Holding down food costs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this post on a food blog today. You don't have to agree with the sentiments about additives, but there's a helpful recipe at the end of the post for extending maple syrup frugally..
muirford said:
I saw this post on a food blog today. You don't have to agree with the sentiments about additives, but there's a helpful recipe at the end of the post for extending maple syrup frugally.
Oh dear.... I'm afraid I might be drawn and quartered for that around here. I pay anywhere from $4 to $8 a pint for pure maple syrup in tins. We buy Canada Grade A Medium and sell to the guests as well. But I also don't put it out on the table unless there is something to serve it with. And we warn people about how sweet and strong it can be, since so many visitors from the south of us are used to the fake stuff.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I pay anywhere from $4 to $8 a pint for pure maple syrup in tins. We buy Canada Grade A Medium and sell to the guests as well.
I can get in-state Grade A medium for $5 to $8 if I drive 2 1/2 hours for it. Having it shipped drives the price up too much. I can buy pure maple syrup at a big box store for about the same. Pure but not local. The really local stuff from the farmer's market is twice that price at least. We don't use the fake stuff but we only put it out with waffles or French toast.
You mean like at Costco? That's pure Quebec maple syrup. Now, it's cheaper for me to buy the local supply in quantity, as I can often beat Costco's price. But a few years ago, we were heading down to Costco to buy it, cheaper. And yup, in big letters "Product of Canada".

I saw this post on a food blog today. You don't have to agree with the sentiments about additives, but there's a helpful recipe at the end of the post for extending maple syrup frugally..
muirford said:
I saw this post on a food blog today. You don't have to agree with the sentiments about additives, but there's a helpful recipe at the end of the post for extending maple syrup frugally.
Oh dear.... I'm afraid I might be drawn and quartered for that around here. I pay anywhere from $4 to $8 a pint for pure maple syrup in tins. We buy Canada Grade A Medium and sell to the guests as well. But I also don't put it out on the table unless there is something to serve it with. And we warn people about how sweet and strong it can be, since so many visitors from the south of us are used to the fake stuff.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I pay anywhere from $4 to $8 a pint for pure maple syrup in tins. We buy Canada Grade A Medium and sell to the guests as well.
I can get in-state Grade A medium for $5 to $8 if I drive 2 1/2 hours for it. Having it shipped drives the price up too much. I can buy pure maple syrup at a big box store for about the same. Pure but not local. The really local stuff from the farmer's market is twice that price at least. We don't use the fake stuff but we only put it out with waffles or French toast.
You mean like at Costco? That's pure Quebec maple syrup. Now, it's cheaper for me to buy the local supply in quantity, as I can often beat Costco's price. But a few years ago, we were heading down to Costco to buy it, cheaper. And yup, in big letters "Product of Canada".
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You mean like at Costco? That's pure Quebec maple syrup.
Usually Sam's Club which is closest to me, but it's probably the same origin. Trader Joe's is good also, and about the same price, although I prefer the Grade B to Grade A.

muirford said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Usually Sam's Club which is closest to me, but it's probably the same origin. Trader Joe's is good also, and about the same price, although I prefer the Grade B to Grade A.
Local farmer near me makes his own syryp- certified organic- and becuase his main customers are people like him, he only charges $35/GAL for the stuff. Pure, Ohio, top-of-the-line, syrup. He says that he wants regular people to enjoy it as he does- God love 'em
Other sugarers around here charge between $50- $55/gal for it.

muirford said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Local farmer near me makes his own syryp- certified organic- and becuase his main customers are people like him, he only charges $35/GAL for the stuff. Pure, Ohio, top-of-the-line, syrup. He says that he wants regular people to enjoy it as he does- God love 'em
Other sugarers around here charge between $50- $55/gal for it.
Penelope said:
Local farmer near me makes his own syryp- certified organic- and becuase his main customers are people like him, he only charges $35/GAL for the stuff.
That's a great price. My benchmark is $40/gallon - anything around that, I'll buy. That's what it cost me when I drove 2 1/2 hours over the mountains to get it.

Back