Hollandaise from scratch or from a packet?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
How do you make hollandaise sauce? If you make it from scratch, how do you keep it hot for 2 hours without cooking it solid?

I have made it both ways. Knorr's Hollandaise in a pinch. I used Julia Child's Mock Hollandaise (not as many eggs) and never had to hold it that long. For 2 seatings, I'd make 2 batches. It would be almost the last thing that I'd put together before guests were due down. I have a very low simmer burner on my gas stove and I would put the lid on the saucepan. You can add small butter pats to the top of the sauce, let it almost melt, and whisk it often. I never had a problem with lumps or scorching. Might have also added a bit of half & half if it was too thick from holding. I think the secret is whisking often.....

This is one of those things where the simple way (Knorr's packet) was just a good in taste as the from scratch method. So, I save a little bit of time here, and use the effort elsewhere. But the ONLY packet I will use is Knorr's. Tried others and they are not the same. No one has ever known the difference and they do comment on how good it was. We use is on Eggs Benedict at breakfast and on steamed broccoli at dinner. I keep it warm on my "warming" eye on the stove. I do strain it as I plate it just be darn certain there isn't a single lump in it.

I used packets if in a pinch before, but never again as I find all of them too salty and no flavor.
Making it from scratch is really not difficult once you get the hang of it - know your stove well as the temp is a key factor in good sauce.
I had a sous chef that trained in the same place as Emeril teach me how to make it to perfection.
1 stick of margarine (yes it works better than butter as it does not seperate as easily), 3 egg yolks, 1tea. of lemon juice (concentrate or fresh), hint of cayenne pepper - both last items to taste
Melt margarine in double boiler over very low heat (water must be just warm enough to melt the margarine add lemon juice then egg yolks and blend - I use a small had mixer (like those used for blending drinks) until a nice smooth sauce texture, add cayenne and pour over your eggs straight away!
It does take some practice to make it perfect but once you get the hang of it it will become second nature.
Note: If you use butter it will tend to seperate if the heat is not kept just so! If you leave the sauce in a pan where the heat (even from the water) is to hot, it will firm up too much to serve. If I need more than 1 batch, it is made seperately to be sure of consistancy.
I make eggs benedict only for small groups or when I have a set breakfast time.

It's really not that difficult to make Hollandaise. Like CH says, once you know your stove's temperature and get the simple mix of ingredients down, it's a snap. I don't use margarine, though. Only butter.
But even I have, shudder to think, used the Knorr packet in a pinch. I always keep a Knorr packet in my camping pack for just that purpose.
But Hollandaise can't be kept. That's really what makes it such a precious sause; it is fragile.
Just practice making it enough, though, and you'll find you don't need to keep it. Just make a new batch when you need it. It's really easy.

Sorry no scratch here. I have always used the knorr packets and have liked it. Even my most picky gourmet friend uses it too.

The sauce has to be held for 2 hours. Gomez is on full view in the kitchen and he won't make the sauce, the eggs, the bacon, the English muffins at the same time while being watched. So, sauce first, then the rest. Which is why it has to be held. We had a friend teach us how to do it and to hold it in a 'to go' coffee mug (stainless).
Was wondering if there were other ways and if the packaged stuff worked. So, given the responses, we'll probably go with the pkg'd stuff for the time being.
A stressed cook is not a good thing. Food ends up on the floor, serving wench ends up in tears.

There are lots of recipes out there for Blender Hollandaise, where you whir the egg yolks, vinegar, lemon juice, cayenne and salt in a blender. Then, with the blender running, slowly pour in hot melted butter. Keep it for up to an hour by holding the sauce -- still in the blender -- in a pot of warm water. Loosen by whirring in a spoonful of hot water if it thickens too much on standing.
My preference, though, is to hand whisk it in a double boiler.
One thing to consider with Hollandaise is the under-cooked egg yolks. While generally not a problem, it's not recommended to serve to pregnant women or those with a compromised immune system. That's where the packet might be a good idea.
You can always look up Mock Hollandaise recipes that use mayo instead. Mayo is an emulsion of egg and fat, so it's already half-way to being a Hollandaise.
If you'll be holding for two hours, I don't know if the packet sauces hold that well for that long. You might want to consider a different sauce entirely, one that's made to keep. There's this Dijon Sauce which is nice over eggs...
Whisk together 2 tablespoons each: Dijon mustard, prepared mayonaise, fresh lemon juice. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, chervil, dill or a blend). Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Make a day in advance (or at least a few hours) to allow the flavours to develop. Use chilled or at room temp.

Sorry no scratch here. I have always used the knorr packets and have liked it. Even my most picky gourmet friend uses it too..
We have been told by a chef that once it is done to remove it from the stove and keep it in a warm area. If you keep it on the heat it will cook. I wonder if it would keep for two hours in a hot pot?
It does not have to be HOT if the food is. When we made it I would just keep it aside from the heat and re stirr before putting it on the food. Occasionally I would have to add drops of hot water to "bring it back" before using. But I don't recall how long I had it sitting there. Maybe an hour.
RIki

The sauce has to be held for 2 hours. Gomez is on full view in the kitchen and he won't make the sauce, the eggs, the bacon, the English muffins at the same time while being watched. So, sauce first, then the rest. Which is why it has to be held. We had a friend teach us how to do it and to hold it in a 'to go' coffee mug (stainless).
Was wondering if there were other ways and if the packaged stuff worked. So, given the responses, we'll probably go with the pkg'd stuff for the time being.
A stressed cook is not a good thing. Food ends up on the floor, serving wench ends up in tears..
Maybe this is just not a recipe that should be attempted based on your physical kitchen setup and how you serve breakfast? There are lots of other egg recipes that can be glamorous out there that might be a better option than using some type of sauce that requires a lot of attention. Why stress yourselves out serving it?

A stressed cook is not a good thing. Food ends up on the floor, serving wench ends up in tears..
IF I make Hollandaise I use the "quick blender method" for the basic sauce and then do what I have to do to keep it looking and tasting great.
HOWEVER my primary reason for posting picks up on Morticia's post on Gomez being in full view.
I've somehow managed to convince most of my guests that I'm a Gourmet Chef. I AM NOT. If you're in my dining room and you hear loud, happy singing from the kitchen, that means something has gone really, really wrong. SO FAR I've always managed to bring everything together and make it work. DH (who NEVER cooks breakfast) wants an open kitchen, so my "appreciative guests" can see me in action. The very idea makes me sick to my stomach. I have a short corridor between the kitchen and the dining room that gives me just enough time to adjust my face from "OMG" to "This is going to be the best thing you've ever eaten at breakfast".
I am, in my own way, completely honest. When guests tell me they loved their breakfast, my response to them is "Oh Thank Goodness - I fooled another one".

IF I make Hollandaise I use the "quick blender method" for the basic sauce and then do what I have to do to keep it looking and tasting great.
HOWEVER my primary reason for posting picks up on Morticia's post on Gomez being in full view.
I've somehow managed to convince most of my guests that I'm a Gourmet Chef. I AM NOT. If you're in my dining room and you hear loud, happy singing from the kitchen, that means something has gone really, really wrong. SO FAR I've always managed to bring everything together and make it work. DH (who NEVER cooks breakfast) wants an open kitchen, so my "appreciative guests" can see me in action. The very idea makes me sick to my stomach. I have a short corridor between the kitchen and the dining room that gives me just enough time to adjust my face from "OMG" to "This is going to be the best thing you've ever eaten at breakfast".
I am, in my own way, completely honest. When guests tell me they loved their breakfast, my response to them is "Oh Thank Goodness - I fooled another one".
Oh, I need to practice that. My face shows it all! (sometimes my apron does too.)

Understanding your set up etc. is quite different from mine. I agree with you. You may want to give the 'hot pot' idea a try on a slow day. See if it works. And being the cook, I hate it when I am under pressure and will take it out on the nearest person - and that would be my DH aka waiter, busboy etc. I can't afford for him to quit. (lol)

Absolutely! That's why I posted that maybe Morticia & Gomez shouldn't try to stress themselves out over this. I have a magnet on my fridge with a Julia Child quote, "Remember you're all alone in the kitchen and no one can see you". Unfortunately, that's not the case with Gomez & Mort!

Hollandaise sauce was not meant to be held warm for hours and hours. Not everything works for a crowd in this business.

Hollandaise sauce was not meant to be held warm for hours and hours. Not everything works for a crowd in this business..
Yep, I agree....that's why I'd make 2 batches of the stuff when I rarely attempted to serve it for a full house. That herbed cheese scrambled eggs on croissants with bacon or ham was just soooooooooo yummy though!
tounge_smile.gif

Back