Help with response please

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cat_lady

Reaction score
So what would you say?
Got a nice review on TA today. But, in it the guest mentions how wonderful it was that we cooked up the lobsters in our kitchen that they bought. Yeah, more like didn't give us a choice. We allow our guests to use our dining room to eat any food that they bring in--take out, crackers and cheese with a glass of wine, etc. It stops them from eating in their rooms.
Well, we were making our own meal and had opened the door that separates us from the dining room to enquirer about their day. Then it was, do you mind if we steam our lobsters in your kitchen? Well, what were we supposed to say? No? So naturally, DH says that we were making our own supper but as soon as the stove was free, we'd do it for them. Grrrrr. So, then when we steam their lobsters, it was oh, can I cook my corn too? ( insert your own thoughts that were running through my head at that point)
So, it comes down to, how do I respond to that on TA? I don't want to ignore it because I don't want others to get the idea that we'll just cook up anything they bring back with them. First off, they were fortunate we were even home. We lock up the kitchen when we're not there. Second, we offer crab suppers to our guests. I don't know what my response would have been had I anyone else there and we were making a meal for someone else. I had a low and slow steam going myself.

Thank you for your kind review.
We offer our guests the opportunity to purchase our wonderful crab suppers. We are so sorry you did not avail yourselves the chance to enjoy that experience.
This one truly is a hairy one. You can only hope others do not pick it up and really cannot call them the presumptive idiots that they were.

Sorry, forgot to mention that they DID order the supper the next night.

Thanks for your wonderful comments! Then in the future explain that state health code does not allow anyone to use your kitchen except you. Yuck, lobster juice on the dining room rug. I guess we could cook them and tell them they could eat out side .

I have an open kitchen. Our first year we had guests who asked where our lobster pot was so they could cook their lobsters.
How to answer your review.
I'm thinking you're going to have to say the guests were extremely lucky you had water on boil already as you cannot be expected to cook meals at any time of the day.
No, that doesn't work.
"Thank you for your wonderful review. We were very surprised when you brought lobsters into the kitchen as we were preparing our own meal with the expectation we would cook your dinner for you. Because we already had a pot of water simmering we were able to accommodate this highly unusual request. We will be sure to update our guest information to show there are no kitchen privileges available. We are happy to accommodate guest dinners with our crab bake but cannot cook whatever the day's catch might be!"
Or something like. You know these guests will never return after reading this response.
OTOH, can you email them and ask them to remove the review as it puts you in the position of now having to cook whatever anyone shows up with whenever they want.

And now you have one more case study under your belt for next time someone is excessively presumptuous.

I was about to say not to mention it, just let it ride and then we had the same thing happen! A great review, I am thankful. I don't want to nit pick what they wrote, so I am going to just tell them how much we appreciate their review. So I guess my statement is the same, resist the urge to correct people, esp in public and esp when it is forever.

Ours was about how happy they were we let them check in early, and our confirmation and door note states no early check ins.

How about this?:
Thank you for taking the time to review ------. We're delighted that we could contribute to your experience in our little part of the world. You're absolutely right--we have phenomenal views. I'm glad you had the chance to try our Crab Suppers for Two! It's certainly a popular item with everyone. It was our pleasure.
How fortunate that you were able to find us in the kitchen when you came back with your lobsters. Ordinarily, we don't cook anything other than the Crab Suppers that we offer to all of our guests, but we just happened to be at the right place at the right time, so I'm glad it worked out for you. We only wish this was something we could extend to all our guests, but unfortunately, our kitchen isn't set up for outside cooking.
How does that sound?

How about this?:
Thank you for taking the time to review ------. We're delighted that we could contribute to your experience in our little part of the world. You're absolutely right--we have phenomenal views. I'm glad you had the chance to try our Crab Suppers for Two! It's certainly a popular item with everyone. It was our pleasure.
How fortunate that you were able to find us in the kitchen when you came back with your lobsters. Ordinarily, we don't cook anything other than the Crab Suppers that we offer to all of our guests, but we just happened to be at the right place at the right time, so I'm glad it worked out for you. We only wish this was something we could extend to all our guests, but unfortunately, our kitchen isn't set up for outside cooking.
How does that sound?.
If you charge for the crab supper be sure you state it that way - add on we extend to all our guests...
Yours sounds a lot less grumpy than mine did!

How about this?:
How does that sound?.
2cat_lady said:
How about this?:
How does that sound?
I may be the only one here to tell you this, but don't muddy the water with facts, just be pleasant and kind and thank them for the review. Resist the urge to tell it like it is, resist the urge to come off any other way than the gracious hostess that you are, let the case by case be just that.
Don't put policy in your reply, please I beg you not to do that!

Okay, so I took the high road:
Thank you for taking the time to review ------. We're delighted that we could contribute to your experience in our little part of the world. You're absolutely right--we have the most phenomenal views. And I'm glad you had the chance to order the Crab Supper. It's certainly proved to be a popular item with everyone. People love the chance to sit, relax and enjoy our peaceful surroundings while being served the local cuisine.
Here's hoping that people read their review and think that THEY made the mistake of mentioning lobster when I'm very definite with the fact of the crab that they ordered.

Thank you for taking the time to review ------. We're delighted that we could contribute to your experience in our little part of the world. You're absolutely right--we have the most phenomenal views. And I'm glad you had the chance to order the Crab Supper. It's certainly proved to be a popular item with everyone. People love the chance to sit, relax and enjoy our peaceful surroundings while being served the local cuisine.
Here's hoping that people read their review and think that THEY made the mistake of mentioning lobster when I'm very definite with the fact of the crab that they ordered..
Good point about it looking like it was their mistake.
Your response is lovely.

Here's hoping that people read their review and think that THEY made the mistake of mentioning lobster when I'm very definite with the fact of the crab that they ordered..
Great response.

2cat_lady said:
Here's hoping that people read their review and think that THEY made the mistake of mentioning lobster when I'm very definite with the fact of the crab that they ordered.
Great selling point. I applaud you and I thank you for letting that go and NOT drawing more attention to it.
Now give that innmate of ours a great big hug next week, and swat her if she tries to cook lobster in your kitchen. Gee I never seem to have that problem here. Maybe squirrel, never lobster (jus' kiddin')
heart.gif

Sounds good to me!

See, you had the right response all along. Good work.

I am late to the party ... I would not mention the 'against the rules' thing that you do for a guest in a review response. It's a nice review. A really nice review.
And a wonderful response.
You will just have to deal with the next person who asks - perhaps differently, perhaps not.
My place was in a harbor with lobster fresh off the boat sold across the road. Soooo many times folks wanted to cook lobster in my kitchen or ask me to cook it that I put a secondhand grill outside with a huge lobster pot just for that. It wasn't in my kitchen and I let them use it. I worried a bit and tended to hover but never had a mishap. I also had outdoor tables so they ate OUT THERE. I had outdoor trash bins so all those shells and mess went right into those. They were so happy.
Guests don't know they are wrong to ask you to cook things for them or if they can cook in a b&b kitchen. So so many times I would have guests push into the kitchen with dirty dishes or whatever. It's that weird area like 'I'm staying at a B&B but it's so home-like and she is my friend and I want to help or it's not like a restaurant kitchen, etc.'

Back