Hiring Help

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Here I am again asking this question.
I want to hire someone to work from 11am to 2pm weekdays only. I cannot place an ad (when I did before I had over 300 calls!) I was so overwhelmed I put an ad and voicemail that the job is no longer available.
Do you hire someone who is self employed with insurance or do you pay all the taxes for this employment. Do you know anyone who just pays them cash? (I don't want to get anyone into trouble) so please speak on behalf of someone else if you like.
I am asking WORD OF MOUTH to find someone. It is between school start and let out so it might just work. I am offering $10 an hour which is a decent wage for around here - walmart is min wage.
Your thoughts? Anything and everything welcome, thank you.

I change the $ amount. I will give a raise if they are reliable.
Reliable housekeeper to work from 11am – 2pm weekdays at Bed & Breakfast cleaning rooms (stairs involved). $8.50 per hour. Seasonal – thru Nov 1st. (phone)
I have sent this out to a couple people and for them to send to a couple people. So far.

I've got a contract cleaning gal lined up for when I really need her. $10/hr & she is responsible for her own taxes, etc....won't be an employee, I don't want to mess with that!
I just hired a lawn service again...$100/week for the 2 yards. UGH! Kills me but I just can't do it all anymore, especially in the heat. I have to bite the bullet :-(

Ours are employees, part-time, and the woman I just hired is at $10/hour and our senior housekeeper is at $13. They work 1 to 4 days per week, longest days are 7 hours, no vacations or holidays or overtime. We do payroll for them. The local hotel here pays more like $7.50 an hour for housekeeping - but I expect more with mine.

If you hire someone who has a company and they can prove to you they are insured, then I think you can bypass workers comp. Otherwise you have to pay for this. You don't want someone getting your livelihood because they got a cut that got infected and you couldn't pay the hospital bill.
The hotels around here pay around $8.50/hr, I can't find anyone willing to work for $11/hr. Not that anyone has answered the ad who really wanted a job. Most of them are just keeping their unemployment bennies going by saying they applied for a job here. Not a one of them has ever called, they just email.

Reliable housekeeper to work from 11am – 2pm weekdays at Bed & Breakfast cleaning rooms (stairs involved). $8.50 per hour. Seasonal – thru Nov 1st. (phone)
I have sent this out to a couple people and for them to send to a couple people. So far..
You may be in luck because you don't want weekends. Weekends are tough, everyone wants them off.
One gal, who had actually contacted friends of ours and said she wanted housekeeping work, backed down as soon as she heard the hours. She couldn't work from 9-1, but she'd be happy to come in at 3. Huh? She works PT at a hotel, she knows when cleaning has to happen and it's not after 3 PM!

If you hire someone who has a company and they can prove to you they are insured, then I think you can bypass workers comp. Otherwise you have to pay for this. You don't want someone getting your livelihood because they got a cut that got infected and you couldn't pay the hospital bill.
The hotels around here pay around $8.50/hr, I can't find anyone willing to work for $11/hr. Not that anyone has answered the ad who really wanted a job. Most of them are just keeping their unemployment bennies going by saying they applied for a job here. Not a one of them has ever called, they just email..
That is what I will have...she has her own company. I don't want employees!

I've got a contract cleaning gal lined up for when I really need her. $10/hr & she is responsible for her own taxes, etc....won't be an employee, I don't want to mess with that!
I just hired a lawn service again...$100/week for the 2 yards. UGH! Kills me but I just can't do it all anymore, especially in the heat. I have to bite the bullet :-(.
Samster said:
I just hired a lawn service again...$100/week for the 2 yards. UGH! Kills me but I just can't do it all anymore, especially in the heat. I have to bite the bullet :-(
Lawn guy doing the lawns only or the gardens too? He mows once a week and gets $100? I am in the wrong business.

I just hired a lawn service again...$100/week for the 2 yards. UGH! Kills me but I just can't do it all anymore, especially in the heat. I have to bite the bullet :-(.
Samster said:
Lawn guy doing the lawns only or the gardens too? He mows once a week and gets $100? I am in the wrong business.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
Our gal mows once/week and gets $70. Would I want to be out there in this heat and humidity? Not a chance. No weeding, nothing but grass, that's all she does.

I have sent this out to a couple people and for them to send to a couple people. So far..
If you are hiring, then you are responsible for the FICA, and all that goes with it. Also liability insurance etc etc. It is not like hiring someone to babysit...anything happens..and you are responsible. You have to report the employees for your taxes etc etc. It all hardly seems worth the effort:-( Nice if you can find someone who has their own cleaning business and just do a "contract" with them.

When I called all the cleaning services/maids for hire they all wanted THEIR hours. There was no way to get across to them - no 5pm to 6pm WOULD NOT WORK!
They also wanted a heckuvalot more than $15 an hour. They did not want anything other than emptying trash and sweeping and lighter cleaning. I was appauled. In fact, they were ALL very arrogant about their service which ticked me off.
I am determined this time to find someone. Remind me I said that next week when I give up...
I cannot maintain our house and the B&B side. We will be living in a sty soon. Dh said "Let's discuss tonight." Like your lawn guys, he worked 10 hours yesterday then came home and spent 3 on the lawns - ate dinner at 9pm then went to bed by 10pm. (1/2 hr was repairing the whipper snipper and fussing with the lawn mower which direly needs a service).

Forgot to mention...if you don't deal with the tax part, as in taking taxes out of her pay each week, you have to send the form at the end of the year to her and the gov. I can't think what the form number is.

When I called all the cleaning services/maids for hire they all wanted THEIR hours. There was no way to get across to them - no 5pm to 6pm WOULD NOT WORK!
They also wanted a heckuvalot more than $15 an hour. They did not want anything other than emptying trash and sweeping and lighter cleaning. I was appauled. In fact, they were ALL very arrogant about their service which ticked me off.
I am determined this time to find someone. Remind me I said that next week when I give up...
I cannot maintain our house and the B&B side. We will be living in a sty soon. Dh said "Let's discuss tonight." Like your lawn guys, he worked 10 hours yesterday then came home and spent 3 on the lawns - ate dinner at 9pm then went to bed by 10pm. (1/2 hr was repairing the whipper snipper and fussing with the lawn mower which direly needs a service)..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
We found this, too. Established cleaning services want $20/hr. Depends on who gets the money, how much they want. If the cleaners work for someone, you have to pay a lot more. If they work for themselves you can sometimes get them to work for less. They've got their schedule, they're looking at you as 'fill in' work.

I just talked to my MIL who is a self-employed house cleaner and cleans privately owned McMansions. She is self-insured but does not carry WC because it's too expensive. She says that because she's her own business and doesn't carry WC, if she gets hurt on the job, it's her own responsibility to pay all her own medical expenses. I'm not sure she's 100% right on that ...
MIL gets $15/hour in a highly economically depressed area of the country. She's been doing this for 27 years, though, and has earned quite a bit of a reputation. She does work around her client's schedules and does what the client asks. When I told her what a B&B would mostly need, she said that should be no problem for somebody like her. She thought 11am - 2pm weekdays sounded like heaven -- especially 27 years ago when her kids were still in school!!
When a new client calls, she does a tour of the home before she agrees to take on the client. She said that she can tell, after this many years, what the clients say they want versus what the reality of the situation is. She will no longer take a client "house-unseen".
Her clients pay her (and claim her) as a private contractor and she handles all her own taxes and such. MIL suggests that you go to the McMansion neighborhoods and ask who they use and recommend. She feels that word-of-mouth will find you the best-trusted and quality housekeepers.
I don't know if that helps - seeing it from the other side...
Around here - finding one that is legal is going to be a problem.

Thanks Wendy.
The McM's are all over near the lake. I might snoop around that area to see what I can find. Appreciate your asking her for me.

Check this page for what you need to do: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98164,00.html

I used to fill out all these every month for myself years back. It didn't take too much time once you got the swing, but this person is not working many hours. It is a toss up. Like you say,

Does the State Innkeepers Assoc have a help wanted section on their site?

Back