Helpful tips for interior photography from Jumping Rocks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
Here is another great blog post from the guys who have Jumping Rocks Photography, about lighting and styling interior guest room photos. There are some technical details about lighting, but also some excellent styling tips for shooting a smallish room. I highly recommend following their blog if you do any of your own photography. If you use another photographer, read it to know what to look for.
Photography tips for interior shots

So I just realized this blog post was from late September - sorry if it was posted here already and I missed it.

Thanks so much for posting this! But they make it sound so complicated and hard!
I know, I know, that's because it is...at least for us, but not for them. That's why people pay them to do it!

Thanks so much for posting this! But they make it sound so complicated and hard!
I know, I know, that's because it is...at least for us, but not for them. That's why people pay them to do it!.
I think the lighting stuff is difficult and why I pay them to do it. But the staging tips work for anybody, as does the framing of the shot with the camera. At the very least, make sure anyone you do hire knows what all this stuff means.

BTW to me my eyes goes right to that pink chair, every time and then I think EW right next to the toilet. But I do see in the comparison shot the switchplate cover was "removed" from the shot above the pink chair.
The lighting on the nightstand flowers and pineapple lamp is lovely. As is seeing the ceiling through the canopy. :)
These are all things we can think about when we take our own images. Minimalizing everything in the room being paramound, turning the lights on, and smoothing out even the smallest rumple in the quilt.
I need to reshoot, man o war do I! All of this is good fodder.

BTW to me my eyes goes right to that pink chair, every time and then I think EW right next to the toilet. But I do see in the comparison shot the switchplate cover was "removed" from the shot above the pink chair.
The lighting on the nightstand flowers and pineapple lamp is lovely. As is seeing the ceiling through the canopy. :)
These are all things we can think about when we take our own images. Minimalizing everything in the room being paramound, turning the lights on, and smoothing out even the smallest rumple in the quilt.
I need to reshoot, man o war do I! All of this is good fodder..
Joey Bloggs said:
But I do see in the comparison shot the switchplate cover was "removed" from the shot above the pink chair.
Wow! What and eye! I never was much good at those "what's different in these two photos" puzzles.

I need to reshoot, man o war do I! All of this is good fodder..
Joey Bloggs said:
But I do see in the comparison shot the switchplate cover was "removed" from the shot above the pink chair.
Wow! What and eye! I never was much good at those "what's different in these two photos" puzzles.
In reality it is the opposite to wildlife spotting. For wildlife you look for a break in the pattern, in B&B photos you never want anything to break the pattern. I just thought of this, that is why we say an empty tp roll can ruin a whole photo, or a curtain that is not even on one side. The pattern needs to hold, be smooth all the way.
PS Had a HAWK at our ponds yestrday morning, I am still freaked out over it. It flew up into a tree and was hard to spot, and DH thought it was a crow, I said "With THAT profile!" (Yeah big ol' hooked beak on the dude, perfect for collecting and eating our fish!)

I know, I know, that's because it is...at least for us, but not for them. That's why people pay them to do it!.
I think the lighting stuff is difficult and why I pay them to do it. But the staging tips work for anybody, as does the framing of the shot with the camera. At the very least, make sure anyone you do hire knows what all this stuff means.
muirford said:
It is all good info. Most room shots I see are of the whole bed, out of focus bed posts and all. They explain why they did what they did and how much better it makes the shot.

muirford said:
It is all good info. Most room shots I see are of the whole bed, out of focus bed posts and all. They explain why they did what they did and how much better it makes the shot.
Madeleine said:
They explain why they did what they did and how much better it makes the shot.
The only thing I might question about the shot is that you can't tell how small the room is (while the photo showing how they set it up clearly shows that it's a very tight room). I know it's important that photos be both appealing and also honest, so people don't arrive and say the online photos are misleading.

muirford said:
There are too many websites who take a photo of "the bed" which I find humorous, sure we know there is a bed. I agree the room appears to be very small, but it DOES appear that way. Perhaps this inn has room square footage, or has stated in the description it is "cozy"
I have a very large room I think I need to say is larger than what I do. But, I need to take new photos...ugh. Bye, you people always put me to work on here!

muirford said:
Madeleine said:
They explain why they did what they did and how much better it makes the shot.
The only thing I might question about the shot is that you can't tell how small the room is (while the photo showing how they set it up clearly shows that it's a very tight room). I know it's important that photos be both appealing and also honest, so people don't arrive and say the online photos are misleading.
I had someone checkin yesterday who said the room looked just like the photo and he didn't sound happy about that at all! Like he was expecting something else.

Back