Here are the keys, I'm off to jump in the Loch

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
I'm having a run of stupid problems/guests at the moment, normally they're spread apart, I rant about each and brush them aside but after 10 days of it they're getting me down.
  • Australian couple turned up at 2pm yesterday and then didn't like it when they were told the rooms would be ready at 3, even though their confirmation said check-in was after 4.30 unless by prior arrangement
  • English couple in for two nights, the kind that no matter what you do for them it's never enough.
  • Two ladies left a huge stain on the white duvet cover which took me 3 washes to get out.
  • couple in the room above us where up at 6am this morning stomping about
  • two different people have complained that they thought we're right on the lake side, even though our website clearly shows we're not. That's only the 2nd & 3rd time this has happened in 8 years.
  • I mucked up a booking yesterday, had them down as 3 people, it was 4
  • etc
  • etc
We do so much to make this the best place we can, sometimes I think why do we bother.

Friday I get a reservation, a few minutes later she calls to ask me if it is shared bath, it was, she cancelled.
I didn't understand the point of the exercise other than her trying to tell me that she doesn't read. Do you really need to pay the phone company to tell me that you don't read what's written on the screen in front of you, even though you have legally agreed to it?
We had a group that didn't really appreciate the noon check-out, yesterday. By the time that they did get out (about 12:45 or so) a glass had shattered and we were already behind.
And I've had day after day of price requests, usually for dates that are fully booked and usually by people who seem to be too damn stupid to actually put the dates into my online reservation sytsem.
We all have those days. We wish that they would never string themselves together. Then you turn the corner and there are a few days of lovely people. Problem is, you can't know when the turn-around happens.

Well, right now we have no guests, so that's what I'm griping about. So far it's been the worst start to a year in history. I'd almost welcome the issues just to be making money.

My bug people returned yesterday on their way home north with their 3 long-nosed companions. Nothing was said about the chiggers but they left the room messier than usual. we also had a couple in for a graduation and this was their first B & B - I think they liked us. She said as they left that it was definitely better than staying in a hotel.
Maddie, so sorry it has been a rotten start. For us, so far (cross everything) it has been probably our best 1st quarter - start of second quarter and I had a bunch of freebies too. Here is hoping we all have a banner year - that the rest of the year makes up for any slow starts.

I don't blame the bug people for not bringing up what they put you through! I'm surprised they came back, not because of you, but because they should be ashamed to look you in the eye after the false alarm heard round the world !

Well, right now we have no guests, so that's what I'm griping about. So far it's been the worst start to a year in history. I'd almost welcome the issues just to be making money..
We are behind in reservations for the summer but way ahead of the reservations for 1st quarter. The warmer weather must have siphoned the NE crowd away from the mountains to the coast! But, Maddie, hopefully you will make up for the lousy spring business by having a banner autumn. Can't beat foliage season in your neck of the woods!

The ones that ring when your web site etc all say FULL!!!!!! are just hoping you have a room on the off chance you don't let except when they ring (cos we all have rooms we pull out of our pockets for these situations) and will book them in I have had this for about a month for today and the next 4 days as it is a very busy nursing conference. quote from another BB owner "but I only want a single" and? And?
Ive had a hoo harr today but it will hopefully make me a tidy profit so I am consoling myself. the situation is 2 rooms who have the single with private bathroom ring - are the rooms onsuite? - no thats why it says single external bathroom, on your reservation, web site, booking agency - with pictures and description. They are supposed to be comming tonight for 3 nights - feel a PITA comming on. Rooms however and this is where people who have NO accommodation booking experience should not be allowed to book rooms - the Royal College of Nursing book all the rooms for them - ie they get an email saying when and where and thats it so they have no input at all - one of the women has IBS or something similar and needs to be up in the night 3 or 4 times ie for medical reasons really should be in an ensuite surley a NURSING association would have more sense. (apparently not) I am however all paid in full for their stay by RCN and as its a sunday there is no contacting them at all till tomorro. I have found them 2 ensuite rooms somewhere else (with my godmother for those who know the tale of that) and I am reselling their rooms here. Everyone is happy and hopefully will double my money.
However my point being why do organisations who have nothing to do with accommodation try and do it? I don't try and do nursing! was a palava finding them somewhere as there are places with 1 room but none I would recommend with 2.

Guest just told me the conference is over so they are leaving to head home, they won't be paying for tonight. This at 4:10PM.
Uh, sorry that is not how it works. I explained they occupied the room past check out time (but they agreed to pay for tonight ANYWAY! According to the reservation) and he just thought I was off my rocker. I feel ill, I always do with conflict and confrontation, and it just makes me so mad! Spoiled my whole night. Waiting for new guests to check in...have to put on a happy face. They won't be gone at least for another 30 minutes they are up packing up now...

Guest just told me the conference is over so they are leaving to head home, they won't be paying for tonight. This at 4:10PM.
Uh, sorry that is not how it works. I explained they occupied the room past check out time (but they agreed to pay for tonight ANYWAY! According to the reservation) and he just thought I was off my rocker. I feel ill, I always do with conflict and confrontation, and it just makes me so mad! Spoiled my whole night. Waiting for new guests to check in...have to put on a happy face. They won't be gone at least for another 30 minutes they are up packing up now....
Yes, way past the cancellation cutoff! But of course it's harder to stick to the rules when they are right there in your face, vs in an e-mail or on the phone. Hang in there. You're in the right!

Uh, sorry that is not how it works. I explained they occupied the room past check out time (but they agreed to pay for tonight ANYWAY! According to the reservation) and he just thought I was off my rocker. I feel ill, I always do with conflict and confrontation, and it just makes me so mad! Spoiled my whole night. Waiting for new guests to check in...have to put on a happy face. They won't be gone at least for another 30 minutes they are up packing up now....
What planet is this guy on where he can stay in a room most of the day and not pay for it! Like you, I HATE confrontation, especially when they're standing right in front of you. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope you charged his card and waved goodbye.
Yup....summer crazies are out early this year. So sorry you had to put up with this idiot.

What planet is this guy on where he can stay in a room most of the day and not pay for it! Like you, I HATE confrontation, especially when they're standing right in front of you. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope you charged his card and waved goodbye.
Yup....summer crazies are out early this year. So sorry you had to put up with this idiot.
I can say I have had at least one per week that tries to bend or break the rules THEY AGREED to..."whatever doesn't kill ya" and all that. In other news have three chaps from Brussels here this morning and am singing...
Men at Work song:
buying bread from a man in Brussels, he was six-foot-four and full of muscles, i said "do you speak-a-my-language?" He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich...and said
I come from the land down under...

Not that it would have made the confrontation any less painful but this is one reason I take payment upfront, they've already signed the CC receipt.
Similar issue happened to me this week with a package, they handed me their CC at check in, paid the remaining balance etc. then on the way to their room they asked if they could reduce their stay a day? The answer was the same, no see your confirmation, just thought the timing was odd to wait until AFTER they paid. They left the next day anyway as I think this was for HER and not his cup of tea, but not another complaint about the bill.

Not that it would have made the confrontation any less painful but this is one reason I take payment upfront, they've already signed the CC receipt.
Similar issue happened to me this week with a package, they handed me their CC at check in, paid the remaining balance etc. then on the way to their room they asked if they could reduce their stay a day? The answer was the same, no see your confirmation, just thought the timing was odd to wait until AFTER they paid. They left the next day anyway as I think this was for HER and not his cup of tea, but not another complaint about the bill.
Oh there are pros and cons, this was the guy who had to be here at 2pm, remember? And then showed nearly 5pm. That was the requirement of his stay, he had to check in at 2pm. Another who arrived at 10pm...I guess you wait til breakfast the next day and get them to pay? It just doesn't work here, I could MAKE it work, but would have more issues. I totally believe.
But I agree, obv if he paid at check in it would be a diff story, he would still try to get a refund I guarantee it.

Back