Hi Swirt,

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I posted my 18lb. beautiful neice, holding on to the back of my 145lb saint bernard. Everyone, I mean EVERYONE who saw this picture, was amazed, except my fellow innkeepers on this forum. Not even ONE commented. I think that's awful. God gave everyone a backbone.
Let's see if this posts..
trishany said:
Also, I posted my 18lb. beautiful neice, holding on to the back of my 145lb saint bernard. Everyone, I mean EVERYONE who saw this picture, was amazed, except my fellow innkeepers on this forum. Not even ONE commented. I think that's awful. God gave everyone a backbone.
Let's see if this posts.
The picture(s) of your dog(s) showed up. No one posted because we've seen a bazillion photos of your dogs. Dogs with kids, dogs in the water, dogs climbing into the beds, dog home from surgery, Daisy taking care of MacDuff, etc. You've told how guests love the dogs. How 145 guests have had their picture taken with the dogs. That's wonderful. Mostly, tho, we (I) don't care about the dogs. We all have dogs or cats or kids we love, too. This isn't the place. Unless it is totally brand new, earth-shattering dog news most of us are not going to comment on pictures of anyone's dogs.
Now. There's the backbone I was born with. Sorry I didn't mention I don't care about the dogs sooner. Personally, I just didn't want to hurt your feelings. But you keep throwing everyone's lack of interest in our faces.
Post about running the B&B, post about the guests, post about the great breakfasts and where you find the fabulous linens. Heck, post about the drunken guests you've had to pick up at the wineries. We'll all respond. But the dogs? Nope. We're (I'm) done with the dogs.
Of course, "it's the place". The Off Topic Forum is EXACTLY the place to post pictures of my dogs, Bree, whether you agree or not. Others might like to see these pictures.
I posted pictures here of the dogs cause I thought they were very beautiful pictures, and I thought that some people, seeing a 185lb dog on three legs with an 18lb 3-year old on his back would be very inspiring to some people. And, a picture that some would never see. That's all.
I thought it would bring a smile to some faces. I'm sorry if you didn't like them.
And you say "mostly, we (I) don't care about the dogs". I know you didn't mean to say such a harsh thing. But, one thing I don't understand -- when you said "we", did you mean your family? did you mean the people on this forum? who did you mean?
trishany said:
Of course, "it's the place". The Off Topic Forum is EXACTLY the place to post pictures of my dogs, Bree, whether you agree or not. Others might like to see these pictures.
I posted pictures here of the dogs cause I thought they were very beautiful pictures, and I thought that some people, seeing a 185lb dog on three legs with an 18lb 3-year old on his back would be very inspiring to some people. And, a picture that some would never see. That's all.
I thought it would bring a smile to some faces. I'm sorry if you didn't like them.
And you say "mostly, we (I) don't care about the dogs". I know you didn't mean to say such a harsh thing. But, one thing I don't understand -- when you said "we", did you mean your family? did you mean the people on this forum? who did you mean?
My family doesn't look at this forum. I would think it is obvious who the 'we' is that I mentioned. You are saying none of your fellow innkeepers said anything about the dog pictures. That's who the 'we' is. Your fellow innkeepers. The people who want to see the pictures you post about your dogs have commented on the pictures. If no one else wants to comment on the pictures why in heaven's name do you care? It's not a popularity contest to see whose threads get the most comments.
Post the pictures but don't get all weepy when no one responds. Don't think your posts are not being posted. Don't get all conspiracy theory about your posts being blocked or deleted. They're all there for anyone who wants to comment on them to comment on them. No comments? No interest.
I didn't look at the pictures. I don't care about the pictures. Anyone who did care about the pictures posted their comments about the pictures.

trishany said:
Let's see if this posts.
The picture(s) of your dog(s) showed up. No one posted because we've seen a bazillion photos of your dogs. Dogs with kids, dogs in the water, dogs climbing into the beds, dog home from surgery, Daisy taking care of MacDuff, etc. You've told how guests love the dogs. How 145 guests have had their picture taken with the dogs. That's wonderful. Mostly, tho, we (I) don't care about the dogs. We all have dogs or cats or kids we love, too. This isn't the place. Unless it is totally brand new, earth-shattering dog news most of us are not going to comment on pictures of anyone's dogs.
Now. There's the backbone I was born with. Sorry I didn't mention I don't care about the dogs sooner. Personally, I just didn't want to hurt your feelings. But you keep throwing everyone's lack of interest in our faces.
Post about running the B&B, post about the guests, post about the great breakfasts and where you find the fabulous linens. Heck, post about the drunken guests you've had to pick up at the wineries. We'll all respond. But the dogs? Nope. We're (I'm) done with the dogs.
All the people who DIDN'T respond to your pictures WEREN'T interested in responding. How hard is that to understand? There are posts on here all the time that get no response - that means no one has anything to say.
How could anyone who saw that picture NOT respond? If I saw a picture like that, I would immediately respond to the poster.
But, you're right, some people are just not interested in responding.
trishany said:
How could anyone who saw that picture NOT respond?
Well there are lots of reasons why people wouldn't respond
  1. Some people have seen the picture before and they didn't respond to it the first time around.
  2. Some people never saw the photo because they instructed the software to ignore posts from you so they don't get drawn into these kinds of discussions with you.
  3. Some people probably chose not to question why you have a child described as a guest when you have a no children policy but didn't want to get drawn in to these kinds of discussions with you.
  4. Some people choose not to respond to you as they have said, they will not be responding to you and have stuck to their resolutions so that they don't get drawn in to these kinds of discussions with you.
  5. Personally I was biting my tongue to keep from saying that it is incredibly stupid to let any child climb on any dog as it is a risk to both child and dog, and even more stupid to let a child climb on a dog that has already had one leg amputated. But I avoided saying that because I didn't want to get drawn into this kind of discussion with you.

trishany said:
Let's see if this posts.
All the people who DIDN'T respond to your pictures WEREN'T interested in responding. How hard is that to understand? There are posts on here all the time that get no response - that means no one has anything to say.
How could anyone who saw that picture NOT respond? If I saw a picture like that, I would immediately respond to the poster.
Clearly, I'm not you. I had absolutely no problem not responding to that picture. It doesn't surprise me in the least that no one responded to that picture. Not my dog, not my kid - not even one of my guests. You should get used to the idea that not everyone is interested in engaging with you on any random topic you put out there.

trishany said:
Let's see if this posts.
I saw the picture last week when I was in the throes of baking for my county fair. I've been too busy to post, and not just on yours, on almost every thread... I'm still way behind in catching up, so I mostly read and not post as much as I do when I'm all caught up.
What was there to say? It's a cute girl on a big dog. It wasn't amazing to me... many very small chlidren have sat on many large dogs in the past (wise or not, it's often done). It was cute, but you already knew that.
I'm on here to learn and share about innkeeping, not dogkeeping. I love posting pics of my ds4x2, but I try to keep them to a minimum so as not to bore others (who may have their own kids, or not care for kids, or simply not care about someone else's kids). I try to somehow make the pics I post be somehow related to innkeeping, and I never post the same pic twice.
Really, do you want to see more pics of my kids? Would you like to know how many blue ribbons I won?
Where are you looking for your posts, when you can't find them? They won't be under "posts I haven't read" because you read them when you posted them.
Do you respond to every thread? I post a lot on here, but I don't respond to every thread. Many of JBJ's "Inn the News" posts get no responses at all. She recently asked if she should keep posting them. We told her yes.
Should you keep posting dog pics? I would say they're OK within the following parameters: 1) try to somehow make them inn related (like the guest who was petrified of dogs and now isn't). 2) Never post the same pic twice (we've seen what you call the "wedding" pic and the snowy pic at least six times now!). If it's not new, don't post it. 3) Try not to start a new thread for every new pic. If you have three pics to post, put them all in the same thread, not in three separate ones. 4) Give your thread a topic that tells people what it is, as in "Another Pic of My Big Dog." That way people who are tired of the pics can skip that thread, and people who like pics can click on it and enjoy.
You are right that OFF Topic Stuff is exactly where to post these pics. And we do post stuff that's personal sometimes. All fine and dandy, but a little goes a long way.
Hope that clarifies things a little...
=)
Kk.

I see these that seem pretty recent.
https://www.innspiring.com/node/1208#comment-12753
https://www.innspiring.com/node/1238#comment-12752
Are these the ones you are talking about?.
Again, none of my responses are showing up. I'm a "three, you're out" person. Just let me know. Believe me, I can take it. But, you have to honest with me.
Rest assured. Your comments won't mysteriously disappear. If you do manage to get yourself relieved of your posting privileges, you simply won't be able to login, so you won't be able to post. And you would be notified by me of that.

Okay, see the post. sorry and thank you..
Trisha, I googled Distinction Magazine but it looks like they don't have an online version? I wanted to read about you/your B&B! Do you have a link you can share??
regular_smile.gif

Georgiagirl, I'm surprised you remembered! how did you remember?
Well it sounds like it's an honor for you (as I've said before, I'm NOT an Innkeeper and I don't really know if I'm an aspiring or not
confused_smile.gif
) so I was interested in reading it and it just stuck in my mind.

trishany said:
Let's see if this posts.
trishany said:
  1. Some people have seen the picture before and they didn't respond to it the first time around.
  2. Some people never saw the photo because they instructed the software to ignore posts from you so they don't get drawn into these kinds of discussions with you.
  3. Some people probably chose not to question why you have a child described as a guest when you have a no children policy but didn't want to get drawn in to these kinds of discussions with you.
  4. Some people choose not to respond to you as they have said, they will not be responding to you and have stuck to their resolutions so that they don't get drawn in to these kinds of discussions with you.
  5. Personally I was biting my tongue to keep from saying that it is incredibly stupid to let any child climb on any dog as it is a risk to both child and dog, and even more stupid to let a child climb on a dog that has already had one leg amputated. But I avoided saying that because I didn't want to get drawn into this kind of discussion with you.
- Never, ever posted this picture before
- People ignoring my posts - their loss
- There are new poeple posting all the time.
- We DON'T allow children. The "child" guest is my neice -- blocked out the nights they were staying. If my sisters and my nieces want to come out to see us, they have priority over guests. You really didn't figure that out?
- Well, Swirt, I'm sorry that you did not have the opportunity to have such absolute trust in a dog like we do. I know it's incredible to see a picture like this, but it's not "incredibly stupid", and I really am surprised at your ignorance regarding dogs and children. There are millions of dogs like this.
Would you say the same if she was hugging a yorkie (that's a yorkshire terrier -- the tiny dogs)?.
This was my niece. If I or my DH or her mother or her father had one iota of doubt about our dogs, we would never have put her in harm's way.
I don't think you really looked at the pictures. Did you see our three-legged 185lb McDuff lying on the floor with my niece sitting on top of him? Yup, Duff looks like he's about to bite her leg off. LOOK at the picture for goodness sake.
Does Daisy look like she doesn't want my neice on her back? or does she look like she's about to throw her on the ground and stomp all over her and sink her teeth into her. Really, LOOK at the picture.
Awww, come on Swirt. How can you say this is "incredibly stupid"? Like I said, there are millions of dogs who are like mine, who protect the children in their family, who watch over babies, etc. -- you must know this. And, I'm so sorry that you never had the chance to meet a dog like this.

trishany said:
Let's see if this posts.
trishany said:
- Never, ever posted this picture before
- People ignoring my posts - their loss
- There are new poeple posting all the time.
- We DON'T allow children. The "child" guest is my neice -- blocked out the nights they were staying. If my sisters and my nieces want to come out to see us, they have priority over guests. You really didn't figure that out?
- Well, Swirt, I'm sorry that you did not have the opportunity to have such absolute trust in a dog like we do. I know it's incredible to see a picture like this, but it's not "incredibly stupid", and I really am surprised at your ignorance regarding dogs and children. There are millions of dogs like this.
Would you say the same if she was hugging a yorkie (that's a yorkshire terrier -- the tiny dogs)?.
This was my niece. If I or my DH or her mother or her father had one iota of doubt about our dogs, we would never have put her in harm's way.
I don't think you really looked at the pictures. Did you see our three-legged 185lb McDuff lying on the floor with my niece sitting on top of him? Yup, Duff looks like he's about to bite her leg off. LOOK at the picture for goodness sake.
Does Daisy look like she doesn't want my neice on her back? or does she look like she's about to throw her on the ground and stomp all over her and sink her teeth into her. Really, LOOK at the picture.
Awww, come on Swirt. How can you say this is "incredibly stupid"? Like I said, there are millions of dogs who are like mine, who protect the children in their family, who watch over babies, etc. -- you must know this. And, I'm so sorry that you never had the chance to meet a dog like this.
I stand with my original call of INCREDIBLY STUPID.
Find one qualified Veterinarian or highly experienced Dog Trainer who ever suggests letting a child climb on a dog of an size is a good idea. What you can find are lots of things like this
http://www.gooddogsa.com/files/InfoSheet%5BKids_Dogs%5D.pdf said:
Sometimes kids climb on dogs, pull tails, or are excessively rough with the dog. A tormented dog, may bite without warning.
Or there is this one
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/172750/keeping_your_child_safe_from_dog_bites.html?cat=53 said:
Contrary to popular belief, these aren't usually dangerous dogs running lose around the neighborhood. In most cases, the children being bitten are children that the dogs know. Many time times dogs bite the children that they live with because the children aren't taught the proper way to treat animals. Parents let children climb all over the family pet.
In case none of these were specific enough for you, there is this one that can't get any clearer.
http://www.web-rover.com/dogbite/injury.php said:
10 things you can teach your children to prevent dog bite injury
Do not climb on dogs, lift them or do anything that may hurt them.
I've raised 6 dogs. One of them I had to have put down because he bit 3 people. In each case, not a single person saw it coming. Dogs are faster than we are and if they are biting in response to pain, you won't see it coming.
First responders to a dog getting hit by a car (often the dog's owner), are often bit by the dogs in pain. Dogs that would ordinarily never hurt a fly.
Even if you don't value your niece's safety, your concern for either of your dog's wellbeing should kick in. You have a breed of dog that is known to have trouble with their hips. Letting a child climb on your dog is insensitive to the dog's well being. Letting a child climb on a dog that has already lost a limb is careless, negligent and stupid.

Your advice for websites is great and I hope the women doing mine does not get miffed because I sent her the link so she can view it.

Back