HI This Week... Chargebacks!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Anyone see this episode? They talked about chargebacks... AM mentioned that one OTA had much higher chargebacks than any other. Care to speculate which one?

Hotel Impossible. AM = Anthony Melchiorri

What's HI ? And my guess is booking.con.
I don't think it is Bkng.com as Anthony told the owner to not do business with the agency anymore and it would cut down enormously on the chargeback... as of last night the hotel in question was still being offered on bkng.com

notAgrandma said:
What's HI ? And my guess is booking.con
Hotel Inspector
Morticia said:
notAgrandma said:
Hotel Inspector
It's Hotel Impossible. A great show. Now if ever DH and I have a disagreement about something at our inn, I say to him "What would Anthony do?"
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
notAgrandma said:
Hotel Inspector
It's Hotel Impossible. A great show. Now if ever DH and I have a disagreement about something at our inn, I say to him "What would Anthony do?"
Grin!

Hotel Impossible. AM = Anthony Melchiorri.
Arks said:
I've never watched the show, but it sounds like I should! I was contacted years ago by either Hotel Impossible or Hotel Hell (the one w Gordon Ramsay). I forget which one. We'd owned the B&B for under a year. Anyway, they were interested in filming here and I said NO WAY. I told them that my understanding is they're looking for disastrous places that are run down, health & safety violations, filthy rooms, bedbugs, etc., and we definitely do not fit in that category!! As much as I would love a $100K B&B makeover, there's no way I'd let them portray my business as a dump!

Arks said:
I've never watched the show, but it sounds like I should! I was contacted years ago by either Hotel Impossible or Hotel Hell (the one w Gordon Ramsay). I forget which one. We'd owned the B&B for under a year. Anyway, they were interested in filming here and I said NO WAY. I told them that my understanding is they're looking for disastrous places that are run down, health & safety violations, filthy rooms, bedbugs, etc., and we definitely do not fit in that category!! As much as I would love a $100K B&B makeover, there's no way I'd let them portray my business as a dump!
That's HH. A show you DON'T want to be on.

Actually, you really don't want to be on either. Both are not going to leave you looking good regardless of how hard you work to "change your ways" according to the narrative.
We were on a House Hunters-style reality show when we were shopping for our B&B 5 years ago. It turned out well for us, but rest assured there is nothing real about reality shows.

notAgrandma said:
Hotel Inspector
Morticia said:
notAgrandma said:
Hotel Inspector
Breakfast Diva said:
Me too! (And I always win)

Actually, you really don't want to be on either. Both are not going to leave you looking good regardless of how hard you work to "change your ways" according to the narrative.
We were on a House Hunters-style reality show when we were shopping for our B&B 5 years ago. It turned out well for us, but rest assured there is nothing real about reality shows..
PhineasSwann said:
We were on a House Hunters-style reality show when we were shopping for our B&B 5 years ago. It turned out well for us, but rest assured there is nothing real about reality shows.
Cool! I'd never heard of that show. I was approached and was interested but my husband and kid both vetoed. The pretend bickering that you see on some shows got them nervous. Looks like you had a wonderful experience.

Arks said:
notAgrandma said:
I've never watched the show, but it sounds like I should! I was contacted years ago by either Hotel Impossible or Hotel Hell (the one w Gordon Ramsay). I forget which one.
As I understand it, Hotel Impossible doesn't contact people. Innkeepers contact THEM, asking for help. So it's mostly places about to go under. About half of them are too far gone to save, even with good advice...most of which they refuse to take.
People call them because, I guess, the show brings them about $20,000 in renovations, supplies, software, etc. Most of the stuff is donated by contractors and inn supply companies in exchange for advertising mention/credit on the show.
I've picked up a lot of tips from Anthony over the years, but mostly I'm just shaking my head at how clueless, arrogant, and out of touch a lot of innkeepers are.

Arks said:
notAgrandma said:
I've never watched the show, but it sounds like I should! I was contacted years ago by either Hotel Impossible or Hotel Hell (the one w Gordon Ramsay). I forget which one.
As I understand it, Hotel Impossible doesn't contact people. Innkeepers contact THEM, asking for help. So it's mostly places about to go under. About half of them are too far gone to save, even with good advice...most of which they refuse to take.
People call them because, I guess, the show brings them about $20,000 in renovations, supplies, software, etc. Most of the stuff is donated by contractors and inn supply companies in exchange for advertising mention/credit on the show.
I've picked up a lot of tips from Anthony over the years, but mostly I'm just shaking my head at how clueless, arrogant, and out of touch a lot of innkeepers are.
I haven't seen many episodes of HI, I think it is on at a time I tend not to be, but I have seen a number of episodes of Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine. Same premise, failing restaurant with clueless mismanaging owners.....

Arks said:
notAgrandma said:
most of the people on that show are failing because they refuse to keep up with the times, don't have the temperament to be an innkeeper, won't take advice and won't do what to me is common sense advice - then they wait till the bank is literally foreclosing and then ask for advice when its far too late - same as Hotel inspector - don't want to be harsh but some people are setting themselves up to fail

Arks said:
notAgrandma said:
most of the people on that show are failing because they refuse to keep up with the times, don't have the temperament to be an innkeeper, won't take advice and won't do what to me is common sense advice - then they wait till the bank is literally foreclosing and then ask for advice when its far too late - same as Hotel inspector - don't want to be harsh but some people are setting themselves up to fail
I find it interesting that they often show how badly they manage the employees and the boss/employee relationship. If you want people to be loyal to you, you have to pay a living wage, so they want to be there, so they want to keep on working, so they care about the job.
The newest thing around here is talk of moving up the minimum wage to a working wage ($15) and I keep on hearing people saying that it will force small businesses out of business. Really? I can't get someone for under that wage at all. And even places like McD around here are already paying about $13 an hour.

Arks said:
notAgrandma said:
I find it interesting that they often show how badly they manage the employees and the boss/employee relationship. If you want people to be loyal to you, you have to pay a living wage, so they want to be there, so they want to keep on working, so they care about the job.
The newest thing around here is talk of moving up the minimum wage to a working wage ($15) and I keep on hearing people saying that it will force small businesses out of business. Really? I can't get someone for under that wage at all. And even places like McD around here are already paying about $13 an hour.
Generic said:
I can't get someone for under that wage at all.
And if you could, they wouldn't be worth having. Wouldn't show up reliably. Wouldn't do the job right.
Properly cleaning and resetting and restocking a guestroom is NOT a minimum wage job, not because it's so physically hard, but because it calls for a pretty good mind, with good judgement. Those people don't have to settle for minimum wage jobs unless they have some flaw, like unreliability.

Arks said:
notAgrandma said:
"As I understand it, Hotel Impossible doesn't contact people." - I swear beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was contacted and sure sounded completely legit. Like I said, it might have been Hotel Hell and not HI.
One article I read about HI yesterday said the renovations were more in the $100,000 range!

Arks said:
notAgrandma said:
I haven't seen many episodes of HI, I think it is on at a time I tend not to be, but I have seen a number of episodes of Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine. Same premise, failing restaurant with clueless mismanaging owners.....
OnTheShore said:
I have seen a number of episodes of Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine. Same premise, failing restaurant with clueless mismanaging owners.....
I love RI with RI !! I wish he was still doing it instead of yet another talk show. At least RI didn't play up any personal drama and didn't plant dead rats to amp up the "ick" factor. There was a bar near me that said Bar Rescue did stuff like that. Also, I had to laugh that the "bar makeover" they performed changed all of the local craft beer taps to Budweiser products. Hmm, I wonder who sponsors that show...

Arks said:
notAgrandma said:
there was one guy on hH with gordon - he hadn't paid half his staff in about 6 months! and no wonder they are doing a crap job!

Back