Helpful guests that do not actually help

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
1015PM last night the front door bell is ringing.
A guest is locked out, as apparently another took it upon herself to lock up for the night.
He had gone to dinner and someone else drove, so his car was out there, I didn't even know he was not here. I am glad we were home, at the time there was a major electrical storm - flashes of lightning and booms of thunder and torrential downpours. Would have been terrific if he had been locked out (yes it is undercover but still!)
It is one of those situations where there is no point in saying something, she checks out today and it is over. Mentioning it is only for me, to let her know what she did, not that it would change anything, she will do it again somewhere else. I did have this piece of tape over the addtl deadbolt - which looked ridiculous and IN FACT brought attention to it and people THEN began turning it! So I took it off.
poke.gif

We have a sign on the door...'Please use other door.' How many times I have heard guests come down the stairs, open that door, fool around trying to unlock the screen door, leave BOTH doors wide open and sail down the street is beyond counting.
I also find that door unlocked in the morning, they unlocked it themselves to come and go in the middle of the night.
People! That door is locked for YOUR safety, not mine. Pay attention. The sign is there for a reason.
BTW, this is another reason we went to a different style keypad lock...to stop the guests who fiddled with the locking mechanism because they didn't want to unlock the door when they returned from whatever they were doing outside.
I guess for you I would try one more time with a sign: Do not lock this door from the inside

I have signs on my front and back door that say please shut and lock this door and they are totally surprised it is locked. One chap said to me this week "oh arnt we supposed to use this door" felt like saying "yes that I why I just gave you a key to it" DUH. I just don't want people wandering in and out anywhere they like. Drive me spare.

I would disable that lock if you don't use it, I'd be scared to death this would happen while we were not there, or if we were asleep.

I would disable that lock if you don't use it, I'd be scared to death this would happen while we were not there, or if we were asleep..
Don Draper said:
I would disable that lock if you don't use it, I'd be scared to death this would happen while we were not there, or if we were asleep.
We do use it. If there are no guests checked in the bolt is locked.

I would disable that lock if you don't use it, I'd be scared to death this would happen while we were not there, or if we were asleep..
Don Draper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Don Draper said:
Have you thought about changing this dead bolt to a double keyed lock - or could that be done on your door?

Don Draper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Don Draper said:
Have you thought about changing this dead bolt to a double keyed lock - or could that be done on your door?
copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Don Draper said:
Nope!
I have more problems with guests leaving the door AJAR than locking people out. There is no solution for everyone, I can't change policy due to one dingbat! haha

Don Draper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Don Draper said:
copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Don Draper said:
Nope!
I have more problems with guests leaving the door AJAR than locking people out. There is no solution for everyone, I can't change policy due to one dingbat! haha
I know how you hate signs, etc. but here is where the label maker comes in SO handy. Neat little strip that says "Do Not Touch Deadbolt". I have one on our side porch door because the lock is fragile/antique. It works.

Don Draper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Don Draper said:
copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Don Draper said:
Nope!
I know how you hate signs, etc. but here is where the label maker comes in SO handy. Neat little strip that says "Do Not Touch Deadbolt". I have one on our side porch door because the lock is fragile/antique. It works.
Don Draper said:
But you see it isn't just a neat little strip that says "Do Not Touch Deadbolt" it is also "Please keep door closed" "Please ring bell for hosts" So in one tiny area (a door knob and bolt there will now be THREE notes and then none will be read or all will be read and people will get mad.) Plus they can't fit on the dealy they would have to now be on the door or the glass.

How about a lock with a latch and a door closer. So basically it reshuts the door when someone pulls it open. And you can put a numeric keypad, so it can be opened from one side, but not the other. And they can't leave it open, because it closes itself.

All of our rooms have individual entrances, and we give guests a key to their room (unless we forget). If they wander into the dining lodge looking for something, the dog will probably bark at them and alert us to An Intruder.
But then, we live in an area where folks don't even take their keys out of their car's ignition, let along locking their cars. This is so, if people need to move your car, they can do so without inconveniencing you. Residents who actually *alarm* their cars are considered anti-social.
We did have a couple who had locked their door one night, and the husband told us the next morning that he wondered why we were jiggling the door at 3 a.m. Since neither Julie nor I make it a habit of breaking into our guests' rooms in the middle of the night, we concluded it was the neighborhood bear making his rounds.
The bear got shot that fall after he broke into a neighbor's lodge, broke into their walk-in freezer, and ate umpteen gallons of ice cream, then went to sleep in the vestibule (there's a You-Tube video of it somewhere).
We had to move that couple into another room. They didn't seem persuaded that, since the bear hadn't managed to get into their room the first time, he wasn't likely to come back. Oh, well. Just another load of linens to laundry.

We had a guest who loved to do Chapel duty for me. We found she was being helpful and locking the door when she came in. Nice except we had left the locked door ajar a tad so she could get in. When she locked it by turning the KEY, it was locked so it would not open from the inside in case of emergency. We removed the key from the lock and hid it.
My front door has a skeleton key lock. It is 99 years old and I am not going to destroy that beautiful old door with a modern lock. We are so in Podunk it does not matter. I am looking at the police station as I speak.

We had a guest who loved to do Chapel duty for me. We found she was being helpful and locking the door when she came in. Nice except we had left the locked door ajar a tad so she could get in. When she locked it by turning the KEY, it was locked so it would not open from the inside in case of emergency. We removed the key from the lock and hid it.
My front door has a skeleton key lock. It is 99 years old and I am not going to destroy that beautiful old door with a modern lock. We are so in Podunk it does not matter. I am looking at the police station as I speak..
gillumhouse said:
I am looking at the police station as I speak.
From which side of the bars?

My front door has a skeleton key lock. It is 99 years old and I am not going to destroy that beautiful old door with a modern lock. We are so in Podunk it does not matter. I am looking at the police station as I speak..
gillumhouse said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Having a cop daughter helps a LOT!

Back