Help with Problem Guest!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vkblondie

Reaction score
I have a guest who booked his stay prior to me taking ownership so he has a REALLY low rate for his 13 day stay. He is from Hollywood, so he is a bit high maintanance. I am okay with the mess, the stains on the spread, but one thing i have ASKED him not to do, is leave the space heater we put in his room on all day.
This B & B is 160 years old, so for some it can be drafty, so we put these electric heaters in rooms for those who are cold WHILE THEY ARE IN THERE. But this guest has a friend who I think is the one who does not close doors and is leaving it on. They are shooting a movie, so they are gone all day into the night. I cannot have this heater running 24/7 not only is it a huge fire risk, but the electric costs alone will off set his inexpensive stay.
What do you suggest I do? I already had to ask them to make sure they shut the front door ( they have been leaving it ajar in the middle of a cold fall).
Valerie

After they leave for the day, go into the space and turn off the heaters, close the doors and windows.
It's obvious they don't understand so take action yourself to protect your investment.

What Mort said. They are obviously NOT going to do what you ask, so you will have to do it yourself, or ask them to leave, which of course you don't want to do.

Being proactive is the ONLY way to save your sanity. You freshen the rooms and make that part of the checklist. I go by my front door after guests go out because it is old and heavy and feels like it is closed but is not.

After they leave for the day, go into the space and turn off the heaters, close the doors and windows.
It's obvious they don't understand so take action yourself to protect your investment..
I was trying to be respectful since they do not want me in there every day. But 14 days of the heater on 24/7 is going to kill me. Live and Learn I guess. As for the door, I go by as often as I can, but being that i am the only person in the Inn, I cannot be at the door all day all week either. And they don't come back until 10-11pm at night ( filming a movie). Thank you all for your advice. it is just this one couple. No one else has been a problem ( yet).

Do you not want to remind him about turning it off? Maybe leave a note, " just a reminder, please make sure the heater is off when you leave".
Still dont understand why people cannot be respectful of the guest rooms and owners request.

Passive aggressive... assuming you have spring loaded fuses... turn off the fuse. "Oh... it must have tripped the fuse."

Passive aggressive... assuming you have spring loaded fuses... turn off the fuse. "Oh... it must have tripped the fuse.".
Generic said:
Passive aggressive... assuming you have spring loaded fuses... turn off the fuse. "Oh... it must have tripped the fuse."
Good one!

It's obvious they don't understand so take action yourself to protect your investment..
I was trying to be respectful since they do not want me in there every day. But 14 days of the heater on 24/7 is going to kill me. Live and Learn I guess. As for the door, I go by as often as I can, but being that i am the only person in the Inn, I cannot be at the door all day all week either. And they don't come back until 10-11pm at night ( filming a movie). Thank you all for your advice. it is just this one couple. No one else has been a problem ( yet).
vkblondie said:
If they don't want you in there everyday, they have to turn the heater off. As for the front door? They must have 'people' who follow them around picking up after them, closing doors, opening doors, etc.
We had a group here that never closed the outside door. Not once. None of them. 2 days of that. And it was a group, so they would go in and out 2 or 3 at a time, then 1 or 2, then the rest. Door always open. If you see them, explain they have to close the door if they don't want to find 'fans' or 'hobos' or 'street people' waiting for them when they return. (Whichever of those might light a fire under them.)
Lesson from this? Install an automatic door closer. They are not super expensive. Available at Home Depot, Lowe's, or your local hardware store. You can adjust the tension so it slaps people on the butt if they've annoyed you for a few days. ;-)
The other thing - what are you going to do about the heating system/insulation problem? Not tomorrow, but long range. This is going to continue forever if you don't make plans to fix it.
BTW, I like Generic's idea of flipping the breaker off to their room. You'll have to get up when they come in in order to 'fix' it but maybe if it happens everyday, they'll turn the heater off.

BTW, we had a 'Hollywood-type' stay here. He's won several Emmys and a slew of other film awards. He's my go to model whenever we get some 'hot shot' type.
This guy was sweet as could be to us. No fuss, no muss. No airs.

I had a guest that ignored when I said we are on a well so please conserve water. He was in the suite with the jacuzzi tub and filled it 3 times before midnight. I was livid. When I was woke at 3 AM with the sound of it being filled again I turned off the water to the entire house. I turned it back on when I got up. While I was fixing breakfast he came out of the room. I asked him not to fill the tub again, we are under a drought and on a well. He runs back in the room to turn it off, he was filling it again.
He is band from the Inn.
So I like the breaker cut off idea.

vkblondie said:
If they don't want you in there everyday, they have to turn the heater off. As for the front door? They must have 'people' who follow them around picking up after them, closing doors, opening doors, etc.
We had a group here that never closed the outside door. Not once. None of them. 2 days of that. And it was a group, so they would go in and out 2 or 3 at a time, then 1 or 2, then the rest. Door always open. If you see them, explain they have to close the door if they don't want to find 'fans' or 'hobos' or 'street people' waiting for them when they return. (Whichever of those might light a fire under them.)
Lesson from this? Install an automatic door closer. They are not super expensive. Available at Home Depot, Lowe's, or your local hardware store. You can adjust the tension so it slaps people on the butt if they've annoyed you for a few days. ;-)
The other thing - what are you going to do about the heating system/insulation problem? Not tomorrow, but long range. This is going to continue forever if you don't make plans to fix it.
BTW, I like Generic's idea of flipping the breaker off to their room. You'll have to get up when they come in in order to 'fix' it but maybe if it happens everyday, they'll turn the heater off.
Guests often annoy us by their actions, yet I chose this business where for a fee I am here to serve their desires, sure, some seem to be a pain, but they also educate me so that I can fill their needs without neglecting my needs.

BTW, we had a 'Hollywood-type' stay here. He's won several Emmys and a slew of other film awards. He's my go to model whenever we get some 'hot shot' type.
This guy was sweet as could be to us. No fuss, no muss. No airs..
There really are some of those out there. Robert Urich was that kind of person. I knew him in high school - he was big man on campus then and was as nice as can be. Never was a"big head" and came back to town often until he died.

This guy was sweet as could be to us. No fuss, no muss. No airs..
His Dad is the easiest too, absolutely no problem. but I think it is more this mans friend that is more of a problem that he is.

vkblondie said:
there are a lot of things I will need to do long term absolutely. The doors cannot just have something installed onto them, they are a good solid 160 year old french doors, GORGEOUS, but definetly is going to be a problem. I just need to have a meeting with the historical society and make sure A) I have the funds to replace these huge old doors and B) there are not mandates about what type of doors I put there. this will not be this year expense, so i must make due.

vkblondie said:
there are a lot of things I will need to do long term absolutely. The doors cannot just have something installed onto them, they are a good solid 160 year old french doors, GORGEOUS, but definetly is going to be a problem. I just need to have a meeting with the historical society and make sure A) I have the funds to replace these huge old doors and B) there are not mandates about what type of doors I put there. this will not be this year expense, so i must make due.
These https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANTQ45S/ might solve the problem. They go on the frame, not the door. The only part on the door is a plastic piece to protect the door.

I do not ask about room refreshes. I just do it. That limits damage from windows open with heat or AC on, wet towels on wood or stains that need seeing to right away. As others have said, you must protect your time and property.

Back