Hey, who you calling a pansy?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
violas.jpg

These are the violas I planted on top of the hyacinth bulbs on our deck. I love these cuties, they are so delicate and yet so hardy at the same time. They will usually over-winter here, dying back with frost and then reblooming again as it starts to thaw out. I will let you know if the bulbs come through or not!

The flowers are edible as well, so don't forget to use them as garnishes in your food presentations.

The flowers are edible as well, so don't forget to use them as garnishes in your food presentations..
yes, but be sure you do not use any chemicals on them if you plan to use them for garnish and possible food. I used they alot, but no one ever ate them.

We do strictly fruit garnishes, I can't stand to cut anything from outside, I feel like I'm murdering them!

You can garnish with violas? I've heard of using nasturtiums but not violas.
I always add a sprig of fresh mint to garnish our strawberries and cream fruit course. Though, you have to be careful garnishing with certain herbs because some people are allergic to them and that, unfortunately, they always forget to mention when asked about dietary concerns.

I always add a sprig of fresh mint to garnish our strawberries and cream fruit course. Though, you have to be careful garnishing with certain herbs because some people are allergic to them and that, unfortunately, they always forget to mention when asked about dietary concerns..
I garnished with all sorts of flowers & herbs from my garden. I never saw anyone eat any of them...

I always add a sprig of fresh mint to garnish our strawberries and cream fruit course. Though, you have to be careful garnishing with certain herbs because some people are allergic to them and that, unfortunately, they always forget to mention when asked about dietary concerns..
I garnished with all sorts of flowers & herbs from my garden. I never saw anyone eat any of them...
catlady said:
Some ornamental plants are extremely toxic. If they are not of an edible variety, there could very well be cross contamination of your food from the toxic flowers. If your guests DID eat one of them (or attempt to) it would not be a pleasant way to finish breakfast.
Check this out: Edible Flowers or Foliage
You might also see if your county extension agent has literature on what plants are safe and which are not. Also, might look to see if your health department weighs in on the subject.

We do strictly fruit garnishes, I can't stand to cut anything from outside, I feel like I'm murdering them!.
What? That is what all those beautiful flowers are for...to cut, bring in and enjoy.:)
I hear ya! I just enjoy them more in their natural setting. I have trouble pruning too, I know it's good for them but I still cringe when I do it! I'm a natural born tree hugger
teeth_smile.gif

catlady said:
Some ornamental plants are extremely toxic. If they are not of an edible variety, there could very well be cross contamination of your food from the toxic flowers. If your guests DID eat one of them (or attempt to) it would not be a pleasant way to finish breakfast.
You might also see if your county extension agent has literature on what plants are safe and which are not. Also, might look to see if your health department weighs in on the subject.
All of the ones I used were edible. And I don't use chemicals on any of my stuff.
Here's an interesting link.
Here are a few samples of my garnishes.
DSCN2807.jpg
coffeecake.jpg

DSCN2909.jpg

catlady said:
I was a county extension agent for 20 years :) I have no worries as we are now retired and closed.

catlady said:
I was a county extension agent for 20 years :) I have no worries as we are now retired and closed.
catlady said:
So you KNOW which plants to use to poison PITAs!
lol-053.gif

catlady said:
All of the ones I used were edible. And I don't use chemicals on any of my stuff.
DSCN2807.jpg
coffeecake.jpg

DSCN2909.jpg

BEEEYOOOTEEEFUULLLL!!! And now I am starving, those parfaits look amazing!

catlady said:
DSCN2807.jpg
coffeecake.jpg

DSCN2909.jpg

catlady said:
DSCN2807.jpg
coffeecake.jpg

DSCN2909.jpg
Yummy looking pictures and it looks like you were using your Fiesta! I would never eat any flowers on/beside my food.....they look great on the plate, but it just seems strange to eat them

Back