Holy Cow

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
Lovely lady finds us randomly - through information center. Stays two nights. Has flowers in the car wrapped in wet newspaper and asks if I can put them in water until she leaves.
As she's leaving I ask if she's remembered the flowers. She hasn't, so I go get them, re-wet the same newspaper and wrap them up, cone style, so there is one corner sticking up. As I'm walking to her car I notice the one corner showing has the address label with a name. It's the same name as my old Wall Street boss. Turns out she's his aunt.

How does this stuff happen to you?
I'm telling ya, there are people who draw people and you are one of them.

Random.....degrees of separation..
This stuff happens to me maybe once every couple of years. It happens to Gomez almost every day. Tipsy is the same way. Gomez was born in a teeny town in the middle of nowhere and guests will be chatting and mention their parents were born in that town, they got married in that town, they go to that town every year for vacation, they were stationed at the base near that town, smaller world still is that they stay at the lodge his friend owns.
This stuff has happened to him or around him all of his life.
He walked into a tiny motel one night, too tired to drive the last 3 hours home and the proprietor took one look at him and ran in the back to get the other owner. They both stood looking at him and finally asked if he knew 'Mr X Gomez?' It was Gomez's father they knew. His dad had been staying at that same motel on business for a few weeks on the day he died.
Gomez was with a Navy buddy in Italy and because the tram was broken they had to walk up a hill that had all these street vendors. His buddy stopped to look at some stuff for sale and the street vendor called him by name. Turns out the street vendor was a POW during WWII and Gomez's buddy's father was a prison guard in the FL POW camp. Father & son at the same age looked pretty much alike.
Not Gomez's story, but this stuff happens around him. Just not to me. It's why I think there are people who attract other people with some sort of connection.

This stuff happens to my DH and to my father too. But not me!
A few years ago my parents were visiting us for a few weeks. They live about 500 miles away. We had some guests from a big city up north and my dad got into a conversation with them since he had lived there in his younger days. Well, come to find out that guy and my dad had worked at the same well known theatre just not the same dates; my dad had quit within month or so before the other guy started. They talked about several people they both knew. Also about all the top stars they had met while working there.
DH has had many conversations that have lead back to his childhood in N.C. and somehow it usually rolls around to the same topic... their old piano tuner, who was unforgetable, he was a blind guy that was driven to each home in an old beat up green van. He must have had a healthy business back in those days.

Random.....degrees of separation..
This stuff happens to me maybe once every couple of years. It happens to Gomez almost every day. Tipsy is the same way. Gomez was born in a teeny town in the middle of nowhere and guests will be chatting and mention their parents were born in that town, they got married in that town, they go to that town every year for vacation, they were stationed at the base near that town, smaller world still is that they stay at the lodge his friend owns.
This stuff has happened to him or around him all of his life.
He walked into a tiny motel one night, too tired to drive the last 3 hours home and the proprietor took one look at him and ran in the back to get the other owner. They both stood looking at him and finally asked if he knew 'Mr X Gomez?' It was Gomez's father they knew. His dad had been staying at that same motel on business for a few weeks on the day he died.
Gomez was with a Navy buddy in Italy and because the tram was broken they had to walk up a hill that had all these street vendors. His buddy stopped to look at some stuff for sale and the street vendor called him by name. Turns out the street vendor was a POW during WWII and Gomez's buddy's father was a prison guard in the FL POW camp. Father & son at the same age looked pretty much alike.
Not Gomez's story, but this stuff happens around him. Just not to me. It's why I think there are people who attract other people with some sort of connection.
This kind of thing happens to my immediate family all the time.....
Just recently when I was in Dallas - As the country mouse, I asked my son to take me to a big mall to go to a couple of favorite stores, just 'cuz. (I'm not a big shopper but have to drive over 90 minutes one way to most of this stuff, some isn't even available in our big city so it was a little jaunt.) We went to a HUGE mall and I saw a woman with a L'Occitane bag, so I had to find the store. My son was pretty good about it, but by this time was ready to do something else but he agreed to press on. :) Anywho, we were walking to the store with all the Provence goodies when he glanced into a designer store and saw a young lady that he knew from high school through a National club. She was not from Dallas originally, and of course neither are we, but she's living and working there now. Turns out I know her mother who is also a nurse through some work colleagues which I previously did not know!
2nd Story - Still in Dallas, we are in a smallish taco place (yummy!) and waiting for our food. Another guy my son knows through a group in HS, appears in this place. This young man is also not from Dallas or where we lived and Texas is a BIG State, needless to say. And both of them have been away from TX and back.
3rd Story - My son's fiancee's mother went to the same university as I did, in the College across the street from the School of Nursing, and graduated the same year as myself. We didn't know each other, back in the day. Now, our children are engaged. Freaky!

Back