Here's a dirty little secret; cleanings domino effect

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbinnsitters

Reaction score
It started out so simply. Just a pause in passing to look out a back window, admire the flowers on the deck and laugh at a pair of rabbits playing on the hill behind the house.
But there, on the windowsill, was a layer of dust that would have to go. So, out came the dust cloth.
Then, while moving the window curtains out of the way, I noticed they looked a little dingey. So off they went to the washing machine.
And when the sill was dusted, it became obvious that the window itself was less than sparkling. So out came the glass cleaner. And since the spray bottle was already in hand, I thought the sliding glass door to the deck might as well be tackled.
But then, working through that job brought my attention to the track on which the door slides. It was harboring a layer of an unknown substance loosely described as "gack", which can only be removed via scrub brush wielded by someone (me) on hands and knees. That job completed, I stood on the deck and noticed it needed to be swept.
So, out came the broom. And when the leaves and grit were removed, I looked at the beautiful blossoms Old Dad had planted, some in standing pots, others hanging from the end posts and noticed a few spots where the deck stain is disappearing. And that, of course, meant the paint brushes would have to come out.
This is all very tiring.
So the message here is this: If you see dust on a windowsill, fuggedaboutit!

teeth_smile.gif

Lesson learned here: DON'T LOOK OUT WINDOWS!!!!
Seriously, DW went down to the cottages with a very bright LED flashlight to look for a champagne flute that mysteriously disappeared (still haven't found it). She was going to look under the bed and furniture, but what happened was a disgusting discovery of mounded dust that is normally invisible without supplemental lighting.
The flashlight will become part of our cleaning kit. I also found the blacklight featured on a recent episode of Hotel Impossible. I'm going to buy it, but I'm scared to use it.

Seriously, DW went down to the cottages with a very bright LED flashlight to look for a champagne flute that mysteriously disappeared (still haven't found it). She was going to look under the bed and furniture, but what happened was a disgusting discovery of mounded dust that is normally invisible without supplemental lighting.
The flashlight will become part of our cleaning kit. I also found the blacklight featured on a recent episode of Hotel Impossible. I'm going to buy it, but I'm scared to use it..
Proud Texan said:
I also found the blacklight featured on a recent episode of Hotel Impossible. I'm going to buy it, but I'm scared to use it.
Ease your fears a little by using the black light on a dirty room, rather than one you've just 'cleaned'.

The flashlight will become part of our cleaning kit. I also found the blacklight featured on a recent episode of Hotel Impossible. I'm going to buy it, but I'm scared to use it..
Proud Texan said:
I also found the blacklight featured on a recent episode of Hotel Impossible. I'm going to buy it, but I'm scared to use it.
Ease your fears a little by using the black light on a dirty room, rather than one you've just 'cleaned'.
I have a black light. Doesn't really show what you think and often it's something that you can' do something about.
But it is GREAT when you are trying to find that one stain to pretreat that you are having trouble finding, because the two spots may show as different colours under the black light. So if you have beige sheets with a slight coffee stain, they may still appear as different colours under the light.

Proud Texan said:
I have a black light. Doesn't really show what you think and often it's something that you can' do something about.
But it is GREAT when you are trying to find that one stain to pretreat that you are having trouble finding, because the two spots may show as different colours under the black light. So if you have beige sheets with a slight coffee stain, they may still appear as different colours under the light.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Coffee stains aren't the ones I'm worried about.
barf.gif

Proud Texan said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I have a black light. Doesn't really show what you think...
I have a black light too and agree with Eric.
I think a lot of what the lights show and don't show fits in the urban legend category.
I did find that it's pretty good at finding toothpaste spatter, and it sure makes white towels look whiter than white.

yea what dust? or weeds? i agree with bb-if you startit you will never be done with it....:)

Back