Here We Go - Cup & Pillow

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Here we go with Cup & Pillow. I signed on their "free" listing. Within the last hour I have received 2 e-mails with "offers" for their PAID services, web listing and property management. I am not pleased. I get enough "offers" and I want to see results before I will pay anything with a new "please sign up free" site. I may sign up to help get them started to see what happens - recognizing no content - no site - but I want to see hits before I spend. And I do not want to get any e-mails with offers for at least a year to see if it does anything other than sit there.

gillumhouse said:
Here we go with Cup & Pillow. I signed on their "free" listing. Within the last hour I have received 2 e-mails with "offers" for their PAID services, web listing and property management. I am not pleased. I get enough "offers" and I want to see results before I will pay anything with a new "please sign up free" site. I may sign up to help get them started to see what happens - recognizing no content - no site - but I want to see hits before I spend. And I do not want to get any e-mails with offers for at least a year to see if it does anything other than sit there.
Me, too. And really, because Read will be by here and comment, I want to say (and hope he takes no offense) I hate the name. Please! stick with bedandbreakfastlist. I REALLY do not like 'cutesy' names that try to play on 'bed and breakfast'.
As to the offering emails...perhaps this is it for now. Read, please take note...no more emails for awhile, until we have the chance to see some value. I'd give it 6 months until we have a chance to see if we have any traffic.

I with ya on this for sure. I too received the 2 emails - enough already! Give us results and we will be willing to dip in our pockets for future results... I will take longer than 6 months I am afraid to get their site up high enough to produce much traffic to their listings unless they are willing to PPC - something that would cost lots of $ to do for all the 'my town' B&B searches.
My 2 cents!

I with ya on this for sure. I too received the 2 emails - enough already! Give us results and we will be willing to dip in our pockets for future results... I will take longer than 6 months I am afraid to get their site up high enough to produce much traffic to their listings unless they are willing to PPC - something that would cost lots of $ to do for all the 'my town' B&B searches.
My 2 cents!.
I think they are offering a lot more than just the directory service for the price, tho. Maybe the email could have been clearer about what was involved? And there were some formatting errors in the email as well.

gillumhouse said:
Me, too. And really, because Read will be by here and comment, I want to say (and hope he takes no offense) I hate the name. Please! stick with bedandbreakfastlist. I REALLY do not like 'cutesy' names that try to play on 'bed and breakfast'.
As to the offering emails...perhaps this is it for now. Read, please take note...no more emails for awhile, until we have the chance to see some value. I'd give it 6 months until we have a chance to see if we have any traffic..
Why is your timeline 6 months? Why wouldn't you wait one year to see what your referral rate is for all your seasons? Is that simply an arbitrary amount of time, or does it really mean something?

gillumhouse said:
As to the offering emails...perhaps this is it for now. Read, please take note...no more emails for awhile, until we have the chance to see some value. I'd give it 6 months until we have a chance to see if we have any traffic..
Why is your timeline 6 months? Why wouldn't you wait one year to see what your referral rate is for all your seasons? Is that simply an arbitrary amount of time, or does it really mean something?
penelope said:
A year is too long for THEM to wait for feedback. In 6 months I can say, 'Yes, I saw an increase in referrals from 0 to 10/week (or whatever) and I am getting bookings.' If I wait a year to get that feedback to them (and they can see what traffic is leaving but not my experience on the other end) they have no idea what my experience is and whether or not I am ready to join or that they have to do more to make me opt in. And after a year I will probably have forgotten who they are if I get no referrals, so it's best to keep in touch in shorter increments than a year.
Altho, just doing a check on my listing there, there is no link to my website. So, they only way I would know if anyone found me is if they emailed me from the site or if they called while looking at the site.

gillumhouse said:
penelope said:
A year is too long for THEM to wait for feedback. In 6 months I can say, 'Yes, I saw an increase in referrals from 0 to 10/week (or whatever) and I am getting bookings.' If I wait a year to get that feedback to them (and they can see what traffic is leaving but not my experience on the other end) they have no idea what my experience is and whether or not I am ready to join or that they have to do more to make me opt in. And after a year I will probably have forgotten who they are if I get no referrals, so it's best to keep in touch in shorter increments than a year.
Altho, just doing a check on my listing there, there is no link to my website. So, they only way I would know if anyone found me is if they emailed me from the site or if they called while looking at the site.
Broken down like that, it makes sense. Thanks.
Again, another something to write down in my notebook!

Hi All,
We have sent THREE emailings in the HISTORY of the company--one at launch and TWO yesterday. ALL of them give you the opt-out option, so there is no need for anyone who does not want to receive emails from us to ever receive emails from us--period. Just opt out or let me know and I'l take you off the list--simple as that, no need to complain.
Yesterday's mailing should have had no overlapping recipients--we sent one to our Courtesy Members and one to the rest. Gillumhouse, perhaps your timing was such that you signed up only a few days before yesterday? In a business environment that I designed, innkeepers would come looking for us on their own, but that doesn't happen. Since we are a business, we have to solicit customers. There are no plans for us to sit on our hands for a year while we all stare at one another wondering which comes first--the inns or the inn-seekers. Those two things work together, as gillumhouse correctly noted, which is why we offer a free listing--to "prime the pump". We have also just made it very inexpensive and easy to try the Preferred level--it's less than $10/mo when you use the code we sent out and you can cancel whenever you like. My New York Times costs me $6 a week and it doesn't bring me any business, so this is just plain cheap to try.
The site is not just a listing site, either. We think that's old-tech and not much use. Our site does a lot more than anybody else's so there's plenty of value there AND we absolutely WILL respond to any and all reasonable requests for site functions, so this is your chance to have a site work exactly the way you'd like it to work, an opportunity that I would imagine I'd jump on. We didn't get in this business to be #2 or #3 and we know the way to get to #1 is by pleasing you.
The name, though some people don't like it, is something we get lots of positive comments on and most importantly gets a reaction one way or another--it sticks in your mind, which is precisely the reason why it was chosen. I personally have never been that crazy about it, but people really do remember it. As many of you know, it's often the choice in business between having things the way you'd like or having them be effective.
We would appreciate knowing what the formatting errors were, how the email could have better communicated what we are about and continue to welcome any and all comments.
In fact, if anyone on this forum has constructive comments they would like to share with me ([email protected]) regarding our business I will be happy to respond personally. Furthermore, should anyone here like to help develop the application, I will flip the switch to Preferred for free in exchange.
Sincerely,
Read Spear, Founding Partner, CupAndPillow.com

Hi All,
We have sent THREE emailings in the HISTORY of the company--one at launch and TWO yesterday. ALL of them give you the opt-out option, so there is no need for anyone who does not want to receive emails from us to ever receive emails from us--period. Just opt out or let me know and I'l take you off the list--simple as that, no need to complain.
Yesterday's mailing should have had no overlapping recipients--we sent one to our Courtesy Members and one to the rest. Gillumhouse, perhaps your timing was such that you signed up only a few days before yesterday? In a business environment that I designed, innkeepers would come looking for us on their own, but that doesn't happen. Since we are a business, we have to solicit customers. There are no plans for us to sit on our hands for a year while we all stare at one another wondering which comes first--the inns or the inn-seekers. Those two things work together, as gillumhouse correctly noted, which is why we offer a free listing--to "prime the pump". We have also just made it very inexpensive and easy to try the Preferred level--it's less than $10/mo when you use the code we sent out and you can cancel whenever you like. My New York Times costs me $6 a week and it doesn't bring me any business, so this is just plain cheap to try.
The site is not just a listing site, either. We think that's old-tech and not much use. Our site does a lot more than anybody else's so there's plenty of value there AND we absolutely WILL respond to any and all reasonable requests for site functions, so this is your chance to have a site work exactly the way you'd like it to work, an opportunity that I would imagine I'd jump on. We didn't get in this business to be #2 or #3 and we know the way to get to #1 is by pleasing you.
The name, though some people don't like it, is something we get lots of positive comments on and most importantly gets a reaction one way or another--it sticks in your mind, which is precisely the reason why it was chosen. I personally have never been that crazy about it, but people really do remember it. As many of you know, it's often the choice in business between having things the way you'd like or having them be effective.
We would appreciate knowing what the formatting errors were, how the email could have better communicated what we are about and continue to welcome any and all comments.
In fact, if anyone on this forum has constructive comments they would like to share with me ([email protected]) regarding our business I will be happy to respond personally. Furthermore, should anyone here like to help develop the application, I will flip the switch to Preferred for free in exchange.
Sincerely,
Read Spear, Founding Partner, CupAndPillow.com.
It was not a complaint as much as a "here is the other shoe dropping". I am not the only one to get 2 e-mails the same day. I get bombarded almost daily with listing offers - and just hit delete. I did you the courtesy of listing to help you prime the pump. I read your e-mails which is more than I give to most of the "generous" offers I receive - glance & DELETE. No one is saying you should be sitting on your hands. If you read this Forum, you have read a lot of suggestions of what we want/need so you know what to be working on (in addition to whatever publicity you generate to tell people you exist) while we see what kind of traffic - if ay - you generate in the next few months.
I usually do not waste my time complaining about anything other than my DH and that is usually more of a venting whine so I do not murder him as he is not worth doing time for. Have yet to meet anyone worth that.

i didn't get double emails ... no promo email yet.
i have no complaint about getting them if and when i do because at present i am signed on for free. unless i get a barrage of emails. but two doesn't sound like an outrageous number.
i love love love free trials. and i always get solicitations from those i sign up for because that's how the business makes money, paying customers. sometimes i end up having to opt out opt out opt out, but it goes with the territory.
i will give them a chance. so far, they have been very helpful with mapping issues.

Hi All,
Sincerely,
It was not a complaint as much as a "here is the other shoe dropping". I am not the only one to get 2 e-mails the same day. I get bombarded almost daily with listing offers - and just hit delete. I did you the courtesy of listing to help you prime the pump. I read your e-mails which is more than I give to most of the "generous" offers I receive - glance & DELETE. No one is saying you should be sitting on your hands. If you read this Forum, you have read a lot of suggestions of what we want/need so you know what to be working on (in addition to whatever publicity you generate to tell people you exist) while we see what kind of traffic - if ay - you generate in the next few months.
I usually do not waste my time complaining about anything other than my DH and that is usually more of a venting whine so I do not murder him as he is not worth doing time for. Have yet to meet anyone worth that.
We really and truly appreciate the time you spent to put up a Courtesy listing with us. I guess my only point is that we are all business people here and I'm sure you do what you can to solicit business, so we can't be expected to operate differently. That said, I can tell you we really don't want to be angering people with tons of email--our pattern is likely to be one or two a month. The really great thing about what we're doing is that our success depends on yours and vice-versa! So, believe me, we want to drive traffic to you and we want you to be happy. THANK YOU for taking the time to write about us and we are ALWAYS here to listen to your complaints and needs!
Read

Hi All,
Sincerely,
Read- I kind of zipped thru both because I am not ready right now to jump ship on what I have going until I have a chance to review things. The formatting errors I noticed were at the bottom of the 'bedandbreakfastlist' email where your tag line is. There were some html code words there instead of simply the tagline.

Hi All,
Sincerely,
Read- I kind of zipped thru both because I am not ready right now to jump ship on what I have going until I have a chance to review things. The formatting errors I noticed were at the bottom of the 'bedandbreakfastlist' email where your tag line is. There were some html code words there instead of simply the tagline.
Bree-
Thanks. Can you tell me which email client and browser you are using?
R

i have no complaint about getting them if and when i do because at present i am signed on for free. unless i get a barrage of emails. but two doesn't sound like an outrageous number.
i love love love free trials. and i always get solicitations from those i sign up for because that's how the business makes money, paying customers. sometimes i end up having to opt out opt out opt out, but it goes with the territory.
i will give them a chance. so far, they have been very helpful with mapping issues..
Your kind words are appreciated. The offer stands to all on this forum: help us make this application the application you want and we'll put you on Preferred for free for 90 days.
R

Hi All,
Sincerely,
Bree-
R
readspear said:
Bree-
R
Outlook Express. The email from cup & pillow was fine, it was the second one from bedandbreakfastlist that was wrong. (And that's how I knew WHAT was wrong, by reading the first email, otherwise I would just have thought you had a very strange tagline...
wink_smile.gif
) Sorry, I tossed both emails or I would be able to tell you exactly what the one said that was off.

Hi All,
Sincerely,
Bree-
R
readspear said:
Bree-
R
Outlook Express. The email from cup & pillow was fine, it was the second one from bedandbreakfastlist that was wrong. (And that's how I knew WHAT was wrong, by reading the first email, otherwise I would just have thought you had a very strange tagline...
wink_smile.gif
) Sorry, I tossed both emails or I would be able to tell you exactly what the one said that was off.
No, that definitely helps, thanks. Often email clients use the default browser as the HTML rendering engine. Do you use IE by chance?

i will give them a chance. so far, they have been very helpful with mapping issues..
Your kind words are appreciated. The offer stands to all on this forum: help us make this application the application you want and we'll put you on Preferred for free for 90 days.
R
i emailed you.
hope to hear soon.

Hi All,
Sincerely,
Bree-
R
readspear said:
Bree-
R
wink_smile.gif
No, that definitely helps, thanks. Often email clients use the default browser as the HTML rendering engine. Do you use IE by chance?
readspear said:
I use Firefox, not IE for web browsing.

Back