Herbs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Innspiration for innkeepers
Herbs
Thyme is cheap. Twenty five cents worth is plenty for a family of four.
Hang out at the market and watch people buy expensive fish, chicken or beef to cook for a family gathering. Amost no one is buying fresh herbs. What's that about?
I guess that the main course is so expensive and so much work and so apparently foreboding and complex that most people believe they can't be bothered with the effort of adding herbs. Herbs would change everything. A twenty-five cent investment would transform a simple but expensive dinner into something really great.
"What! I don't know how. It's not worth the effort. I'll screw it up. Isn't this expensive piece of fish enough? I'm too busy. Hey, it's just dinner..."
Metaphor alert: your marketing is missing herbs.
from Seth's blog
JB - Blogging is even less than Thyme, it only costs time. Blog for free at innterativeinns.com as much as you like. The oppotunity is there, toss out some links and share your place with others!

I know it's not the point, but herbs do NOT cost 25 cents. You have to buy them (here) in plastic packs for $4 and you use 25 cents' worth and the rest goes bad. Which is why no one uses herbs. And it is a metaphor for everything else. When you can't get/do something in the amount/size you need, you go without.
If I can buy 2 lbs of steak for $5 (great sale yesterday) I will look at $4 in herbs as extravagant. Same with an $8 piece of salmon. My dinner just went from $8 to $12.
The guy who called me yesterday to sell me an upgrade on my listing was willing to give me 25% off. But a professional write-up was still going to be $99. The year-long link (the entree) is $49. The write-up (the herbs) was $99.

That is why I grow herbs around the house. Some like tarragon, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary (if it survives the winter), chives are perrenial. I plant the basil every year. It is so nice to be making fish and just go out and cut some tarragon to poach it in. It is great to go out and cut some chives for the egg bake in the morning.
Ike is right, often the embellishments are MUCH more expensive than the item or service - THAT is used as the come-on to reel one in because it usually IS the "sauce" that makes the "dish".

I know it's not the point, but herbs do NOT cost 25 cents. You have to buy them (here) in plastic packs for $4 and you use 25 cents' worth and the rest goes bad. Which is why no one uses herbs. And it is a metaphor for everything else. When you can't get/do something in the amount/size you need, you go without.
If I can buy 2 lbs of steak for $5 (great sale yesterday) I will look at $4 in herbs as extravagant. Same with an $8 piece of salmon. My dinner just went from $8 to $12.
The guy who called me yesterday to sell me an upgrade on my listing was willing to give me 25% off. But a professional write-up was still going to be $99. The year-long link (the entree) is $49. The write-up (the herbs) was $99..
Agree! I love salmon with fresh dill, but it is $4 a bunch and most just gets wasted unless I decide to dry it and then it isn't fresh ... We do grow herbs, though, so fresh 4 months of the year.

I've been growing herbs and drying for off season use for more than a decade.....
Sure.....fresh all the time is nice.......but, what I am doing costs me nothing

Personally, I have found that I can keep my herbs fresh for longer in the fridge since I put a zeolite packet in the drawer. Of course, I don't know what you do to find a zeolite packet for your fridge in the US.

I dry mine by tying them in small bunches and hanging them from the railings around my foyer (the upstairs level and they hang into the foyer). Gives a lovely aroma as they dry. OR I have also used a dehydrator my daughter gave me years ago.

Herbs are also easy to grow. I am a plant it and if it survives great! Mint and oregano are almost impossible to kill and they spread - so contain them. My thyme has survived for years and although parsley is usually needed to be replanted every other year, if it comes back this year, this will be at least the 5th year for my Italian parsley. I think my rosemary did not make it this winter - it did last year. My sage goes back at least 10 years. Every year I add more chives and the basil is planted every year.
Forgot to add the dill usually survives and the tarragon is in its 3rd year.

I've been growing herbs and drying for off season use for more than a decade.....
Sure.....fresh all the time is nice.......but, what I am doing costs me nothing.
One Day said:
One day you have no email contact on the forum, I wanted to ask if you would share how you grow/dry and use them with us for the II blog. Can you email me from my email link here?

Sure.....fresh all the time is nice.......but, what I am doing costs me nothing.
One Day said:
One day you have no email contact on the forum, I wanted to ask if you would share how you grow/dry and use them with us for the II blog. Can you email me from my email link here?
Be happy to .......
I just need to get through a few things first

Back