Holding down food costs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have Costco or Sam's Club or some other discount store near you? You have to buy quantity but the price is significantly less. When we are in-season busy we buy grapes, oranges, kiwis and berries there. They are great quality and price is good because they are being shipped from where they are "in season" now (i.e., Chilean kiwis in the summer, from New Zealand in the winter). We don't do courses, we serve a pile of the same sliced fresh fruit every day..
We do have those but getting there is the issue. It's about an hour and a half round trip. Too much traveling in the summer. Not enough guests in the winter to make it cost effective.
What fresh fruit is usually available at a reasonable price? What the fruit is will lend to better ideas of how to stretch it/serve it.
gillumhouse said:
What fresh fruit is usually available at a reasonable price? What the fruit is will lend to better ideas of how to stretch it/serve it.
We can usually get melon. Apples. Pears. Bananas. Berries are what we like, tho, and that's where I need to change up all of our recipes to include tree fruits that stay ripe much longer, but still lend themselves to cooking up or simple chopping for toppings.
You all know I'm not the cook. Anything I broach has to be mentioned now to be in place in July. Me? I'd try anything tomorrow.

Do you have Costco or Sam's Club or some other discount store near you? You have to buy quantity but the price is significantly less. When we are in-season busy we buy grapes, oranges, kiwis and berries there. They are great quality and price is good because they are being shipped from where they are "in season" now (i.e., Chilean kiwis in the summer, from New Zealand in the winter). We don't do courses, we serve a pile of the same sliced fresh fruit every day..
We do have those but getting there is the issue. It's about an hour and a half round trip. Too much traveling in the summer. Not enough guests in the winter to make it cost effective.
gillumhouse said:
We can usually get melon. Apples. Pears. Bananas. Berries are what we like, tho, and that's where I need to change up all of our recipes to include tree fruits that stay ripe much longer, but still lend themselves to cooking up or simple chopping for toppings.
You all know I'm not the cook. Anything I broach has to be mentioned now to be in place in July. Me? I'd try anything tomorrow.
Here's a really, really easy baked apple. Cut the apple in half (half=1 person portion), with a melon baller, scoop out the seeds and make a well in the middle. Fill the hole with some canned cranberry sauce, remember that unbaked crisp topping I keep in the fridge? Smoosh some on top of the apple to cover it. Bake in the oven. The cooking time varies on the type and size of the apple.
Here's my crisp topping:
1 C flour
1 C Oats
1 1/2 sticks butter (12 tablespoons)
1 1/2 C Brown Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon OR Nutmeg
Blend it all together in a food processor, then store in a ziplock in the fridge. It'll keep for months

gillumhouse said:
Here's a really, really easy baked apple. Cut the apple in half (half=1 person portion), with a melon baller, scoop out the seeds and make a well in the middle. Fill the hole with some canned cranberry sauce, remember that unbaked crisp topping I keep in the fridge? Smoosh some on top of the apple to cover it. Bake in the oven. The cooking time varies on the type and size of the apple.
Here's my crisp topping:
1 C flour
1 C Oats
1 1/2 C Brown Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon OR Nutmeg
Blend it all together in a food processor, then store in a ziplock in the fridge. It'll keep for months
That sounds yummy, too and that's the same crisp topping I use!

gillumhouse said:
Here's my crisp topping:
1 C flour
1 C Oats
1 1/2 C Brown Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon OR Nutmeg
Alibi Ike said:
Very cool!

Here is my take. I know if I have an empty fridge (which I let "run out" from time to time) I use up and am creative with whatever else I have. Amazing the dishes and creativity that come from "figuring something out." So for me, shopping daily is a problem. If you can purchase and then "make do" with what you have you will be more apt to stretch things, vs oh I ran out of eggs, I will buy more tomorrow.
Or the other thing is of course, which we already know as well, buying fruit that lasts. Yes blackberries last but if they are $4.50 per little pint then they are not worth it (that is my opinion), so a guest gets ONE on their plate? Not worth it to me. We need the most bang for your buck.
Ike you said 40%, that is ALL OF US on this forum, every last one, unless we grow our own.
Yep shop the sales, if it ain't on sale don't buy it.
Here is an example from me - I buy whole pineapples, they have been a better price than melon! Now if I cut the pineapple up, cut the heart, the skin off there is not much pineapple left, so it takes 3 or 4 times as much pineapple and then it doesn't even look fresh!
So for pineapple it is aways on the plate in a quarter/triangle shape. I can get 4 x a slice, and let's see how many slices approx 8 = so that is 32 triangles per pineapple (more if I cut them thinner). So that is two nice triangles of fresh pineapple per person for 16 people, or 32 people if I just use one (which I will if I have a full color thing going on, ie pineapple strawberries and blueberries)
pineapple_slice.jpg

BELOW IS BAD IMO.
Do this below and you lose most of it and the overall FRESH FRUIT effect! Guests will think it is just out of a can! Sometime leaving the skin, the peel or the rind on is a good thing!
08-opening-a-pineapple.jpg
15-making-pineapples.jpg

32560-Canned-Pineapple-Pieces-30oz-1.jpg
Joey Bloggs said:
Ike you said 40%, that is ALL OF US on this forum, every last one, unless we grow our own.
Well we are giving this a try this year. Ate our first strawberries this last weekend - very good! Our cantalope and watermellons have just finished blooming and should (fingers crossed) start growing fruit. If they all make it, I will be giving some away! Tomatoes are really taking off as well. Also started several herbs I use and have already used some chives. This is a real learning experience! Armadilos were getting in there at night and digging them up... moth balls are now all over the plant beds, but no more armadillos.

gillumhouse said:
One thing I do when I have more guests than fruit to go around is to make fruit banana splits. Half a banana (dipped in lemon or orange juice to keep it from turning brown), 3 cantaloupe balls, 3 honeydew balls, and whatever third fruit I have - it does not take much (you could use apple chunks - again dipped in the juice to stop browning). Put a cherry on top in the middle or give it a squish of whipped cream if you have it with the cherry on top. Looks great and it has always been a big hit. I do have banana split dishes - thanks to Granny & an estate sale I have both clear & amber, but any plate or small bowl would do.

Every time I see the title of this thread I have this visual
[h2] Holding down food costs[/h2]

Here is my take. I know if I have an empty fridge (which I let "run out" from time to time) I use up and am creative with whatever else I have. Amazing the dishes and creativity that come from "figuring something out." So for me, shopping daily is a problem. If you can purchase and then "make do" with what you have you will be more apt to stretch things, vs oh I ran out of eggs, I will buy more tomorrow.
Or the other thing is of course, which we already know as well, buying fruit that lasts. Yes blackberries last but if they are $4.50 per little pint then they are not worth it (that is my opinion), so a guest gets ONE on their plate? Not worth it to me. We need the most bang for your buck.
Yep shop the sales, if it ain't on sale don't buy it.
Here is an example from me - I buy whole pineapples, they have been a better price than melon! Now if I cut the pineapple up, cut the heart, the skin off there is not much pineapple left, so it takes 3 or 4 times as much pineapple and then it doesn't even look fresh!
So for pineapple it is aways on the plate in a quarter/triangle shape. I can get 4 x a slice, and let's see how many slices approx 8 = so that is 32 triangles per pineapple (more if I cut them thinner). So that is two nice triangles of fresh pineapple per person for 16 people, or 32 people if I just use one (which I will if I have a full color thing going on, ie pineapple strawberries and blueberries)
pineapple_slice.jpg

BELOW IS BAD IMO.
Do this below and you lose most of it and the overall FRESH FRUIT effect! Guests will think it is just out of a can! Sometime leaving the skin, the peel or the rind on is a good thing!
08-opening-a-pineapple.jpg
15-making-pineapples.jpg

32560-Canned-Pineapple-Pieces-30oz-1.jpg
Joey Bloggs said:
Well we are giving this a try this year. Ate our first strawberries this last weekend - very good! Our cantalope and watermellons have just finished blooming and should (fingers crossed) start growing fruit. If they all make it, I will be giving some away! Tomatoes are really taking off as well. Also started several herbs I use and have already used some chives. This is a real learning experience! Armadilos were getting in there at night and digging them up... moth balls are now all over the plant beds, but no more armadillos.
This is fantastic! Be sure to tout this on your website, "homegrown" really means a lot to folks. You are definitely in the right spot to do this climate wise, just gotta watch out for those armadillos! Too funny.

Knowing your situation, it seems like shopping every day can be a curse in the fruit department. Like JB says, if you shop in bulk, you tend to make do with what you have. You can "mix & match" your fruit selections and then puree fruit into smoothies or fruit soups at the end of the week.
Try to work with your cook, and come up with a menu for the week and then shop accordingly. I really think this will help reduce your fresh fruit costs.

I just went out and got all my annuals for my window boxes. I'm standing there looking over everything, thinking about what I usually put in the boxes when a flat of herbs ran over and smacked me upside the head. So, the window boxes now have herbs along with the flowers. Duh. How many years did I waste that space.

I just went out and got all my annuals for my window boxes. I'm standing there looking over everything, thinking about what I usually put in the boxes when a flat of herbs ran over and smacked me upside the head. So, the window boxes now have herbs along with the flowers. Duh. How many years did I waste that space..
Haha! Good call!

I just went out and got all my annuals for my window boxes. I'm standing there looking over everything, thinking about what I usually put in the boxes when a flat of herbs ran over and smacked me upside the head. So, the window boxes now have herbs along with the flowers. Duh. How many years did I waste that space..
Window box herbs are a great idea!

Ike, I thought of you this morning. Not much fruit in the kitchen to choose from this morning and had 1 room that had been here for 3 nights, so the fresh fruit had already been served to them the previous days. I made peach smoothies with canned peaches with the juice, ice, heavy cream (ran out of yogurt) and sugar. All 6 guests drank up every drop so those canned peaches in the pantry came in handy!

Ike, I thought of you this morning. Not much fruit in the kitchen to choose from this morning and had 1 room that had been here for 3 nights, so the fresh fruit had already been served to them the previous days. I made peach smoothies with canned peaches with the juice, ice, heavy cream (ran out of yogurt) and sugar. All 6 guests drank up every drop so those canned peaches in the pantry came in handy!.
I'm going to try smoothies. First on myself. My big problem with smoothies is the noise. Running a blender in an open kitchen with guest rooms on 2 sides is tricky.

Ike, I thought of you this morning. Not much fruit in the kitchen to choose from this morning and had 1 room that had been here for 3 nights, so the fresh fruit had already been served to them the previous days. I made peach smoothies with canned peaches with the juice, ice, heavy cream (ran out of yogurt) and sugar. All 6 guests drank up every drop so those canned peaches in the pantry came in handy!.
I'm going to try smoothies. First on myself. My big problem with smoothies is the noise. Running a blender in an open kitchen with guest rooms on 2 sides is tricky.
I'm totally with you on that one. What I do is blend it up just minutes before I serve so I figure they better be awake anyway. I know that I'm more concerned about the noise than the guests are.

I'm totally with you on that one. What I do is blend it up just minutes before I serve so I figure they better be awake anyway. I know that I'm more concerned about the noise than the guests are.
Awesome! We are doing flat leaf parsley and cilantro for ourselves, it's been fantastic.

Okay so if y'all are making smoothies now can you please make mine a mocha style?
chef.gif
Now there's the real first course for any great breakfast!

Okay so if y'all are making smoothies now can you please make mine a mocha style?
chef.gif
Now there's the real first course for any great breakfast!.
mmmm... a mocha smoothie! Sounds like my idea of a great starter!

Well, I'm on my own here so I'm off to shop to see what I can scare up for the weekend.

your guests need to get up for breakfast anyway.
regular_smile.gif

if I heard a blender running, I would think, "sounds like something interesting for breakfast!"

Back