Help with Problem Guest!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My phone app has a smiley with the top of the head blowing off, but I can't find it on this site. So, ... OMG !!!
Your house, your rules. Hospitality is like a hand shake: you reach out, they reach out, you shake in the middle. You have absolutely every right to go in the room in the morning, empty trash, turn off heater, lights. Then, in late evening, go back, turn on a light and the heater. Put two cookies on a little plate on the bed to make it clear you are looking after them.
Innkeepers in the trade for more than a few years learn you have to be very comfortable setting and keeping rules for safety and sanity of you and your guests as a whole. Nobody gets too far out of line or the party stops being fun.

My phone app has a smiley with the top of the head blowing off, but I can't find it on this site. So, ... OMG !!!
Your house, your rules. Hospitality is like a hand shake: you reach out, they reach out, you shake in the middle. You have absolutely every right to go in the room in the morning, empty trash, turn off heater, lights. Then, in late evening, go back, turn on a light and the heater. Put two cookies on a little plate on the bed to make it clear you are looking after them.
Innkeepers in the trade for more than a few years learn you have to be very comfortable setting and keeping rules for safety and sanity of you and your guests as a whole. Nobody gets too far out of line or the party stops being fun..
I agree with Tom. Go in the room every day. This is YOUR property, YOUR investment!

The other option is to make them turn in the heater every day and 'check it out' when they come in at night. Of course then you can check the front door to make sure it is closed.
wink_smile.gif

Both of these matters need to be taken care of and soon or the $ you earn will be going right out the door to your utility company.

There are some space heaters that have an auto turn off after x # of hours. you may want to look into something like this.

We actually have baseboard heat in our units that are behind lockboxes so guests can't fiddle with them. They can still adjust their fireplace or AC on or off, but they can't shut off the heat altogether and freeze our pipes.

Back