Here we go again...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoodell

Reaction score
Here we go again. We don't jack up our rates for Graduation Weekend here. One booking is a return couple who are dolls. The other seems innocent enough - party of two...and we state on our website guests 21 and over, no accommodations for children period. Reason being we are a romantic getaway, have computerized spa showers, sparkling wine in the room, and while kids are cute I just don't need/want to deal with them. It's more work and more "stuff" and more damage to the rooms.
Woman calls and leaves a messge: This is so and so. I want information on my room. Here is my phone number.
After the initial panic that I have double booked Valentine's Weekend I find a res under a man's first name, same last name for graduation weekend in May.
Call her and it's pleasant enough until she asks me what the date is that the room is booked. I tell her Friday and Saturday.
She only wants Saturday. I explain not possible as we drive wine tours on Saturday so all weekends are two days.
Hurump. Well, she wants two queen beds in her room
No, the suite is set up with a King bed, whilrlpool tub, fireplace etc.
Well she wants a rollaway for her 12 year old daughter.
I'm sorry, we are not setup for children. The booking is for two adults.
What are you talking about? I have traveled all over the world and never heard of a B&B not accepting children. Etic Etc.
I'll check and see what I can do, but we are a getaway and couples don't expect children here as they see when booking we accept adults only.
Got off the phone and checked the res. Yes, it's a local address, so she is correct her son booked the room
So I emailed her son explaining that I am very concerned about the booking. INcluded his information page from Webervations showing party of two. Told him that his mother is not happy with the accommodations and strongly suggest they make alternate arrangements as we are not setup or booked for a party of three.
His response - sorry for the confusiton and he will speak with his stepmother.
I'm in for an uncomfortable weekend.
I hate graduation weekend and may just block it off unless they are returning guests. It's simply not worth it. Last year my party of two turned out to be a father with his teenaged son and adult daughter who none of them could share a bed in a suite with a couch and a king bed. We assume the father told the truth when he said he slept on the floor.
Riki

I think getting in touch with the son and having HIM figure it out was great! As for traveling 'all over the world' and 'never finding a B&B that doesn't take children' my assumption is she never STAYED at a B&B that doesn't take children (duh) but not that she never encountered one.

I'd say if you don't mind losing the revenue and it is being too great a hassle..block it out!!!! Graduation folks are not usually interested in anything but a bed and then they head out and many times not really B & B people. We had the same folks for 4 years and it was great. We knew what they wanted and they knew what we would provide for them. If you can latch on to a family like that then you will be ok ;-)

I'd say if you don't mind losing the revenue and it is being too great a hassle..block it out!!!! Graduation folks are not usually interested in anything but a bed and then they head out and many times not really B & B people. We had the same folks for 4 years and it was great. We knew what they wanted and they knew what we would provide for them. If you can latch on to a family like that then you will be ok ;-).
catlady said:
I'd say if you don't mind losing the revenue and it is being too great a hassle..block it out!!!! Graduation folks are not usually interested in anything but a bed and then they head out and many times not really B & B people. We had the same folks for 4 years and it was great. We knew what they wanted and they knew what we would provide for them. If you can latch on to a family like that then you will be ok ;-)
We try to 'land' the families when they come looking at the colleges. Then you sometimes have them 2-3 times/year as they come to drop the kid off, go to events, etc. But, yes, most of the time when we get graduation guests we've never seen before, they are not B&B people, they just forgot to book early! And they are also placeholders and book 3-4 inns and then cancel once they all decide which one they want.

Given what you have said, I think I would have point blank stated that it did not seem like'our' place was the right fit for her needs for this trip so maybe it would be best to cancel this reservation now so that you would have time to rebook it and save them from forfeiting their deposit.
Since you did't, good thing you emailed the son. Follow up with him though, he more than likely has a lot on his plate..school and the wicked stepmom!

Have them do the ol switcheroo ..... Talk the sone and his wife into staying with you while the stepmom and young kids go stay at the son's house ;)

I've had this happen on occasion. I just say that we don't have rollaways. All our rooms have max occupancies for a reason - safety & fire regs. Same thing about baby gear. We just don't have it & we're not child-proof. We don't have a restaurant, we're a traditional B&B. They usually figure out that we're not really the right fit for them.
We've had several folks stay in our 2 room suites with children about 12 years old. They've been perfect and they felt pampered too. They were easier on the room than some adults.

Oh joy. Son emailed me back apologizing and said he will speak with his stepmother.
I had emailed his form that he filled out so it shows booking for 2.
He called me the next day and asked if it was okay to cancel the reservation.
OH JOY!
Said he would email his class in case anyone needed a room. He felt bad canceling! You can bet I immediately emailed him thanking him and giving him his cancellation number. Someone up there gave me a break and boy am I lucky not to have to go through an uncomfortable weekend !!!!
I don't think this kid understands that there are no rooms to be had that weekend in a 50 mile radius!!!!!! Yipeeee. I now have the only room available that weekend and will put through the ringer whoever calls to book.
And yes, we may just block out that weekend and keep it for a getaway. It's not worth it unless we know the people.
The other couple are return guests and lovely.
But last year we again had the problem - Booked for party of two and dad arrives wtih 15 year old son and 21 year old daughter. We have a L shaped suite with one king bed and one pull out chair and he announced that none of them could share a bed. Still don't know where they all slept. Dad said he would sleep on the floor....I don't need this aggrevation when we could just block off the rooms and concentrate that weekend on wine tours!!!
Riki

I've had this happen on occasion. I just say that we don't have rollaways. All our rooms have max occupancies for a reason - safety & fire regs. Same thing about baby gear. We just don't have it & we're not child-proof. We don't have a restaurant, we're a traditional B&B. They usually figure out that we're not really the right fit for them.
We've had several folks stay in our 2 room suites with children about 12 years old. They've been perfect and they felt pampered too. They were easier on the room than some adults..
She would probably have been okay. But I feel that I should not have to change my policy just because. And I have seen others who had to call in technicians at $90/hour to fix their tv after some tweens messed with it to try and get their tv/computer games working. And you can bet the parents didn't pay for that.
We have a neice that is now 21 and I would not want in the inn around guests.
Kids are just more work and more expense. I don't have the time to do them as well as the wine tours. We like our business the way it is.
Riki

We've had several folks stay in our 2 room suites with children about 12 years old. They've been perfect and they felt pampered too. They were easier on the room than some adults..
She would probably have been okay. But I feel that I should not have to change my policy just because. And I have seen others who had to call in technicians at $90/hour to fix their tv after some tweens messed with it to try and get their tv/computer games working. And you can bet the parents didn't pay for that.
Kids are just more work and more expense. I don't have the time to do them as well as the wine tours. We like our business the way it is.
Riki
egoodell said:
We like our business the way it is.
Riki
And THAT, exactly, is the point. Why go thru hoops and worries when you KNOW this sort of thing does not work for you? Good going on this one. Now raise the rates on that last room!

Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
And THAT, exactly, is the point. Why go thru hoops and worries when you KNOW this sort of thing does not work for you? Good going on this one. Now raise the rates on that last room!
Yes, Bree!
She called ready to argue. The booking was made in July and she just now was calling to find out what kind of room she had??? She just now read the website or the confirmation and realized we did not allow children.
And don't tell me she has ever stayed in a B&B when she tells me she wants two queen beds instead of the king. She is a hotel person. Period.
I am playing with the thought of blocking the suite off, or checking to see if anyone has a double booking nightmare they are dealing with. I think I'd rather save it and see if anyone gets stuck and needs it. Right now it's showing available...
RIki

Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Yes, Bree!
She called ready to argue. The booking was made in July and she just now was calling to find out what kind of room she had??? She just now read the website or the confirmation and realized we did not allow children.
And don't tell me she has ever stayed in a B&B when she tells me she wants two queen beds instead of the king. She is a hotel person. Period.
I am playing with the thought of blocking the suite off, or checking to see if anyone has a double booking nightmare they are dealing with. I think I'd rather save it and see if anyone gets stuck and needs it. Right now it's showing available...
RIki
Yeah, that '2 queens' is a dead giveaway isn't it? Around the world, most B&B's have one DOUBLE bed and maybe a cot you could squeeze in somewhere.

Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Yes, Bree!
RIki
Yeah, that '2 queens' is a dead giveaway isn't it? Around the world, most B&B's have one DOUBLE bed and maybe a cot you could squeeze in somewhere.
Well I have a love seat in the suite that is there for the couple traveling here with their 18 year old who want to check out the university. But after all the blood, sweat and tears we went through building and jumping all the hoops for the county, I'm not so sure I want three people's suitcases banging around in the suite. Even though it's roomy.
RIki

Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Yes, Bree!
RIki
Bree said:
or a double room means two twins!

Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Yes, Bree!
RIki
Well I have a love seat in the suite that is there for the couple traveling here with their 18 year old who want to check out the university. But after all the blood, sweat and tears we went through building and jumping all the hoops for the county, I'm not so sure I want three people's suitcases banging around in the suite. Even though it's roomy.
RIki
This is where you have to decide what sort of place you really want to be and stick with it. The reason I say that is this 18 yo coming to look at colleges probably has a 14 yo kid sister who the parents are going to be expecting will be occupying that love seat 'bed' when the family comes to visit 'college boy/girl'.
So, if you only want 21 and older, only 2 per room, it's a good idea to fix that in your head as the 'requirements' and to not change that. It has caused grief in the past and will continue to do so. Plus, YOU stress just thinking about them coming!

Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Yes, Bree!
RIki
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
I always ask when someone says 'double room' what exactly are they looking for? 2 beds or a double bed? And it's mostly Euros who put it that way and then they LOVE when the 'double' bed is a king.

Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Yes, Bree!
RIki
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
I always ask when someone says 'double room' what exactly are they looking for? 2 beds or a double bed? And it's mostly Euros who put it that way and then they LOVE when the 'double' bed is a king.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Yeah double to them meaning two beds, or two people each requiring their own bed.
They don't love it here, they apologize like they should not be in such a large bed. Weird, I know.

Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Yes, Bree!
RIki
RIki
This is where you have to decide what sort of place you really want to be and stick with it. The reason I say that is this 18 yo coming to look at colleges probably has a 14 yo kid sister who the parents are going to be expecting will be occupying that love seat 'bed' when the family comes to visit 'college boy/girl'.
So, if you only want 21 and older, only 2 per room, it's a good idea to fix that in your head as the 'requirements' and to not change that. It has caused grief in the past and will continue to do so. Plus, YOU stress just thinking about them coming!
Well we have all over the website 21 or older. Period. I have never had three in the rooms by choice, only that one time that dad booked two adults and showed up only to turn out was divorced and had the 21 year old and 15 year old.
That's when we decided to stick to the 2 per room. And we ask in particular when people book, and the booking information on the website and form filled out stress that we only have the king beds. All king beds. No two beds per room. The rooms all have the couch or twin pull out in case I have two ladies traveling who don't want to share a bed. So far they look at the size of the king and say no problem.
That's why step mom called looking for a fight. The suite was bookin in July and she didn't bother to look at what the son had booked until now, saw no kids. She didn't tell son she was bringing the sister.
They are either all staying at his apartment on cots or finding accommodations an hour away in Richmond.
Riki

Back