find that Burt's Bees foot concoction works really well. I just can't take the smell. It's not offensive, it's just strong for me.
Have you tried Bag Balm overnight?

My husband has the same problem (he's the dishwasher). He has found a product like this one (I got similar ones years ago) worn overnight with lotion slathered on underneath helps tremendously.

My husband has the same problem (he's the dishwasher). He has found a product like this one (I got similar ones years ago) worn overnight with lotion slathered on underneath helps tremendously..
muirford said:
My husband has the same problem (he's the dishwasher). He has found a product like this one (I got similar ones years ago) worn overnight with lotion slathered on underneath helps tremendously.
Yes, I already moisturize and sleep in gloves. Its not enough. I have tried Bag Balm which we use on the livestock...I just hate the smell.

I use Coconut OIl. Organic, cold-pressed, unrefined. I take 1-3 tablespoons a day, just take a spoonful and let it dissolve in my mouth. Delicious. And then I take 1/4 tsp a couple of times a day a use as a skin moisturizer. On my face, neck, and hands.
I used to have dry cracked lips and hands all the time. Since I've been doing the coconut oil, my skin is never dry and my lips are never chapped.

My husband has the same problem (he's the dishwasher). He has found a product like this one (I got similar ones years ago) worn overnight with lotion slathered on underneath helps tremendously..
muirford said:
Yes, I already moisturize and sleep in gloves. Its not enough. I have tried Bag Balm which we use on the livestock...I just hate the smell.
Lotion and plain gloves didn't work for him, either. These have some kind of gel coating on the inside. The ones we have are these - the gel is supposedly used to help burn victims' skin heal. I don't know if you can still get them from the original company, or if the newer ones are the same. You don't need to use lotion but we found a little regular skin lotion helped.

I really like Melaluca's Renew. It is thick and creamy. Soaks right in and never comes back to the surface. (No, I don't sell the stuff, just have a bottle of it on my dresser ;) )
It's a little on the expensive side, but worth every penny to me because I only use about a nickel size dollop one time per day. The bottle is 20 or 24 ozs, I think, so it'll last me the rest of this lifetime!!! :)

i am so sorry!
i have had the same problem for years, every winter, depending on how much my hands are exposed to cold and to water. i use lotion and cotton gloves, lotion and socks on feet at night (really attractive) - during the night, i end up pulling off the gloves. i like common sense 100% high purity lanolin (i buy it online) it's very sticky but thins as it warms on the skin. some people can't use it .... edit ... if you buy it, look for a pure lanolin without additives
when/if my hands get to the bleeding stage, i use hydrocortisone (over the counter). once healed, i stop. it's not recommended for prolonged use ... but when your hands are bleeding you have to take drastic measures.
whenever it feels even a bit cold outside, i wear gloves. always. i have several pair of those little stretchy gloves that look like a child's glove. i keep some in the car, in jacket and coat pockets, in my hand bag.
good luck.

I try to get ahead of it when the cold weather starts, but every year I still end up with the drying and cracking. I start out using the over-the-counter creams, Nivea, Vaseline Intensive Care, etc., but when it gets bad, the only thing that heals them is plain ole Vaseline. I put it on generously at night and put lightweight socks over my hands to sleep in. (I know, sounds crazy) I don't have to do that too many nights, maybe 3-4 at most and then hands are mostly healed and at least not hurting. I do a lot of typing during the day, so if the tips of my fingers are dry, cracked and bleeding, it's oh so sore. The Vaseline contains no perfumes or additives either, so it's never been a problem with either a reaction or with a smell. Good luck.

Mary Kay cosmetics makes an Extra Emollient Night Cream that I think works wonders too - you can put it on at night. It looks and feels greasy, but it is not (and doesn't leave grease marks like some products) I usually put it on my feet at night, but I'm sure it works just as well on your hands! Just ask for the thick pink stuff!

I use 100% shea butter, I put it on before bed and in the morning and pretty much any time my hands start getting dry again. It creates a water barrier. It's an all natural vegetable/nut oil, it feels oily when you put it on, but within a minute or so, it soaks in and your hands are nice and soft again and not greasy. Costs about 6 bucks for a tub the size of the regular size bag balm, you can get it at Vitamin Cottage. DH and I were talking about this last night, because our hands are so much better now, tried all the other stuff too...make sure you keep wearing the gloves when you clean tho'. Shea butter was the only thing that would clear up my son's asthmatic related eczema, when he was a toddler, worked like a charm.

Back