Here it goes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cat_lady

Reaction score
Well, I got the inevitable phone call yesterday. My mother had broken her hip a few weeks ago and went through surgery. She wasn't responding well, but after a few days and a change in medication, she finally opened her eyes. They transferred her back to the nursing home where they would feed her because she wasn't eating and you know how hospitals are. My sister told me she was doing better and that she told mom that I would be to see her soon so she had to get better. But, yesterday, my sister called to say that she wasn't doing better, she had stopped eating and they were making her comfortable. DH was out so I said I'd get back to her to tell her when I'd be coming (I had only 20 days until my flight). But, not even 15 minutes later, she called with the news that the nursing home had called and said that she had passed. She had dementia but would recognize my sister and my voice, but my sister doesn't think she had that even the last few days. Even my sister didn't make it.
So, now you know what that all means. I've blocked the remaining rooms that haven't been reserved and DH will stay home. Thankfully, we are at a very slow time so he will have enough clean bedding to last him until I return. I was originally going to fly out on the 27th and come back November 15th but now I'll just fly out earlier and come back as planned. He will man the ship and hopefully what few guests I have will be happy with his bacon and egg breakfast and store bought baked goods. The fruit won't look pretty, but I'm sure he'll present it as best he can.
On top of all that, all my credit cards are misplaced. I know where I used them last and no one has charged anything on them. But now, I have to make a round of phone calls, cancel them, and have them replaced. Not what I needed right now. I will have one more good look over every space where they could possibly be and then I'll make those calls. Daughter #1 is supposed to leave on vacation next Friday but at this point, I don't know anything about services or arrangements. She really needs this break so I hope everything will fall into place. Mom made all her arrangements years ago when dad passed. Daughter #2 has a big case of the guilts. She hasn't seen her grandma in years--never made it her priority. I wish I had seen her one last time.

I am very sorry for your loss. Please do not beat yourself up anout not seeing her that last time - and tell your daughter to not feel guilty also. Each generation has to live their own lives - and we (most of us anyway) are guilty of thinking there will be another day......... Your last memory of your Mother is NOT of someone who knew no one who looked like "Pruneface" - that was my Mother the last time I physically saw her. We gave her the closed casket she wanted for just that reason. It also made it easier to remember the good times and laugh about the "old days"
Just yesterday I was talking with a friend about "the way we were brought up" (comparing notes) and gave my Mom the top honors - she could reach up to get the razor strop, get whoever on the downswing, and hang it back up on the upswing. The fastest arm in the north,south, east, or west. She was respected - and loved.
Share teas with your sister and then share stories and laugh until the tears of sadness mingle with the tears of joy that she was your Mom. She is not gone as long as she resides in the memories of those who loved her.

It difficult but remember the good times that is what matters - the card thing I am guessing is the straw that breaks the camel's back when you are worn down to a nub the thing you just don't need. Sounds daft but remember to take a break when you can dealing with all the other matters and just have a right good cry helps you dealing with the bigger issues.

Hugs! You are in our thoughts and prayers. So sorry to hear about your mom passing. Safe travels!

So sorry for your loss. Thoughts & prayers are with you..
I am sorry to hear your news. My thoughts are with you. In such a time Take a deep breath and take care of all you need to do. Then try and find time to share stories of your mums life. I learned so much about my mum,through her friends stories I never knew . I was the only child the stories are wonderful memories of a window in her life.
I was in Belgium when my mum passed with out warning. Trying to get a flight out to Medicine Hat was hard.

So very sorry for the loss of your mother. It's never easy even if it is expected.
broken_heart.gif

So sorry. This is an overwhelming time. You will get through it. Her family made sure she was well cared for. Your love for her shows in your posting here. Hugs from your fellow innkeepers.
heart.gif

So sorry for your loss. It just sucks big time , Please do not feel as if you could hve done anything different. Remember the good times ,I am sure she did. ❤️

So sorry for all the bumps in your road back to the mainland.
We're all sending sympathy and prayers your way.

Sorry to hear about your Mother. May you take comfort that she's no longer in any pain.

Back