History lessons

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowpondgj

Reaction score
Had a couple of sisters stay with us this weekend who lived in our house in the late 40's, brought pictures, family scrapbooks, etc. It was really cool to get some history, as we didn't have anything prior to 1960's and the place was completely gutted, but for some of the exterior. Our house is on record as 1916, but the PO found papers in the walls dating 1898, so we think that's the original date. So far no city records prior to 1960's. However, the sisters said that may be because we were looking for our current address and that the address was completetly different when they were here, so we will be going back to the clerk's office to do some more research...

What fun! We've had previous residents come back to take a look but they only go back to the 70's. Prior to that, the family who had owned thie house since it was built, are all deceased.

That is so cool! I love stuff like that. Did you get to make copies of any of the old photos, so you can hang them in the house if you want? My family has lived in your area since before your house was built, and many are still there. I wonder if anyone knew each other.

That is so cool! I love stuff like that. Did you get to make copies of any of the old photos, so you can hang them in the house if you want? My family has lived in your area since before your house was built, and many are still there. I wonder if anyone knew each other..
What is your family name? Probably know some of them! There seem to be a lot of native GJ-ers around here!

HOW FUN!
Yes our address changed a few years back as well.
I have had people stop in from time to time. Like I said to someone the other day when they wanted to know about ghosts. "No no ghosts, but I can tell you which rooms people died in" Actually BORN and DIED in the same room. One is my favorite room that gets all the morning sun through two windows.
I don't say that to just anyone, I did say it to a friend.

I love stuff like that, too! We have pictures in our foyer from the family that owned the place for 45 years, and i interviewed another lady who would come and stay here for six months at a time while her father was in the Navy during WWII.
The three girls who grew up here are now in their 60's. Their first comment when I gave them a tour... "It's so much smaller than we remember!" (This place is NOT small!)
=)
KK.

I love stuff like that, too! We have pictures in our foyer from the family that owned the place for 45 years, and i interviewed another lady who would come and stay here for six months at a time while her father was in the Navy during WWII.
The three girls who grew up here are now in their 60's. Their first comment when I gave them a tour... "It's so much smaller than we remember!" (This place is NOT small!)
=)
KK..
That's what these two said about the older part of the house!!! When you're little everything seems bigger...

We were visited in 1996 by the youngest son of the second (and longest) owner of our house. He was born here in 1919. He has since died - and also his older brother who corresponded with me when we first bought the house.
2 weeks ago, the grandson (son of 1919) returned for the third time - bringing a box full of his uncle's papers and documents including birth certificate, high school diploma, and military records. Virgil retired as a bird colonel and was commander of an air base in Japan in 1952 when a delegation of Taiwanese officers came to his base to study a jet the US was selling them.
It is neat getting the history of the family. Several of the people who rented rooms from the Gillums have returned as guests and there is a lady still in town who lived here (shared a room with another girl) during the War Years and actually drove the car for Mr. Gillum to deliver the "we regret to inform you" telegrams. He was also the telegrapher as well as station agent. We have photos and the family tree that is updated regularly.

I would love it if someone who lived in our home years ago would come by. Our home was built in 1880, but there was a 'homestead' here first. we have the actual abstract title for the property and it starts with a letter from President James Monroe dated 1822!

I would love it if someone who lived in our home years ago would come by. Our home was built in 1880, but there was a 'homestead' here first. we have the actual abstract title for the property and it starts with a letter from President James Monroe dated 1822!.
Mike also brought us his grandfather's original deed. We plan to frame it.

Back