Holiday Boat Parade in Downtown Miami Saturday Night

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanctuary

Reaction score
This Saturday evening (Dec. 20), we will be out on Sanctuary with the web cam running for the Annual Miami Holiday Boat Parade that takes place against the picturesque backdrop of downtown Miami at night. I'm not sure how well the view will be captured on the web cam, but it's breathtaking live, in person. Drop in for a ride or a view if you care to. www.sandbarhopper.com then double click on the "Helm Cam" button at the top of that website. We're planning to leave the dock at 7PM and motor over to downtown where will drop anchor to watch the parade. Who knows where we'll head afterwards - probably over to Bayside Marketplace to see the band "up close, and personal" from the backside as our bow hovers over the seawall and into the back of the band's stage.
With diesel fuel prices having dropped to $1.99/gallon, delivered, I've ordered a short tanker for delivery tomorrow morning. I'm going to fill everything I can at that price! Heck, I think I'll even fill the bathtub. LOL
Happy Holidays!

I am sure you will have a great view and will try to log in to get a glimps. I have never been in Miami for the Christmas parade but was there for a Superbowl ? or other bowl parade. It was, as I remember, a good time.
Regarding the fuel prices, I would due the same if I were in your boat (pun intended). We follow the market pretty close and it appears OPEX is doing all they can to stop the oil price decline including reducing production....now just a few months ago, wasn't the push to drill, drill, drill!!! What a difference a dollar makes!

Just found out...we're also going out tonight around 11PM on my captain's Hatteras and he'll have the "Hatt Cam" (we call the web cam the "Hatt Cam" because it's always on a Hatteras yacht) running on that one until tomorrow when the cam gets moved over here. Should be some nice views of downtown Miami lights as he makes his way to downtown Miami (he's located a couple miles south of downtown and I'm sort of right smack in it - on an island directly across from downtown with an awesome view of the city and the cruiseships at the Port of Miami), comes to pick me up and then we go over and pick up his girlfriend at the Rusty Pelican, Miami's landmark restaurant known for the incredible view of the City from every table. Heck, I get that view every day/night. LOL
I just have to say, and share...my captain, Pascal, is simply awesome! He can take his boat, or mine, and put the tips of the bows (that's called the "pulpit" on a boat) so close together and hold them there in current and wind, as if they are "kissing" and then hold it there for a while - long enough for a crowd to be able to over the railing of one and onto the other boat, without touching a thing - that's quite a task to do on something this size and only get within an inch of the other vessel, considering his driving location is about 20 feet back from what he's trying to get close to but not touch. Once I climb over, he backs off and off we go. He's the BEST! He can hover on a precise spot for over an hour. Damn, I hope to be that good one day....
Obviously, I don't have any onboard B&B guests for which I have to get up and serve breakfast. I do have a fuel appointment though. :D
So, if you're up late tonight...hop onboard! :)
One day soon...I'm going to have my own web cam that will run on Sanctuary 24/7, except for when we have guests onboard who ask us to turn it off because they don't want to be watched, i.e.celebrities or nude sunbathers. Most people love the Hatt Cam because it gives them a chance to share their vacation with friends and family in real time. When Pascal moves the other charteryacht, Charmer, back and forth between Miami (Winter) and Nantucket (Summer), he runs the Hatt Cam with him. On the trip up last May, I got to "ride along" as he pulled into New York City, cruising by the Statue of Liberty and into the little marina where the World Trade Center once stood. I really enjoyed that month-long trip he did via the Hatt Cam.

I am sure you will have a great view and will try to log in to get a glimps. I have never been in Miami for the Christmas parade but was there for a Superbowl ? or other bowl parade. It was, as I remember, a good time.
Regarding the fuel prices, I would due the same if I were in your boat (pun intended). We follow the market pretty close and it appears OPEX is doing all they can to stop the oil price decline including reducing production....now just a few months ago, wasn't the push to drill, drill, drill!!! What a difference a dollar makes!.
Copperhead said:
Regarding the fuel prices, I would due the same if I were in your boat (pun intended). We follow the market pretty close and it appears OPEX is doing all they can to stop the oil price decline including reducing production....now just a few months ago, wasn't the push to drill, drill, drill!!! What a difference a dollar makes!
I just love when the Super Bowl comes to Miami $$$$$$!!! 2010 is my year.
Two things I watch intensely....weather (mostly from August to the end of November - hurricanes and tropical storms scare the crap out of me) and the price of oil, which can be equally as frightening! Remember all the chanting at the Republican Convention, "DRILL, BABY, DRILL!!" Well, here, we're cheering, FILL, BABY, FILL nowadays with diesel delivered at $1.99/gallon (followed by "burn, baby, burn", I'm sure) LOL.
If I had known where the economy and fuel costs were heading when I was shopping for my diesel-guzzler, I would have bought a sailing catamaran, instead. Shhhhh....don't tell Sanctuary, 'cuz she'll get even with me! Back then, catamaran sailboats were reasonable or even somewhat cheap compared to the price of a motoryacht. Today...sailing cats are nearly a three quarters of a million dollars for a nice USED one. The price of a new one will make your eyes roll, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking at them.... If you bought one new in the late 90s or early 2000s, chances are if you sell her, you'll get all of your money back, and maybe then some.
Hindsight....oh well. Fuel is $1.99 for today. So, "today" we will enjoy the ride.

Sanctuary, I always read your posts in awe of the life you live. I can't imagine living the way you do! You are incredibly interesting...thanks for the glimpse into a totally different type of B&B life!!

Sanctuary, I always read your posts in awe of the life you live. I can't imagine living the way you do! You are incredibly interesting...thanks for the glimpse into a totally different type of B&B life!!.
Thanks. It's not as glamorous as it looks, though. It's a TON of work (way more than I ever imagined), often very physical work that involves getting into tight, dark, dirty places to reach something, and often working with nasty chemicals and acids, but it sure beats the pants off of shoveling snow and chopping firewood (to me, that is!).
Before Sanctuary, I used to have nicely manicured fingernails and toenails, a decent wardrobe, a great tan (not just on my nose and arms/shoulders like I do now), and time to enjoy things like snow skiing trips, shopping, concerts, etc.
Now, I'm lucky to have skin on my fingers - I can't work with gloves on and I deal with a lot of acids because I've found that acid cleans just about everything like the teak decks, engine parts, the insides of the air conditioner parts, etc., and all I do is work, work, work. But, it's a labor of love, and once in a while I get to go play like I did Saturday night. Heck, I got to take over the controls and drove the boat myself that night - and even backed her into the narrow slip afterwards, and then promptly assured my captain that I STILL NEED HIM!!!
But there is a lot of good, too...Yes, I do live in paradise most of the time, the view from the island I'm on east of the coastline of Miami is stunning, and every sunrise and sunset is simply beautiful. I usually stop once or twice a day to take in those kinds of things so that I never forget just how sweet it can be. Sometimes I get a visit by a pod of dolphins or a manatee family. The iguanas still scare the crap out of me! I don't think I'll ever find the beauty in those.

Sanctuary, I always read your posts in awe of the life you live. I can't imagine living the way you do! You are incredibly interesting...thanks for the glimpse into a totally different type of B&B life!!.
Thanks. It's not as glamorous as it looks, though. It's a TON of work (way more than I ever imagined), often very physical work that involves getting into tight, dark, dirty places to reach something, and often working with nasty chemicals and acids, but it sure beats the pants off of shoveling snow and chopping firewood (to me, that is!).
Before Sanctuary, I used to have nicely manicured fingernails and toenails, a decent wardrobe, a great tan (not just on my nose and arms/shoulders like I do now), and time to enjoy things like snow skiing trips, shopping, concerts, etc.
Now, I'm lucky to have skin on my fingers - I can't work with gloves on and I deal with a lot of acids because I've found that acid cleans just about everything like the teak decks, engine parts, the insides of the air conditioner parts, etc., and all I do is work, work, work. But, it's a labor of love, and once in a while I get to go play like I did Saturday night. Heck, I got to take over the controls and drove the boat myself that night - and even backed her into the narrow slip afterwards, and then promptly assured my captain that I STILL NEED HIM!!!
But there is a lot of good, too...Yes, I do live in paradise most of the time, the view from the island I'm on east of the coastline of Miami is stunning, and every sunrise and sunset is simply beautiful. I usually stop once or twice a day to take in those kinds of things so that I never forget just how sweet it can be. Sometimes I get a visit by a pod of dolphins or a manatee family. The iguanas still scare the crap out of me! I don't think I'll ever find the beauty in those.
How many hours a day is Jimmy Buffet playing on the sound system? :) (humming a few bars from Jolly Mon right now)

How many hours a day is Jimmy Buffet playing on the sound system? :) (humming a few bars from Jolly Mon right now)
swirt said:
I've never timed it, but OFTEN. Always at sunset. We have downloaded the entire 20-album career of Jimmy Buffet to the PC and IPOD, plus a few other "just pickin'" session he's done with some others. One of my favorites few people know is "Pony on my Boat". The other one that rings pretty close to true to life is "I Used to Have Money"...now I have a hole in the water where all the money bleeds out. LOL
NEXT OUTING: New Years Eve for the fireworks - same location right along the coastline of downtown Miami. It seems that a million boats and two million stupid boaters come out for that. Miami has the most stupid boaters in the world, by the way. So a crowded anchorage for watching the fireworks is always entertaining and sometimes nerve wracking.
This past July 4th, a raft up of small boats let go in a pop up thunderstorm (because FEW know how to anchor properly) right before the fireworks started and got all tangled up in my anchor chain as the whole mess came drifting into us, with idiots from raft up in the water thinking they could fend off from in the water and lots of little kids on those boats without life vests on. My captain was screaming at the nuts in the water to get out because they were about to be crushed between their boat and mine, and meanwhile I was yelling the mothers to get vests on those kids. I guess they didn't speak English because they did not heed our warnings. It was messy. What they faild to recognize is that when they get caught in my chain and unset my anchor, I have to start motoring to maintain my position or else I'll be drifting into someone else, and that's NOT going to happen! Anyway...I think I hear Jimmy on the stereo now. :D

Back