Hiccups in an innkeeper's day

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Absolutely maxed out with two seatings this morning, on my own, means clear it all up (which is a ton of stuff) and reset AND cook and serve etc all at the same time with 15 minutes between seatings, other rooms checking out…

I put our pooch out to go potty. Back to cooking, two women come to the door – right in the middle of all this… there is a tree guy supposed to come and look at that tree to cut the final section and stump grind…
I go out to let our pooch in and she is scampering, shaking, whimpering and bleeding all over the porch. Her left middle TOE NAIL is completely gone.
She is fine now, it was ONLY the toe nail, but when you have a business and emergencies, what can you do!! I was distraught to say the least. It was awful. She rolled over and let me examine her, the poor thing.
DH came home from work just now and traced the blood trail and it not sure what happened to her, and how only ONE toenail would be gone, other than getting caught under something. The guys from the town maintenance were out back mowing the cemetery…so not sure what happened. She is a like a little child crying for help, it broke my heart.
On another note, we had another incident last week midweek where a child before school smashed a front tooth and needed an emergency root canal. Without all the gory details, it was awful and we all cried about it as she does not even have ONE filling in her head, and now has a cap and will need a crown soon. Had to get into the dentist on an emergency and had a full house still and ROOMS that had to be cleaned and made up.
Okay back to it, just thought I would share. Pooch is resting on my bed with one bloody foot right now...BYE!

Oh Joey, I wish I could get in the car and come help!!!
I think this is when I reach my breaking point, when I know I have a ton of stuff to do and then 3 unexpected things happen...it's just too much and I want to cry. But I know what you did, you triaged the entire day just like a great ER doc/drill sargent/MOM does and just dealt with what needed to be dealt with first. No one will die if their breakfast is a few minutes late, nor if they have to wait for you to come check them out. But oh, the stress on you. I hope you're sleeping at night and not laying awake worrying about it all!!!

Poor you I know how awful we feel when a child/pup gets hurt period, much less in the middle of everything going on. Hope all heals better, both child and pooch.
RIki

Commiserating with you - unfortunately, it is about all I can do.
I hope the child is OK (pup too) and all goes well with the tooth. Mother Murphy being who she is, it MUST be a front tooth!

that's awful your poor baby we have rabbits and I know other people think we are potty but we are all potty about our pets do you think she got caught in something? My godmothers dog got out of the garden on its own and something happened to it and he had to have his toe amputated in the end. Mind you he was a completely daft animal he had a long tail which he wagged into anything and everything and in the end he damaged his own tail himself so badly that he had to have it amputated.

Not sure, the blood all over the porch seemed to lead from the garden and she has dirt all over her, but may have been from rolling over in pain. She is a big sookie sook right now, heard the girls bus pull up and usually is bounding out to meet them before it even gets to our house, and she stayed on my bed. Not sure what could rip an entire toenail right out.

Not sure, the blood all over the porch seemed to lead from the garden and she has dirt all over her, but may have been from rolling over in pain. She is a big sookie sook right now, heard the girls bus pull up and usually is bounding out to meet them before it even gets to our house, and she stayed on my bed. Not sure what could rip an entire toenail right out..
OUCH...the poor thing...sounds like she got her nail caught on something and couldn't get it loose. Is there a chain link fence near you? We had a weird thing happen here...I was working at the computer and saw a bird hanging upside down from the fence....too bad..it must have been there for a long while...it's leg had gotten caught down in the barbed wire...OH MY...I wanted to cry. If I had seen it earlier maybe I could have saved it...broken leg..but maybe it could still fly???? I hate to see any kind of animal hurt...oh maybe not skunks
embaressed_smile.gif

I have not been on the forum much lately with everything going on here....
Poor daughter! Poor pooch! Poor JOEY!
I hope TODAY was a better day!!
heart.gif

She is so sweet in her recovery, she is doing much better. We are keeping an eye on it in case of infection or swelling. I don't think she will have a toenail there again. Little mite.
Here is some good news for today - I went out to water the ferns and then decided to take a few fall pix and noticed the heat pump downstairs AND upstairs were OFF. This means, no cooling, no heating, WOW! The first time in forever...a truly FREE moment here.

She is so sweet in her recovery, she is doing much better. We are keeping an eye on it in case of infection or swelling. I don't think she will have a toenail there again. Little mite.
Here is some good news for today - I went out to water the ferns and then decided to take a few fall pix and noticed the heat pump downstairs AND upstairs were OFF. This means, no cooling, no heating, WOW! The first time in forever...a truly FREE moment here..
Joey Bloggs said:
no cooling, no heating, WOW! The first time in forever...a truly FREE moment here.
AMEN to that sister!!! Here's hoping this perfect weather continues, you deserve it!!!!!

we are into the cold snap now first time temp below zero this year brought the rabbits in as they looked sad so are skipping round the flat driving me mad and getting into everything till I get a hutch hugger.

Here is some good news for today - I went out to water the ferns and then decided to take a few fall pix and noticed the heat pump downstairs AND upstairs were OFF. This means, no cooling, no heating, WOW! The first time in forever...a truly FREE moment here..
This is my favorite time of the year here - NO heating or cooling almost 24 hours a day. It's still up to the low 80s in the afternoons here but it's not so hot that the A/C needs to run. HOORAY! I've managed to convince my dh to put a blanket on the bed in lieu of setting the heat to come on a night too. The house just doesn't cool down that much!

Back