Here is another one like air blank n blank

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
crashmypad add the .com
"Simple, effective listings to help you earn extra cash from your spare room, extra space or vacation rental property."

Grrr. Can't believe bad word of mouth isn't killing this concept.

How can it when all you ever hear on Radio and Tv is..great way to earn some extra money! GRRRRRR.... My hosting company owner sent me a link to their page and asked if I knew about it and to tell my B & B clients. WHAT THE???? I sure told him:)

How can it when all you ever hear on Radio and Tv is..great way to earn some extra money! GRRRRRR.... My hosting company owner sent me a link to their page and asked if I knew about it and to tell my B & B clients. WHAT THE???? I sure told him:).
EmptyNest said:
How can it when all you ever hear on Radio and Tv is..great way to earn some extra money! GRRRRRR.... My hosting company owner sent me a link to their page and asked if I knew about it and to tell my B & B clients. WHAT THE???? I sure told him:)
Yeah this "directory" was wanting in on the linkedin B&B group. I BET! Funny name tho considering the AIR incident that made the news a year or so ago...

you all talk in code all the time. most of the time, I can decipher it. I'm so lost. ok. so there is a web group that matches travelers with homeowners who want to rent rooms. ok, so what is the AIR incident? not enough info to look it up.
and I agree the homeowners are not professional innkeepers, but why do we dislike them so?
signed, naive newbie

you all talk in code all the time. most of the time, I can decipher it. I'm so lost. ok. so there is a web group that matches travelers with homeowners who want to rent rooms. ok, so what is the AIR incident? not enough info to look it up.
and I agree the homeowners are not professional innkeepers, but why do we dislike them so?
signed, naive newbie.
the problem is the vast majority don't have permits, food safety, insurance, inspections or pay taxes - they can be much cheaper than we can as they don't have to pay for all these things - I pay $6000 VAT alone per quarter which most of them avoid - we believe in a level playing field if you want to behave like a B&B then you should play by all the rules we have to as well.

signed, naive newbie.
the problem is the vast majority don't have permits, food safety, insurance, inspections or pay taxes - they can be much cheaper than we can as they don't have to pay for all these things - I pay $6000 VAT alone per quarter which most of them avoid - we believe in a level playing field if you want to behave like a B&B then you should play by all the rules we have to as well.
gotcha. In my town you need a permit to be a B&B "home" meaning renting fewer than 3 rooms. The difference is only in the zoning. Not in the permitting or regulation. I guess these people are flying under the tax radar.

Two words "Inspected and approved" come to mind.
Licensed and insured, also comes to mind.
Legal and legit, and taxes! another two three :)
PS I don't dislike them. I just want people to realize that we have been inspected by the health department (annually) ,Fire department for occupation permit, and more.

signed, naive newbie.
gotcha. In my town you need a permit to be a B&B "home" meaning renting fewer than 3 rooms. The difference is only in the zoning. Not in the permitting or regulation. I guess these people are flying under the tax radar.
TheBeachHouse said:
This was just in my innbox, perfect timing on the subject:
4 thoughts on Airbnb regulation as Grand Rapids cracks open door ...
Mlive Kalamazoo
... said Linda Singer, executive director of the 110-member Cascade Township-based Michigan Lake to Lake Bed and Breakfast Association. “It's very simple.”.

With my tax statements in hand and now filled out (and the business tax I just paid, I think if ANYTHING those of us who bring people in to spend their $$ on a regular basis should be the ones who get the tax break!) We feed to the economy of the area~ we actually create jobs!

signed, naive newbie.
not just the tax radar - the everything radar!

signed, naive newbie.
TheBeachHouse said:
signed, naive newbie
The 'Air' incident refers to a few horrendous stories coming out of the air bnb franchise. Homeowners having their homes ransacked and all of their valuables stolen, guests being robbed and assaulted, NYC declaring these were sublets and therefore illegal (along with declaring B&B's in general to be illegal), apartment renters being fined thousands of dollars for flouting the rules.
In mega areas these rentals fly under the radar. In smaller areas, like yours and mine, these rentals take money directly out of our pockets and return NOTHING to the town. Yes, other small businesses MIGHT make some money from meals and shopping, but maybe not.
There is one of these rentals on right now for my area. About 1/2 miles from me. An entire house for less than I charge for a room. Unless they are really paying for insurance for damages from people they don't know, they are essentially able to rent their house out as a self-catering accommodation without paying for any of the licenses and inspections we are required to get.

I believe there's also a website called 'Couch-surfer'. geeze!
angry_smile.gif

In the press: To date,in 2013 Amsterdam has closed 125 appartments used as a illegal hotels, in total 689 beds. In all cases the reason for action was fire safety (lack of). (Note Cost of enforcement stated as 60.000 Euro versus fines collected 500,000 Euro)
It also says they use A ir Bn and Win du as source to find after matching with complaints from neighbours...

Just heard on the radio that National Public Radio is running a report this afternoon about "air blank n blank", saying some are using it as a way to help with their rent, but it's largely illegal.
More details on this afternoon's "All Things Considered" program. Hope I get to hear it!

Just heard on the radio that National Public Radio is running a report this afternoon about "air blank n blank", saying some are using it as a way to help with their rent, but it's largely illegal.
More details on this afternoon's "All Things Considered" program. Hope I get to hear it!.
Uh oh...thanks it is on right now. Hope I didn't miss it yet

Back