Help SWIRT

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Proud Texan said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I think NOT being anonymous doesn't stop anyone from being catty.
neko-1.gif
Meow.
Hey where did you get that! It's cute.
I have never used that word in my life, so that was a first. I am the same here, there or anywhere, I do not change my opinions or attitudes or speech with my user id. What you see is what you get - well what you read is what you get. lol

there have been a couple BAD instances.
1) An innkeeper to innkeeper situation
2) a psycho wacked out innkeeper from PA who really wanted at a particular innkeeper - semi stalking her, I think her name was BK. She changed her profile and user id after that and continues to do so every so often.
Giving PERSONAL information on a world wide forum is not smart in the first place. Then they can come into our homes and stay with us and we do not even know this (that they have prior knowledge). So NO! I don't post it and will try to rememeber not to. Seems crazy to post anything with our address hanging out there. We forget as we get cozy on this forum, but there are plenty of nutjobs out there. Turn on the news any second of any day..
"Giving PERSONAL information on a world wide forum is not smart in the first place. Then they can come into our homes and stay with us and we do not even know this (that they have prior knowledge)."
If you have a web site then you are out there and you are giving personal information on a web site. I try not to say anything on this site that I wouldn't want someone to see. I do have my name, web site and picture posted. I also know that googling your bb name or even your name can bring up a post if the forum is not private. I've seen it happen lots.
One thing that can be done, I don't know if it can be done on this board though, is to have a public board but have a private section where members can go and vent or say things they might not want to be public. Otherwise the best thing is to say nothing you wouldn't want someone to see.

having an alias here is an alternative... just remember which name you're under while venting.... I've started to vent and realized I wasn't under my alternative vent name - I think I caught it before posting. :-(.
greyswan said:
having an alias here is an alternative... just remember which name you're under while venting.... I've started to vent and realized I wasn't under my alternative vent name - I think I caught it before posting. :-(
I know who you are on the alias side of things, altho I thought maybe VINNY would be a good one from a story way back...LOL!
devil_smile.gif

there have been a couple BAD instances.
1) An innkeeper to innkeeper situation
2) a psycho wacked out innkeeper from PA who really wanted at a particular innkeeper - semi stalking her, I think her name was BK. She changed her profile and user id after that and continues to do so every so often.
Giving PERSONAL information on a world wide forum is not smart in the first place. Then they can come into our homes and stay with us and we do not even know this (that they have prior knowledge). So NO! I don't post it and will try to rememeber not to. Seems crazy to post anything with our address hanging out there. We forget as we get cozy on this forum, but there are plenty of nutjobs out there. Turn on the news any second of any day..
"Giving PERSONAL information on a world wide forum is not smart in the first place. Then they can come into our homes and stay with us and we do not even know this (that they have prior knowledge)."
If you have a web site then you are out there and you are giving personal information on a web site. I try not to say anything on this site that I wouldn't want someone to see. I do have my name, web site and picture posted. I also know that googling your bb name or even your name can bring up a post if the forum is not private. I've seen it happen lots.
One thing that can be done, I don't know if it can be done on this board though, is to have a public board but have a private section where members can go and vent or say things they might not want to be public. Otherwise the best thing is to say nothing you wouldn't want someone to see.
The software will support it, but the admin won't :)
Creating a safe area will just lead to all the good stuff taking place where it is "safe". Then we are back to the concept of a walled garden.

I would LOVE for guests to read about "the dopey things that guests do".
I know I can be very sarcastic here on this forum, but Bree, you know, I think that's a great idea. To post on our site, -- DOPEY THINGS THAT GUESTS DO.
Most of our guests go to tripadvisor.com and not THIS forum.
Maybe it's me, but I really can't imagine a guest coming to this forum unless they are psychotic. .
trishany said:
Maybe it's me, but I really can't imagine a guest coming to this forum unless they are psychotic.
Actually... we have an inngoer who's a regular here. She hasn't appeared to be any more psychotic than you.
=)
Kk.
Awwww, Yellowsocks, come on. I have't been called a name since I've been 4 years old. It's very demeaning to you.

I know I can be very sarcastic here on this forum, but Bree, you know, I think that's a great idea. To post on our site, -- DOPEY THINGS THAT GUESTS DO.
Maybe it's me, but I really can't imagine a guest coming to this forum unless they are psychotic. .
trishany said:

Maybe it's me, but I really can't imagine a guest coming to this forum unless they are psychotic.
I'm here, does that make me psychotic?!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
I actually found the about.com forum while looking for B&B's to stay at.
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
trishany said:

You bring a good perspective too!
Junie Beeeeeee -- you are here in this forum cause you are an innkeeper (I think), not cause you are psychotic. If you came to THIS site looking for a B&B, you ARE psychotic.
From reading your posts, I don't think you came to this site when you were looking for a B&B. Sorry, don't believe it. If it doesn't make sense, then.........................
If an intelligent person wants to stay in a bed and brkfst, they go from word of mouth, tripadvisor, b&b,com, etc., and not from about.com's b&b forum.
How many of your guests booked a room cause they went to about.com's B&B forum?

trishany said:

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
trishany said:

Junie Beeeeeee -- you are here in this forum cause you are an innkeeper (I think), not cause you are psychotic. If you came to THIS site looking for a B&B, you ARE psychotic.
From reading your posts, I don't think you came to this site when you were looking for a B&B. Sorry, don't believe it. If it doesn't make sense, then.........................
If an intelligent person wants to stay in a bed and brkfst, they go from word of mouth, tripadvisor, b&b,com, etc., and not from about.com's b&b forum.
Oh boy. Where to begin?
rolleyes.gif

I think you are misreading who is who and who said what. JBJ is an innkeeper, who has never revealed how she got started on the About forum. GeorgiaGirl25 is a traveler who is not an aspiring or an innkeeper.
You may have missed this post about traffic stats for Innspiring where I pointed out that there is a decent amount of traffic from surfers using phrases that only someone searching for a place to stay would use. Is it an ideal travel site? Absolutely not. But labeling any travelers that end up here as psychotic is kind of silly

trishany said:

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
trishany said:

Oh boy. Where to begin?
rolleyes.gif

I think you are misreading who is who and who said what. JBJ is an innkeeper, who has never revealed how she got started on the About forum. GeorgiaGirl25 is a traveler who is not an aspiring or an innkeeper.
You may have missed this post about traffic stats for Innspiring where I pointed out that there is a decent amount of traffic from surfers using phrases that only someone searching for a place to stay would use. Is it an ideal travel site? Absolutely not. But labeling any travelers that end up here as psychotic is kind of silly
swirt said:
Oh boy. Where to begin?
rolleyes.gif

Thank you Swirt
regular_smile.gif

trishany said:

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
trishany said:

Oh boy. Where to begin?
rolleyes.gif

I recently actually join this forum and so don't consider at all to be an authority as Swirt or "old" innkeepers contributors (talking about for how long they contribute, not about age !) in this forum for what I will say. However, I wish to underline some aspects and give you my opinion on the way some threads go.
This forum is a nice place for discussion. It will be convenient to use, let's say, correct tone. If will avoid a lot of frustration. Confronting ideas is the best way to progress, when everybody keeps in mind respect of other opinions. Also keeping in mind that travelers can ends up on this forum should contribute to courtesy.
Let consider this remark as a small cloud in a blue sky !
Bruno

trishany said:

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
trishany said:

Oh boy. Where to begin?
rolleyes.gif

I recently actually join this forum and so don't consider at all to be an authority as Swirt or "old" innkeepers contributors (talking about for how long they contribute, not about age !) in this forum for what I will say. However, I wish to underline some aspects and give you my opinion on the way some threads go.
This forum is a nice place for discussion. It will be convenient to use, let's say, correct tone. If will avoid a lot of frustration. Confronting ideas is the best way to progress, when everybody keeps in mind respect of other opinions. Also keeping in mind that travelers can ends up on this forum should contribute to courtesy.
Bruno
Bonne Adresse said:
Bruno
We've grown used to each other. It is like family...you disagree with a brother or sister you are not always polite. We are more civilized here than on participants on many other forums, so don't take it to heart if we're a little rambunctious at times.
Another thing to consider is we are sometimes pressed for time. We come here, see a post, immediately we reply and it is short, and to the point. It may sound as if we are mad (angry, not crazy) but most of the time it's just shortness of time to reply. (In my case, I'm just a grump. I was born to be a crotchety old lady and I'm taking that very seriously as I age.
wink_smile.gif
)

trishany said:

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
trishany said:

Oh boy. Where to begin?
rolleyes.gif

Hey Swirt,
Yup, oh boy. I agree.
Any "reasonable" person looking to stay at a b&b, goes first to bandb.com, then to trip advisor, then to bandbonline (we get monthly statistics from our b&b association).
Our guests work hard, have children.
If a guest reads all the info from the above sites, AND then has the TIME to surf the net for an innkeepers forum, well, then, yes, they are psychotic.
Just think about it. Out of 300+ couples, all have found us on the above sites. I would feel very creepy if a guest told me they came to this site. To me -- that's psychotic.
So Georgiagirl is NOT an innkeeper, but a traveler. To me, that's weird.

trishany said:

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
trishany said:

Oh boy. Where to begin?
rolleyes.gif

Hey Swirt,
Yup, oh boy. I agree.
Any "reasonable" person looking to stay at a b&b, goes first to bandb.com, then to trip advisor, then to bandbonline (we get monthly statistics from our b&b association).
If a guest reads all the info from the above sites, AND then has the TIME to surf the net for an innkeepers forum, well, then, yes, they are psychotic.
Just think about it. Out of 300+ couples, all have found us on the above sites. I would feel very creepy if a guest told me they came to this site. To me -- that's psychotic.
Give it a rest Trisha.

trishany said:

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
trishany said:

Oh boy. Where to begin?
rolleyes.gif

Hey Swirt,
Yup, oh boy. I agree.
trishany said:
Hey Swirt,
Yup, oh boy. I agree.
Say what you want Trish, after I type this you will be on my "ignore" list here....I would rather not listen to the likes of you....look who's calling the kettle black...Most of what you say is so unreasonable that it leaves a lot saying "what did she just say" or "what the heck does she mean"?!

trishany said:

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
trishany said:

Oh boy. Where to begin?
rolleyes.gif

Hey Swirt,
Yup, oh boy. I agree.
Any "reasonable" person looking to stay at a b&b, goes first to bandb.com, then to trip advisor, then to bandbonline
Pardon me, but that almost sounds condescending. We have received 100% of our business, since we've opened, from Google. Thank God for unreasonable people. Most people have never even heard of bandb.com, Trip Advisor or any of the other services that are out there. It's not like they're household names. In my experience, they go to Google, Yahoo, MSN and other major search engines and type in "Bed and Breakfast (PLACE NAME)". In most instances bandb.com will show in the search results but in most the website of area B&Bs will be at the top if they've optimized their website for search engines.
And, as SWIRT pointed out, they don't have to "surf the net" to find us here. All they have to do is google the name of your place and if it was mentioned in this forum it WILL pop up in the search results.
wow.gif
psychotic |sīˈkätik| noun
Person suffering from a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.

Psychotic? The situation under discussion hardly fits that criteria. Perhaps you are the one that is being a little unreasonable or at least prone to exaggeration.

trishany said:

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
trishany said:

Oh boy. Where to begin?
rolleyes.gif

Hey Swirt,
Yup, oh boy. I agree.
Any "reasonable" person looking to stay at a b&b, goes first to bandb.com, then to trip advisor, then to bandbonline
Pardon me, but that almost sounds condescending. We have received 100% of our business, since we've opened, from Google. Thank God for unreasonable people. Most people have never even heard of bandb.com, Trip Advisor or any of the other services that are out there. It's not like they're household names. In my experience, they go to Google, Yahoo, MSN and other major search engines and type in "Bed and Breakfast (PLACE NAME)". In most instances bandb.com will show in the search results but in most the website of area B&Bs will be at the top if they've optimized their website for search engines.
And, as SWIRT pointed out, they don't have to "surf the net" to find us here. All they have to do is google the name of your place and if it was mentioned in this forum it WILL pop up in the search results.
wow.gif
psychotic |sīˈkätik| noun
Person suffering from a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.

Psychotic? The situation under discussion hardly fits that criteria. Perhaps you are the one that is being a little unreasonable or at least prone to exaggeration.
Proudtexan,
You are pardoned. As you go on in your B&B business, you will come to know that most guests go to bandb.com, bbonline and trip advisor. If you are not members, I would suggest that you join. MOST guest DO know about these sites.
I've come to learn that the above sites ARE household names. Never, ever knew this before we opened a B&B.
From going through our printouts, and looking at the "how did you find us" box, most guests (and we were full from May through October) type in, bandb.com, tripadvisor.com, bbonline or "word of mouth".
Thank you for posting the definition of phycosis.
A person who has the whole internet open to them, to surf ANYWHERE in the whole cyberspace, and who posts all the time to an innkeeper's site cause she's a "traveller", in my mind "has lost site of reality"

trishany said:

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
trishany said:

Oh boy. Where to begin?
rolleyes.gif

Hey Swirt,
Yup, oh boy. I agree.
Give it a rest Trisha.
Swirt, I think all our (my posts? lol) lead to a very a very passionate, invigorating discussion. I think it behooves me to get all our innkeeper's on this forum up and thinking.
Hey, fellow innkeepers, this is not a "who's popular" forum. I know some posters can take over and make you feel like "well, I'm not in the mix" (and you know who you are).
This is a really great site and I wish it could expand.

Back