Holding down food costs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ike, I thought of you this morning. Not much fruit in the kitchen to choose from this morning and had 1 room that had been here for 3 nights, so the fresh fruit had already been served to them the previous days. I made peach smoothies with canned peaches with the juice, ice, heavy cream (ran out of yogurt) and sugar. All 6 guests drank up every drop so those canned peaches in the pantry came in handy!.
I'm going to try smoothies. First on myself. My big problem with smoothies is the noise. Running a blender in an open kitchen with guest rooms on 2 sides is tricky.
your guests need to get up for breakfast anyway.
regular_smile.gif

if I heard a blender running, I would think, "sounds like something interesting for breakfast!"
bnbtraveler said:
your guests need to get up for breakfast anyway.
regular_smile.gif

if I heard a blender running, I would think, "sounds like something interesting for breakfast!"
And yet many would think, 'What is that God-awful racket,' and be very grumpy. This is one of the things you find out once you own a place...the number of guests who will NOT book a room near the kitchen because they want to sleep in.
We start breakfast prep at 6 AM. Not everyone is even thinking about being awake at that point.

We have that issue with the coffee grinder. If someone is in the room above the kitchen we walk it into the laundry room.

OK, SIX DOLLARS for oj? (Can you tell I haven't shopped for groceries in years?)
Got all the ingredients I need to make parfaits for the next 3 mornings. Can change up the ingredients each day so it's slightly different. Can even use my new herbs for garnish! Dragged out the martini glasses to make it look special.

OK, SIX DOLLARS for oj? (Can you tell I haven't shopped for groceries in years?)
Got all the ingredients I need to make parfaits for the next 3 mornings. Can change up the ingredients each day so it's slightly different. Can even use my new herbs for garnish! Dragged out the martini glasses to make it look special..
Wow... you pay that much for OJ? Generally on sale we get 1.89l (2 quarts) for $3.00 on sale (sometimes less). The big 2.83l (3 quarts) was $5.49, not on sale and Tropicana branded. We only use OJ not from concentrate.

Got all the ingredients I need to make parfaits for the next 3 mornings. Can change up the ingredients each day so it's slightly different. Can even use my new herbs for garnish! Dragged out the martini glasses to make it look special..
Wow... you pay that much for OJ? Generally on sale we get 1.89l (2 quarts) for $3.00 on sale (sometimes less). The big 2.83l (3 quarts) was $5.49, not on sale and Tropicana branded. We only use OJ not from concentrate.
So, the price is close, $.50 more here. Cheaper than anything other than the store brand.
You get now why I'm griping about the cost of food! Everything is at least $.50-$1 more per item.
Eggs were $2/dz. Store brand.
Totally annoyed I could not buy a single pound of grapes but had to buy 2 lbs @ $2/lb.
I could save so much if I could just buy what I will use and not buy all this 'family' size stuff. Of course, in the summer this is moot. Whatever I buy is used in a couple of days. It's still quiet here until next week. So, I'll be eating grapes for a week!

I also only buy the "premium" OJ (not from concentrate) and it was $3.49 a half gallon last week. Not having storage space really is what is killing you. Is there an ice company in your town? a place that rents freezer lockers? I do not have room for a freezer and I pay $50 per year for a freezer locker about 12 miles from here. I am there once a week or more anyway getting produce so it is not too inconvenient to get things out or put them in. Going to empty my freezer into it a few days before we leave on our trip so I can unplug the fridge and leave the doors open. Anything left will be at the curb for garbage pick-up (or on an ice chest to go with us).

So, the price is close, $.50 more here. Cheaper than anything other than the store brand.
You get now why I'm griping about the cost of food! Everything is at least $.50-$1 more per item.
Totally annoyed I could not buy a single pound of grapes but had to buy 2 lbs @ $2/lb.
I could save so much if I could just buy what I will use and not buy all this 'family' size stuff. Of course, in the summer this is moot. Whatever I buy is used in a couple of days. It's still quiet here until next week. So, I'll be eating grapes for a week!
Why did you have to buy the whole 2 lbs? If the grapes are in the ziplock bags, or bags that open, I just take out what I need, but them in a plastic produce bag and buy it. That's how they are able to sell more....package them in big bags and most people will just take them.
I feel for you Ike...everything in my region is much more expensive than other parts of the state. Less people, more trucking to get it here, etc. We're really been shopping with coupons lately and it certainly helps that I live in dairy country, so I can get milk and cheese at reasonable prices. Fruit's the killer though.
Take a picture if you have time of your parfaits. We'd love to see them!

Why did you have to buy the whole 2 lbs? If the grapes are in the ziplock bags, or bags that open, I just take out what I need, but them in a plastic produce bag and buy it. That's how they are able to sell more....package them in big bags and most people will just take them.
I feel for you Ike...everything in my region is much more expensive than other parts of the state. Less people, more trucking to get it here, etc. We're really been shopping with coupons lately and it certainly helps that I live in dairy country, so I can get milk and cheese at reasonable prices. Fruit's the killer though.
Next time I will do just that. I got all the other fruits separate- apples, bananas, kiwis- so it was just the grapes that got me. Luckily, the sick spouse will eat anything that is left over.

Next time I will do just that. I got all the other fruits separate- apples, bananas, kiwis- so it was just the grapes that got me. Luckily, the sick spouse will eat anything that is left over.
Sorry to hear spouse is sick. Hope spousie gets better quickly.

Good luck doing this all yourself, you will be great. Hope your other half is back on the front lines with you soon!

Good luck doing this all yourself, you will be great. Hope your other half is back on the front lines with you soon!
He was trying to get everything set up for me. Opening this and that. I told him to get out of the kitchen and quit touching stuff! I have to go Chlorox everything now. Plus, he opened stuff I don't need because I don't cook the way he does. But, I'll use it because he opened it.
This is when I try new stuff! Then I hand it to him on a platter so he can't say, 'That won't work.'

That much for OJ
wow.gif
wow! I do like B. Diva and break off the amount of grapes I want... Took me a while to do this but there is no way I was going to buy a stuffed bag of grapes when I only needed one vine.
I started doing parfaits every few days and that has helped with the fruit costs. Been a while since I did a baked fruit dish... thanks for bringing that up, I love baked apples myself! I will also try B.Diva's dish - it looks so nice and delish I wanted to grab a spoon and dive into the screen.

Perhaps it may come time to rethink fruit being a course during breakfast ?
Maybe, fruit as a garnish instead ?
Consider that, where ever one may go out to have breakfast. Diner, IHop, what ever....how often is a fruit course included ?....if it is offered, it is a line item on the menu for what amounts to be about half a pint for more than $5.
Fruit is often included, as in pancakes.......if an egg dish, do it as a garnish.
The other alternative.....increase room rates

Perhaps it may come time to rethink fruit being a course during breakfast ?
Maybe, fruit as a garnish instead ?
Consider that, where ever one may go out to have breakfast. Diner, IHop, what ever....how often is a fruit course included ?....if it is offered, it is a line item on the menu for what amounts to be about half a pint for more than $5.
Fruit is often included, as in pancakes.......if an egg dish, do it as a garnish.
The other alternative.....increase room rates.
The alternative is to add a bread course. Which means baking every day. So, we're trying to balance cost with time. I think blending in cheaper fruits with the more expensive ones will work out in the long run.

I saw this post on a food blog today. You don't have to agree with the sentiments about additives, but there's a helpful recipe at the end of the post for extending maple syrup frugally.

I saw this post on a food blog today. You don't have to agree with the sentiments about additives, but there's a helpful recipe at the end of the post for extending maple syrup frugally..
muirford said:
I saw this post on a food blog today. You don't have to agree with the sentiments about additives, but there's a helpful recipe at the end of the post for extending maple syrup frugally.
Oh dear.... I'm afraid I might be drawn and quartered for that around here. I pay anywhere from $4 to $8 a pint for pure maple syrup in tins. We buy Canada Grade A Medium and sell to the guests as well. But I also don't put it out on the table unless there is something to serve it with. And we warn people about how sweet and strong it can be, since so many visitors from the south of us are used to the fake stuff.

I saw this post on a food blog today. You don't have to agree with the sentiments about additives, but there's a helpful recipe at the end of the post for extending maple syrup frugally..
muirford said:
Oh dear.... I'm afraid I might be drawn and quartered for that around here. I pay anywhere from $4 to $8 a pint for pure maple syrup in tins. We buy Canada Grade A Medium and sell to the guests as well. But I also don't put it out on the table unless there is something to serve it with. And we warn people about how sweet and strong it can be, since so many visitors from the south of us are used to the fake stuff.
We serve the pure stuff too - but DH's mom brings it from Vermont on a yearly basis from the farms near where his parents live.
RIki

muirford said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I pay anywhere from $4 to $8 a pint for pure maple syrup in tins. We buy Canada Grade A Medium and sell to the guests as well.
I can get in-state Grade A medium for $5 to $8 if I drive 2 1/2 hours for it. Having it shipped drives the price up too much. I can buy pure maple syrup at a big box store for about the same. Pure but not local. The really local stuff from the farmer's market is twice that price at least. We don't use the fake stuff but we only put it out with waffles or French toast.

muirford said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I pay anywhere from $4 to $8 a pint for pure maple syrup in tins. We buy Canada Grade A Medium and sell to the guests as well.
I can get in-state Grade A medium for $5 to $8 if I drive 2 1/2 hours for it. Having it shipped drives the price up too much. I can buy pure maple syrup at a big box store for about the same. Pure but not local. The really local stuff from the farmer's market is twice that price at least. We don't use the fake stuff but we only put it out with waffles or French toast.
muirford said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I just saw this and I have to totally disagree with this STUDY. I have never found anthying at our or any other farmer's market that is less. It costs more to grow anything on a smaller scale, even my local eggs are more than buying them from a chain store...
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]New study shows that often it's cheaper to buy food at a farmer's market[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]http://ow.ly/4Vpqi[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)] Go find one by you today.[/COLOR]

Back