Here Comes Trouble

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innkeep

Reaction score
I'm driving Tessie to Long Beach for the Annual Meeting of the Hospitality Professionals end of January. Will also drive up to San Francisco area to visit the Tesla Factory. If the weather permits I'll do one leg I-40 and another leg I-70. May be able to drive up the coast into Oregon. Anyone along the way who either wants to tag along or wants a visit can email me via the forum link.
My mom was an Army nurse during WWII and was transported to Europe on the Queen Mary. I'm very interested in seeing it, so this is a great chance to visit. I'm planning to take several weeks off so that I can dodge whatever weather related problems I might encounter along the way.

I won't be able to go to the conference next year. I'm finally starting the restoration of my "other" old building here, and it will be a very busy year. You may remember me talking about that building, built 1860. It was a brothel during the roaring 20's.

Be careful on the west coast. There are so many super chargers there, you may have a hard time deciding which one to use! Memphis is finally in the "building permit" stage of getting their supercharger. And Memphis now has ONE destination charger, in that city of millions. Little Rock still has zero destination chargers and no super charger in sight.
So long for now, from the desert :-(

Oh how I wish..... Have a wonderful time (as I know you will).

Sure sounds tempting.
Good idea to have a co-pilot too.
I would go I-40 the whole way. Not that you asked. :)

How long does it last? I want to get away from the freezing weather and snow to sunshine and forest fires, all expenses paid by the business.

Too far north of you for a visit, have a great time plus report back to your innmates!

Sounds like a fun road trip - we'll be attending but flying out the night before on the late plane after we get all the guests out from the weekend and drive 3 hours to the airport! Gonna need a day just to recoup from the trip out there.

How long does it last? I want to get away from the freezing weather and snow to sunshine and forest fires, all expenses paid by the business..
stevewitharoom said:
How long does it last?
Details are HERE.
Thanks Arks. So a total of $3600 Canadian for the honour. Oh well, another winter among the caribou.
stevewitharoom said:
Thanks Arks. So a total of $3600 Canadian for the honour. Oh well, another winter among the caribou.
Really? I haven't looked into it. Where did you get that total?

How long does it last? I want to get away from the freezing weather and snow to sunshine and forest fires, all expenses paid by the business..
stevewitharoom said:
How long does it last?
Details are HERE.
stevewitharoom said:
Probably airfare, hotel, registration (especially if 2 in the party), meals allowance - not all breakfast appear to be part of the registration - at least one is an SR Breakfast.

stevewitharoom said:
How long does it last?
Details are HERE.
stevewitharoom said:
Probably airfare, hotel, registration (especially if 2 in the party), meals allowance - not all breakfast appear to be part of the registration - at least one is an SR Breakfast.
gillumhouse said:
The rooms are just $149/night for a double. Airfare is what it is. It's going to cost something to go there, but doesn't sound at all out of line. I can't imagine registration being outrageous.

stevewitharoom said:
How long does it last?
Details are HERE.
stevewitharoom said:
gillumhouse said:
The rooms are just $149/night for a double. Airfare is what it is. It's going to cost something to go there, but doesn't sound at all out of line. I can't imagine registration being outrageous.
I cannot locate the 2017 registration fee but it was $499 for members and $799 for non members for the 2016 Summit. That is abut the same as PAII Conference. These national conferences are not cheap. They are always out of the league of my bankroll. My rich uncle (and I did have one) forgot to mention me in his will.
When I told him I had Grandma and he said he wanted her, I mailed her to him to put in the mausoleum where he now resides. He sent me a check - for the exact amount of the postage! That is why he was my rich uncle.

stevewitharoom said:
How long does it last?
Details are HERE.
stevewitharoom said:
gillumhouse said:
At their Nashville, registration included continental breakfast and a box lunch each day, as well as one or two of the evening meals.

I drove from the East Coast to Northern California in a hybrid in April. We traveled almost entirely on I-40 and the roads were very good for the most part. Since that's the Southern route, you should have very little trouble with weather issues. There is a stretch in West Texas where there are no gas stations...not sure about the Tesla charging stations.
We also found a few Route 66 local places that were interesting on that route.
Like Arks said, once we hit SoCal, there were all kinds of charging stations. One hotel had 5 super chargers in the parking lot.
Enjoy your trip!!

I drove from the East Coast to Northern California in a hybrid in April. We traveled almost entirely on I-40 and the roads were very good for the most part. Since that's the Southern route, you should have very little trouble with weather issues. There is a stretch in West Texas where there are no gas stations...not sure about the Tesla charging stations.
We also found a few Route 66 local places that were interesting on that route.
Like Arks said, once we hit SoCal, there were all kinds of charging stations. One hotel had 5 super chargers in the parking lot.
Enjoy your trip!!.
Samster said:
I-40 is a Tesla supercharger corridor, with chargers spaced ideally to get you from Oklahoma City to southern California, but the I-70 supercharger corridor from the midwest to California would be the fastest route.
Innkeep is a pro. She doesn't need our help. She could teach us all a thing or two about planning a charging route! Plus of course the car's navigation system specializes in planning the best route from supercharger to supercharger.
I'm hoping she will have her new car by then, so it can do most of the driving for her!

Tesla charger here, just a few miles off I-5 Eugene, OR. (A Tesla is booked in for tonight, BTW)

Back