Help! Someone added my inn to Google with the wrong name and location

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Help me figure out how to make the bad listing go away. I thought if I just updated it to be right then that would help, but I don't want two competing listings on Google maps. I use Google maps so guests can print directions. MY link to the map goes to the wrong location now. When I tried to get a new link all I get are paid ads surrounding my listing. Don't want that!

good luck!
i am sorry to say it took ages (over a year) to get a wrong listing removed. it had my phone number, my info, but it was in warren maine. i don't know how that happened. all i could do was barrage them with requests. i did get a few people phone calls (i mean real people at google) but it still took a long time.

good luck!
i am sorry to say it took ages (over a year) to get a wrong listing removed. it had my phone number, my info, but it was in warren maine. i don't know how that happened. all i could do was barrage them with requests. i did get a few people phone calls (i mean real people at google) but it still took a long time..
I can find my inn the right location. Thank goodness that hasn't changed. Once before I had a secondary listing as well. And, yes, it took forever to get rid of it. This looks like someone just threw it out there and Google took it. I noticed it's more like a Wiki now, Google didn't ask for any verifying details when I went to adjust the wrong listing.

Hmm I fixed a clients wrong location in a day.....
that is probably because the u.s. postal service recognized their street address. the post office does not/will not deliver mail to the street address where i was ... and requires the use of a post office box. fine, except that when a mapping system using the postal service's addresses to verify an address, you have to jump through hoops to get verified. i don't want to rehash my whole experience. bree's is different.

that is probably because the u.s. postal service recognized their street address. the post office does not/will not deliver mail to the street address where i was ... and requires the use of a post office box. fine, except that when a mapping system using the postal service's addresses to verify an address, you have to jump through hoops to get verified. i don't want to rehash my whole experience. bree's is different.
Part of my problem was that awhile ago I put a link to the Google map on my site. When I did that, my inn was in the right location with the right name. I made some changes to the directions page today so I was clicking links to check them. Up pops my Google map page with this wrong listing. How THAT happened, I don't know because the code was right, with all the right info, when I first set it up on my website.
Then I had to go thru the whole setup again, find the right link to the Google map with my correct name and location and redo my webpage.
I COULD hit the button on the new, wrong listing to say 'remove' but I have no idea what that would do to the real, good listing. I don't know if they are interrelated in any way.
Why someone would think they were doing me a favor by listing my inn with the wrong name and location is beyond me.
If I do a town search and the Google map shows up, then I'm in the right location. But this odd listing pops up here and there.

Another problem I just found is that if I enter my address it pulls up the wrong listing instead of the right one. Why this crap never happens to the other B&B's I just don't know.

Part of my problem was that awhile ago I put a link to the Google map on my site. When I did that, my inn was in the right location with the right name. I made some changes to the directions page today so I was clicking links to check them. Up pops my Google map page with this wrong listing. How THAT happened, I don't know because the code was right, with all the right info, when I first set it up on my website.
Then I had to go thru the whole setup again, find the right link to the Google map with my correct name and location and redo my webpage.
I COULD hit the button on the new, wrong listing to say 'remove' but I have no idea what that would do to the real, good listing. I don't know if they are interrelated in any way.
Why someone would think they were doing me a favor by listing my inn with the wrong name and location is beyond me.
If I do a town search and the Google map shows up, then I'm in the right location. But this odd listing pops up here and there.
GIve it a few days to clear itself up. It sounds like only a few datacenters have the wrong data if sometimes you see it wrong and the other times you see it right. It is likely to clear itself up in a week or less. Jumping to alter it will likely make it worse. If after a week it is still there, then try to have it removed.
"Somebody" is not likely a person. ;)

I had the same problem. I was listed twice. One was correct and the other map was wrong. It did take a long time to get it fixed. Did you try to log into the google business center? When I did that I was able to make the change. When you request to make a change google will call your business telephone number with a special pin number to put in and make changes. It will then take a while to update on the search engine.

GIve it a few days to clear itself up. It sounds like only a few datacenters have the wrong data if sometimes you see it wrong and the other times you see it right. It is likely to clear itself up in a week or less. Jumping to alter it will likely make it worse. If after a week it is still there, then try to have it removed.
swirt said:
If it was the right name I might agree. But it's 'sort of' the right name. As in, if my name were 'The Blue Spruce Inn' this one is called 'The Blue Inn'. But the link to my inn is attached to it. So, it's not actually picking up the 'real' inn twice, it's two different names with the same info, with one in the wrong location and with the wrong name.
If I enter the inn's address into Google search, I get the wrong place (and I don't get the right place at all). If I enter 'town, state B&B' I get the right place.
And, like I said before, it's like a Wiki now...when I moved the 'wrong' inn to the right location, there was no verification required, no phone number or postcard was going to be sent. So, essentially, anyone can add anything to the map and there it sits. There was even a link for me to add places that were missing. As in, 'Add places you've been to the map!'

I had the same problem. I was listed twice. One was correct and the other map was wrong. It did take a long time to get it fixed. Did you try to log into the google business center? When I did that I was able to make the change. When you request to make a change google will call your business telephone number with a special pin number to put in and make changes. It will then take a while to update on the search engine..
oceans said:
I had the same problem. I was listed twice. One was correct and the other map was wrong. It did take a long time to get it fixed. Did you try to log into the google business center? When I did that I was able to make the change. When you request to make a change google will call your business telephone number with a special pin number to put in and make changes. It will then take a while to update on the search engine.
Yes, when I had that problem before that's what I did. The problem with this second listing is that it is not exactly the same inn name. And last time I tried deleting the wrong inn, the right inn got deleted by Google instead!

OK, I logged into my Google account and hit the 'remove' button on the wrong listing. Supposedly someone will investigate why it should be removed. Again, I can only hope they remove the bad listing and leave the good one!

swirt said:
If it was the right name I might agree. But it's 'sort of' the right name. As in, if my name were 'The Blue Spruce Inn' this one is called 'The Blue Inn'. But the link to my inn is attached to it. So, it's not actually picking up the 'real' inn twice, it's two different names with the same info, with one in the wrong location and with the wrong name.
If I enter the inn's address into Google search, I get the wrong place (and I don't get the right place at all). If I enter 'town, state B&B' I get the right place.
And, like I said before, it's like a Wiki now...when I moved the 'wrong' inn to the right location, there was no verification required, no phone number or postcard was going to be sent. So, essentially, anyone can add anything to the map and there it sits. There was even a link for me to add places that were missing. As in, 'Add places you've been to the map!'
Yes google is trying out some form of wiki type editing of the results, however, that editing (like the move this listing up, or remove this listing) is only only custom for you. It does not effect the others. I have not seen a clear explanation of the custom search relation to the map.
I think the incorrect one, will get removed, especially now that you flagged it for deletion.
Unfortunately the map alterations can take a while for them to act on.

swirt said:
Yes google is trying out some form of wiki type editing of the results, however, that editing (like the move this listing up, or remove this listing) is only only custom for you. It does not effect the others. I have not seen a clear explanation of the custom search relation to the map.
I think the incorrect one, will get removed, especially now that you flagged it for deletion.
swirt said:
"You get what you pay for," as my BIL says to me when I complain about Google...

Complain about google? Look at your alternatives...MSN, Yahoo, Alta Vista, Lycos, etc...
Trying to get relevant search results on those engines is like pulling teeth. Google is hands down the best thing that ever happened to the internet.

Complain about google? Look at your alternatives...MSN, Yahoo, Alta Vista, Lycos, etc...
Trying to get relevant search results on those engines is like pulling teeth. Google is hands down the best thing that ever happened to the internet..
TLE041 said:
Trying to get relevant search results on those engines is like pulling teeth. Google is hands down the best thing that ever happened to the internet.
I rarely even get any traffic from any search other than Google. When I search for my own inn on Yahoo Travel, a place that was closed down 5 years ago has a better ranking than I do. Yahoo is useless to me.

Trying to get relevant search results on those engines is like pulling teeth. Google is hands down the best thing that ever happened to the internet..
True. The others have not made the cut. And thankfully Google does a good job of raising the bar on their own. But a monopoly is still worrisome for a lot of reasons. I'd prefer to see a tighter race between at least two.

TLE041 said:
I rarely even get any traffic from any search other than Google. When I search for my own inn on Yahoo Travel, a place that was closed down 5 years ago has a better ranking than I do. Yahoo is useless to me.
On the other hand, TripAdvisor will not allow guests to review our wine tours. One has snuck in under our B&B listing. I have asked numerous times but they just won't do it.
So when guests google our wine tours Yahoo Travel is of immense value to me. I have a competitor who does not have any reviews, so it makes me look pretty good since I quote the whole price of the tour up front, and he quotes "starting as low as" . People can't comparison shop since he looks so much cheaper and they don't know what the total price of the tour is until after. When they have to pay for all the extras, and pay their own tasting fees, etc.
Riki

Back