Help! Need some recipes for a guest with many food restrictions.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfside

Reaction score
We are expecting a guest who is extremely allergic. Here is a list of what she CAN NOT have: meat, fish, eggs, cows milk, walnut.
She can have sheeps or goats milk, yougurt and cheese, fruit and veggies.
They are staying for 3 nights, so we will need to come up with 3 breakfasts and 3 dinners to accomodate this diet. Any ideas are much appreciated.

3 breakfasts and 3 dinners on such a restricted diet? i don't think i could take such a reservation unless she brings her own main courses and i supply the fruit and vegetables.

I see that you have a dinner menu with different choices. Why in the heck did they and ultimately you, let them accept the added dinners options? It's too much to deal with.
As far as breakfast, treat her like a vegan. Roasted or fried potatoes, fruit, tofu scramble with veggies, oatmeal, smoothie made with coconut milk or soy milk. Does her 'meat' allergy include poultry? Get some chicken sausage to serve.
There's a few recipes on this site for vegan dishes.
Good luck!

My grocery has goat milk in the canned milk section. I think the crock pot cereal recipe would work. I do not remember if it has walnuts, but it is easy to leave that out.
Steamed or roasted veggies and salad = dinner. Chop some fresh basil for the salad - that will liven up a blah salad.

Thai green curry for one dinner, vegetables, curry sauce in a coconut milk based sauce, falafel for another dinner, on a bed of steamed greens (falafel recipe), and maybe a country picnic style dinner of corn on the cob, potato salad, and beets for color and sweetness. I would do similarly to Diva on the breakfasts. I have a one nighter tonight with similar restrictions plus gluten free. I'm using the wheat free cornbread recipe I tried last week. Look to the right on this page under Newest Recipes.
I think they choose us because as others have said, they won't get these kinds of options in a hotel. And as we all know, isn't it nice to take a break and go somewhere away, where someone else does the shopping and cooking for a change?

GOOD GRIEF! I would never have taken her reservation unless you are used to making meals for special diets. Do you do dinner also? YIKE! Why can't she go to a restaurant for dinner? She is going to be underfoot the entire time? OH MY good luck. Not someone I would care to deal with. Sorry.

3 breakfasts and 3 dinners on such a restricted diet? i don't think i could take such a reservation unless she brings her own main courses and i supply the fruit and vegetables..
seashanty said:
3 breakfasts and 3 dinners on such a restricted diet? i don't think i could take such a reservation unless she brings her own main courses and i supply the fruit and vegetables.
I agree. You're not running a health clinic for the chronically allergic. Tell them to bring their own food if the must. Discount them if you have to, but I wouldn't. We are Bed and Breakfasts. The second half of what we are is about the food we prepare most of it is chock full of eggs, gluten and fat (mm-boy!)
Would you go to an Ethopian Restaurant and ask them to make you something "less ethnic" because you can't handle spicy foods? Heck no. You'd go some place else. If they can't handle your menu, then you'd be better off without them. I know that may sound a little mean, but what they are demanding is a form of PITA terrorism.
pita.gif

Most of these special menus end up costing us more and impacting our bottom line.

3 breakfasts and 3 dinners on such a restricted diet? i don't think i could take such a reservation unless she brings her own main courses and i supply the fruit and vegetables..
seashanty said:
I agree. You're not running a health clinic for the chronically allergic. Tell them to bring their own food if the must. Discount them if you have to, but I wouldn't. We are Bed and Breakfasts. The second half of what we are is about the food we prepare most of it is chock full of eggs, gluten and fat (mm-boy!)
Would you go to an Ethopian Restaurant and ask them to make you something "less ethnic" because you can't handle spicy foods? Heck no. You'd go some place else. If they can't handle your menu, then you'd be better off without them. I know that may sound a little mean, but what they are demanding is a form of PITA terrorism.
pita.gif

Most of these special menus end up costing us more and impacting our bottom line.
"Most of these special menus end up costing us more and impacting our bottom line"
Actually it usually is wasted: Scenario #1) you go to all the trouble and they no show (without a word about it) for breakfast, or #2) they pick at few pieces and move it around and don't eat it anyway.
I always remember the girl with the 10 page long "I can't eat this" list. When I freshened the room I saw cases of Pepsi. Not "a" pepsi. She had an eating disorder, I believe, but the pepsi was the only thing she could and would "eat". I remember asking her to bring her own food (this was many years ago, and htere was simply nothing on the planet she was able to eat, she did tell me she could have macadamias...)
whattha.gif

seashanty said:
pita.gif

We had a newspaper reviewer go to a local Italian place with a friend and the friend's kid. In her review is a complaint that they did not offer hamburgers and fries for kids. WTH is wrong with people? Would they go to McD's and complain there was no pizza?

Hello,
Yes, a little challenging but now's the time to flex your creativity :) Here are some suggestions for breakfast:
a) Oatmeal made with soy milk/ rice milk/ almond milk with fresh fruit on top
b) Cinnamon French Toast with Carmelized Bananas and Fresh Maple Syrup (instead of eggs and milk
use soy milk/ silken tofu, you can get recipes on About.com/ Care2 and Vegetarian Times)
c) Do you have access to Quinoa where you live? You can make something similar to oatmeal with this yummy seed (that tastes like a grain)
d) Rice Pudding- again substitute milk with the many, many other alternative liquids
e) Scrambled tofu and saute with herbs/ spices/ vegetables
Dinners:
a) Vegan Tofu and Vegetable Pot Pie
b) Any kind of soup (yes I know it's summer but what about gazpacho or chilled avocado soup with a twist of lime (I saw a Vegan quiche recipe in one of my magazines.. easy to Google a recipe)
c) Vegetable Stir Fry with Brown Rice
d) Vegetable Casserole (tomatoes/ basil/onions/yellow squash/ whatever you have laying around vegetable wise, saute in pan on low heat/ season it to your taste... about an hour in the end put in a casserole dish and sprinkle cheese on top (serve with rice or salad/bread)

Oh, I thought of another easy and cost effective recipe for dinner: Meatless Chili/Taco. All you do is substitue the meat with the tofu crumbles/ tofu block. It is one of the easiest and fastest recipes ever, especially if you can buy one of those Taco Mix pouches/ Chili Mix pouches. Pair it with a nice/ homemade cornbread and rice and for dessert you can chop up some watermelon and sprinkle some minced mint on top... refreshes the palate.

Back