Herding cats...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Second time back for these guests. Last year when they arrived they insisted that we gave them the wrong room. They had booked a room with a fireplace. No, they hadn't. They wanted cheap so they booked the suite for the discount. This year they didn't want to go upstairs so they booked 2 rooms downstairs. (One with a fireplace, btw.) When they arrived they asked about the other downstairs room, could they see it, they knew it was booked already. No, it wasn't booked already. But they insisted that 'the gentleman told us it was taken'. So, I said they could change rooms if they wanted, but it was a bit more money. So they all trooped in to look at it and then decided not to switch.
At breakfast they individually came up to 'place their order'. Instead of sitting down at the table as we asked and letting us bring the food out, they each had to come to the kitchen and tell us what they wanted. Holy cow...herding cats to get them to just sit down!

I thought summer was your PITA season!!!!
devil_smile.gif

NO orders!
I'm raising my double suite rates January 1st & will creep them up...they are just too good of a bargain!
regular_smile.gif
I'm learning....

NO orders!
I'm raising my double suite rates January 1st & will creep them up...they are just too good of a bargain!
regular_smile.gif
I'm learning.....
Samster said:
NO orders!
regular_smile.gif
I'm learning....
It was more like this one wanted juice and that one wanted water and the other one wanted juice and water and only one pancake and one wanted a plain pancake and one wanted plain and blueberry. Good for you on the rates. We've had to lower ours and we're still having guests say it is too expensive. The last time the rates were this low was 2006. We had 4 cancellations for next weekend already. Not sure if they found other accommodations or just decided not to go away. But given all the other places I track have little to no avail for the next few weekends, I'd say it's because we've 'disappeared'. Or there's a really bad review out there somewhere that I haven't found!

NO orders!
regular_smile.gif
I'm learning.....
Samster said:
NO orders!
regular_smile.gif
I'm learning....
It was more like this one wanted juice and that one wanted water and the other one wanted juice and water and only one pancake and one wanted a plain pancake and one wanted plain and blueberry. Good for you on the rates. We've had to lower ours and we're still having guests say it is too expensive. The last time the rates were this low was 2006. We had 4 cancellations for next weekend already. Not sure if they found other accommodations or just decided not to go away. But given all the other places I track have little to no avail for the next few weekends, I'd say it's because we've 'disappeared'. Or there's a really bad review out there somewhere that I haven't found!
I'm not raising rates on the other rooms, just the double suites. They're popular with these folks visiting family stationed here. Plus, I've still got the online booking discount, military, and local university discounts. I'm planning to do a Winter discount in January too. There's something here about this perceived value with the discount. Your Winter is our late Summer! Remember, we were dead for 6 weeks then.

I have the herd here still as well. The other couple sit alone at the table as the herd go in an out and all around. Today they are having the second seating 930 and they still came in and then leave.
But what a delight the first seating was - laughter and more laughter I finally heard that this weekend. One young black couple just got married and were joyful and lightened the entire atmosphere this morning. They moved into the parlor and are still laughing and chatting and enjoying their first morning as husband and wife. This is why I love wedding nights!
I watched the other couple who are indeed pleasant, but ya know what folks, pleasant just doesn't do it for me. Do we become embittered and plain ol' worn out and then act "pleasant" to other people. It is just not real to me. I prefer laughter.
Sorry to be philosophical today...I will go serve the main course to the pleasant couple now. BYE...

I have the herd here still as well. The other couple sit alone at the table as the herd go in an out and all around. Today they are having the second seating 930 and they still came in and then leave.
But what a delight the first seating was - laughter and more laughter I finally heard that this weekend. One young black couple just got married and were joyful and lightened the entire atmosphere this morning. They moved into the parlor and are still laughing and chatting and enjoying their first morning as husband and wife. This is why I love wedding nights!
I watched the other couple who are indeed pleasant, but ya know what folks, pleasant just doesn't do it for me. Do we become embittered and plain ol' worn out and then act "pleasant" to other people. It is just not real to me. I prefer laughter.
Sorry to be philosophical today...I will go serve the main course to the pleasant couple now. BYE....
We have a 78 yo here trying to pass on his knowledge to his grandkids. Are any of them interested in WWII? Nope. I sense his frustration. Hubs would LOVE to be over there talking with him.

Sorry to be philosophical today...I will go serve the main course to the pleasant couple now. BYE....
When we're in the kitchen, we can't hear our guests talking in the dining room BUT we can hear laughter. I'm like you, I love to hear that in the morning.
teeth_smile.gif

Group last night...last minute booking, 7 in party. Less cat herding than previous party but the apparent reason for the trip here was to drop off one of the guests for visit with friends. Friends were coming at 4 to pick up guest. From where? Here, of course. If we didn't mind?
It actually worked out fine as far as the pickup. Guest just sat in living room reading for 4 hours. Never said boo to us after the rest of the party left. Thanked us for allowing him to sit and wait and went on his way a bit earlier than planned.
I am continually amazed, tho, that guest ask these kinds of things as they are getting ready to leave. 'Is it ok if we just leave Uncle Henry here until his ride shows up?'

Back