Here's a new one / PCI compliance

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agoodman

Reaction score
Just got a note from my processor, in order to "offset their costs" of PCI compliance, they will be charging a $95.00 one time fee in January.
So they bill every client $95 irrespective of how much business they do, why I should have to pay the same amount as a huge business I don't know.
Who can I bill to offset some of MY expenses?????? I guess I will be looking for another processor

I think they are all charging this fee oe something similar. A monthly fee, the once-a-year fee.
We just got our bill for our lodging license. $175 for 5-10 rooms. $165 for over 50 rooms. Yup, the little guy is paying more. You know who was sitting in on that little budgetary meeting.

I had to pay a fee every month - I think it was $5.95 or so. You've been lucky not to be hit with a fee before now, I guess. :)

I have been paying a PCI compliance fee for 2-3 years now. They are all doing this! I believe last year mine was $50, double what it was the year before. They have each found another way to tack on an additional fee to cover moneys they were loosing from the card carrier.

I negotiated no montly fees when I first contracted because I used to sell cc processing and know that you can "demand" no statement fee and no montly fee ... fortunately this is one thing you can take your business elsewhere.
I am looking at doing online processing (USB swiper on keyboard) - anyone having any good recs?

I'm using intuit for online processing. A monthly fee of ~$13 and no PCI fees (so far).

I looked at Intuit they are offering 3 months no fees but then around $20 after that, hoping to find an online with no fees, these co's make so much per tran they really $crew us on fees, although I like the idea if QB integration

I looked at Intuit they are offering 3 months no fees but then around $20 after that, hoping to find an online with no fees, these co's make so much per tran they really $crew us on fees, although I like the idea if QB integration.
No fees from a credit card processor! You can't be serious? That is just not going to happen.They get you one way or another. How do you think they make their money?

We only ever had to pay a PCI compliance fee if we were out of compliance. YOu fill out the online questionnaire and if everything's good you don't have a fee. This is with First Data.

Have you looked into Innpayment? That is who I use and I don't pay fees at all!

Catlady there are "junk fees" like monthly statement fees or just regular monthly fees, I have neither of those with my current processsor who I have had for 5 years (only because I "learnt" when I was selling cc processing those are negotiable) and there are fees per tran (mid qual, qual, non qual etc) and batch processing fees - they make their money on the % they charge you over and above what Visa/MC/Amex/DS are charging them to "process" and although 0.25% or 0.65% over what Visa/MC charges may not seem like a lot, it is HUGE because of the sheer volume - these are called residuals and if you had an "agent" then the residual is generally split between the reseller and the agent.

Have you looked into Innpayment? That is who I use and I don't pay fees at all!.
Really...no fees at all??? So how do they make any money? You have to pay them something don't you? How long have you been with them? I have a friend I have finally convinced to take credit cards and I'd like to point her to a good online processing company.

We only ever had to pay a PCI compliance fee if we were out of compliance. YOu fill out the online questionnaire and if everything's good you don't have a fee. This is with First Data..
Ok so give me the scoop. I use First Data & fill out the questionaire... I have never been told 'you are being charged $x because of this or that.

It cost I think it was $95 to set it up (I don't have the credit card machine so that saves some too) I use my computer and pay 2.19% I take Visa, Mastercard and Discover. No monthly charges either. I'm happy with them. Saw them advertise in the PAII magazine.

We only ever had to pay a PCI compliance fee if we were out of compliance. YOu fill out the online questionnaire and if everything's good you don't have a fee. This is with First Data..
Don Draper said:
We only ever had to pay a PCI compliance fee if we were out of compliance. YOu fill out the online questionnaire and if everything's good you don't have a fee. This is with First Data.
This specifically refers to "in order to offset the development costs for PCI compliance" so is not related to "non compliance."
I would be interested to know why they are saying you are NOT in (PCI) compliance because the only way they can do that is by coming in and auditing you.

It cost I think it was $95 to set it up (I don't have the credit card machine so that saves some too) I use my computer and pay 2.19% I take Visa, Mastercard and Discover. No monthly charges either. I'm happy with them. Saw them advertise in the PAII magazine..
Ah that explains it you are paying a higher rate (current rates should be around 1.61% for qual transactions (and remember that when anyone uses a reward or a corp card that immed becomes Non or Mid qual rates, Ie WE get screwed.
In some cases it is better to pay a higher % with no fees,
For your 2.19 rate is that fixed for qual, non qual and mid qual, swiped or non swiiped? If so it may be worth looking into that.

It cost I think it was $95 to set it up (I don't have the credit card machine so that saves some too) I use my computer and pay 2.19% I take Visa, Mastercard and Discover. No monthly charges either. I'm happy with them. Saw them advertise in the PAII magazine..
Ah that explains it you are paying a higher rate (current rates should be around 1.61% for qual transactions (and remember that when anyone uses a reward or a corp card that immed becomes Non or Mid qual rates, Ie WE get screwed.
In some cases it is better to pay a higher % with no fees,
For your 2.19 rate is that fixed for qual, non qual and mid qual, swiped or non swiiped? If so it may be worth looking into that.
I pay 2.19 for all of them. I don't have to swipe, don't have a credit card machine and don't want one either! This is working for me. no other charges!!! I use my computer or can call.

I realize this is going all over the place, but rates were brought up and I am curious if anyone besides agoodman is paying 1.61% for a non-rewards card? I know my 'flat rate' (i.e.- before rewards are tacked on) is over 2%. Knocking 40 cents off every $100 would certainly help.

Some processors are offering 1.49% but have monthly fees which of course I did not have before but now that I am "in the market" I will need to compare the one verses the other.
Alibi rememeber that I had that little advantage when I first signed up of have some inside knowlege because I used to sell cc processing so that helped me negotiate BUT I did not go with the company I used to sell processing for because I saw how they $crewed their customers .. but ANYONE can try and negotiate their rates, esp if you tell your processor you are "looking around"
Take a look at www.feefighters.com
PS MTL Innpayment looks interesting because I have so many corp and rewards cards so I will follow up on that one and if I do go with them maybe they will give you a referral fee!!!

Back