Here's the TA review you NEVER want!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm, I don't always believe these things.
Years ago someone in one of our cottages complained that his girls had been bitten by fleas. Immediately I called my OR KIN man and he did an extensive search with a glue trap. The only thing he found was a few hairs. Not a bug, fly - nothing.
Turns out the girls were swimming in a lake here, that, if you don't shower after swimming in it, gives you swimmer's itch. And that is what had happened to those girls. Looks like bites, comes from duck feces in the lake ;)
Of course, the guy had told everyone he encountered that they had flea bites, before hearing what really happened. thanks a lot for trying to ruin our reputation, grrrrrr

Years ago someone in one of our cottages complained that his girls had been bitten by fleas. Immediately I called my OR KIN man and he did an extensive search with a glue trap. The only thing he found was a few hairs. Not a bug, fly - nothing.
Turns out the girls were swimming in a lake here, that, if you don't shower after swimming in it, gives you swimmer's itch. And that is what had happened to those girls. Looks like bites, comes from duck feces in the lake ;)
Of course, the guy had told everyone he encountered that they had flea bites, before hearing what really happened. thanks a lot for trying to ruin our reputation, grrrrrr.
They get any bite and it is right away labeled as bb. Even if they are bitten by them maybe they picked them up themselves in a restaurant or movie theatre.

Of course, the guy had told everyone he encountered that they had flea bites, before hearing what really happened. thanks a lot for trying to ruin our reputation, grrrrrr.
We had a couple of kids here who were completely chewed up by mosquitoes. Their mother asked me what was wrong with them. Like it was my fault. I told her to take the kids to the quick clinic up the street but I thought it was mosquitoes.

I think the review is quite reasonable, if correct. They said they called, and the place seemed unsurprised by the lack of response.
We lived in a temporary housing that had bed bugs, and it was no fun what we went through - taking stacks of clothes, bedding, curtains, etc. to the laundry 3 times, each time the place was treated (once every several weeks). The landlord blamed us, but we never had them ever before. We were the first unit on a long hallway coming in, and every time people went past our place anything could get out and under our doorway.
Most people who leave negative reviews are unlikely to be dead wrong.
If someone leaves a negative review, you first contact them and investigate the problem to see if there is any truth to it. If you did something wrong, you correct the issue and apologize/offer compensation. If there was a misunderstanding, you discuss if they can remove or revise the review. If they refuse, you leave a response. If it is false and damaging and you can prove it, you request the review site take it down.

I think the review is quite reasonable, if correct. They said they called, and the place seemed unsurprised by the lack of response.
We lived in a temporary housing that had bed bugs, and it was no fun what we went through - taking stacks of clothes, bedding, curtains, etc. to the laundry 3 times, each time the place was treated (once every several weeks). The landlord blamed us, but we never had them ever before. We were the first unit on a long hallway coming in, and every time people went past our place anything could get out and under our doorway.
If someone leaves a negative review, you first contact them and investigate the problem to see if there is any truth to it. If you did something wrong, you correct the issue and apologize/offer compensation. If there was a misunderstanding, you discuss if they can remove or revise the review. If they refuse, you leave a response. If it is false and damaging and you can prove it, you request the review site take it down..
More than likely the review would have been less damaging in tone if the hotel had taken some time to listen to the guests' complaints. Then again, we have no idea what the hotel really said. And they haven't responded.
Bed bug mitigation can get into the thousands, if done properly.
It helps to have staff trained to look for signs there may be a problem. The housekeepers certainly don't want to take the little buggers home so it should be put to them that way. Not protecting the hotel but protecting their own families.

The problem is... what the guest doesn't realize is that guests are the source of the bedbugs and the hotel's insurance company can also go after them, claiming they might have been the source. It's an awful deal all the way around.

The problem is... what the guest doesn't realize is that guests are the source of the bedbugs and the hotel's insurance company can also go after them, claiming they might have been the source. It's an awful deal all the way around..
insurance cannot go after someone unless it can prove they were the cause. This is the same issue as landlord-tenant law. The landlord cannot collect unless they can directly prove that tenant was the source. Bedbugs crawl between rooms. All the proof is on the owner.

I had this accusation from some guests from the north who had been here before. They discovered this a few days after their arrival in Florida at the property they had purchased there the winter before. They maintained it was from either here or the stop the next night (horse people need 2 stops to Florida). This set up is important as to why they made the accusation.
I immediately checked everything and of course found no evidence (white mattress, white mattress pad) and told her as much. Turns out, never having walked through grass and vegetation in the south prior to this were unaware of those darling critters down there - chiggers. Surprisingly, they have not returned as they do their snowbird route twice a year.

I don't want to bring the little darlings home from vacation so I strip beds on check in and never put my suitcase on the bed or chairs or couches.
If there's a desk that's where the suitcase goes.
Sounds like I need to check the sleeper sofa now, too.

If someone leaves a negative review, you first contact them and investigate the problem to see if there is any truth to it. If you did something wrong, you correct the issue and apologize/offer compensation. If there was a misunderstanding, you discuss if they can remove or revise the review. If they refuse, you leave a response. If it is false and damaging and you can prove it, you request the review site take it down..
More than likely the review would have been less damaging in tone if the hotel had taken some time to listen to the guests' complaints. Then again, we have no idea what the hotel really said. And they haven't responded.
It helps to have staff trained to look for signs there may be a problem. The housekeepers certainly don't want to take the little buggers home so it should be put to them that way. Not protecting the hotel but protecting their own families.
About the only cheap thing that works against bed bugs (and some other critters) is Diatomaceous Earth (places like Lowes has them). But it is not an immediate fix (of course, neither is professional treatment). This is essentially fine glass, from long-dead tiny sea creatures called diatoms that look like petri dishes. It disrupts their system when it gets into the bed bug.
Effective, but you cannot just throw it around. You basically put it under the bed and against the walls, away from human/animal traffic. In time, it will greatly reduce the population.

I talked to our bug guy this week about this very subject. I asked him what we could do to make sure these little unwanted guests never come to our place. He told me there is nothing you can do. If you haven't had them already you will. He told me if you have guests you will have these guests as well.( Eventually) you can have the cleanest place and it doesn't matter. He told me they don't care if your house is clean or dirty. Doesn't matter! Sooner or later you will get them. Condos are the worst he said! We live in a very busy tourist area and he is dealing with them every day all over town. People think it's because of the property being dirty! It's not. Guests bring them from home, hospitals, theaters anywhere people are there are BB. So be prepIred and have a plan to deal with them quickly at any thought or evidence. Oh and the bad news is this. You can treat them and get them all out. Then a new guest can arrive and start the process all over again. Makes me sick to think about it!

I posted earlier about Diatomaceous Earth for bed bugs. I am revising that, as there is a similar product (for dusting) that appears to be highly effective called Cimexa. It is used by industry professionals. It is available on Amazon and elsewhere.

Morticia said:
This is why we send out a survey link with our thank you letter. It's sent out automatically three days after they check out. The guests are able to voice any complaints directly to us. They also have the option to leave their name and email address if they want a response. This hopefully will give them satisfaction rather than leaving a bad review. We've responded to all who wanted a response with a thank you for letting us know, we will look into the matter, and we hope to see you again. No issues so far.

Morticia said:
This is why we send out a survey link with our thank you letter. It's sent out automatically three days after they check out. The guests are able to voice any complaints directly to us. They also have the option to leave their name and email address if they want a response. This hopefully will give them satisfaction rather than leaving a bad review. We've responded to all who wanted a response with a thank you for letting us know, we will look into the matter, and we hope to see you again. No issues so far.
ChrisandShelley said:
Morticia said:
This is a great idea especially as you're kinda new so it helps to hear what guests would change. I used to do that but my skin isn't thick enough. ;-) After complaints about things we just cannot change I stopped asking. (As you'll see there are a lot of breakfast complaints.)
  • Not enough breakfast
  • Too much breakfast
  • Not enough selection at breakfast (these guests all stated they wanted to ORDER breakfast, not eat what was being prepared)
  • Not enough time for breakfast
  • Breakfast should go until 11
  • Breakfast should start at 7
  • Not enough tables
  • No place to sit outside (not about breakfast and no idea what they meant as there are 18 different chairs in 5 different seating areas outside!)

Morticia said:
ChrisandShelley said:
Morticia said:
This is a great idea especially as you're kinda new so it helps to hear what guests would change. I used to do that but my skin isn't thick enough. ;-) After complaints about things we just cannot change I stopped asking. (As you'll see there are a lot of breakfast complaints.)
  • Not enough breakfast
  • Too much breakfast
  • Not enough selection at breakfast (these guests all stated they wanted to ORDER breakfast, not eat what was being prepared)
  • Not enough tables
  • No place to sit outside (not about breakfast and no idea what they meant as there are 18 different chairs in 5 different seating areas outside!)
Sounds like they want motel 6

Morticia said:
ChrisandShelley said:
Morticia said:
  • Not enough breakfast
  • Too much breakfast
  • Not enough tables
I call them the Imparters of Information - 90% of the time its things that just aren't practical however just now and again you get a gem
Had a lady in - she had been booked in by friends and had seen our add in the publication for the event they were coming to - said the add did not do us justice as we had a really nice place and it made us look a bit cheap and black pool (think lasvegas) - said we should take the photo's for any adds in the summer when all the flowers are out as we would look better - I hadn't realised they had used an old photo with the old plastic canopy on which we had replaced with a much more attractive glass and steel one which would be better.
My trouble is here if you put out planters they just get knicked as we are in a high traffic area in a town centre - neighbour had a large ornamental bridge stolen which would have required a van. - she had said "you could have pots and all sorts" me (1) no time (2) they wouldn't last a weekend - she is from a small village and never considered they would be knicked ASAP!

They get any bite and it is right away labeled as bb. Even if they are bitten by them maybe they picked them up themselves in a restaurant or movie theatre.
That is indeed a very negative review even though I have read much worse on TA... Pictures are usually far worse.
Plus I thought the response from the owner was not convincing at all... Could have been better.

Back