Home for 2 hours

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guests missing breakfast thread is timely. For the first time ever, on a recent weekend, we had guests who with no notice simply didn't show up for breakfast. We had 8 people total so that is plenty of food. Menu was posted as usual the day before, and four of the 8 were carryovers so had taken part in breakfast at our posted time...which we include in rez confirmations, on the menu board, and in our meet/greet/tours with every guest. Only ONE single solitary person showed up for breakfast, a new guest...and he seemed awkward trying to enjoy breakfast in a dining room set up for 8. He apologized that his wife would not be joining him for breakfast. Two of the couples although not related to each other were both in town for the same special event and had been at breakfast the day before. I don't mind a guest skipping breakfast (which has rarely happened in our 6 years) but it would really be helpful if we knew ahead of time. So we had lots of food ready, for ONE person! The next day, the no shows showed up with extra people from the special event, "Since we didn't have breakfast yesterday, we thought we could bring friends today to make up for it." The extras, non guests, were really happy to be here - they said the others had been telling them about our wonderful breakfasts. So we are adding the question, "Will you be joining us for breakfast each day you are here?"
We overcame any temptation to offer all the leftovers from the day before and the guests and their friends will never know that there was ever any issue with their noshows the day before. If it was a regular occurrence, we would probably handle it differently. One of the couples is a returning pair, so when and if they are guests again, we will remember and make certain to ask them each day! We were concerned that the one new guest to our bed and breakfast had such an awkward experience..
Holy cow! They had the nerve to bring EXTRA people in and expect that because you 'didn't have to cook' the day before it was ok?
I'm trying really hard not to just explode!
We never serve leftovers (unless it is the fruit course) so it would be a LOT of waste for us if all of those folks didn't show up.
And, yes, as many say, 'It's paid for, what do you care if they ate it or you threw it out.' I just can't throw out good food.
Even Gomez said yesterday, 'It's almost like I made a quiche!' It was a fabulous french toast, but cooked to order so he just put everything back in the fridge. But, berries do NOT stay fresh for days on end so those will more than likely be in the trash tomorrow.
I give you credit for being gracious. I keep thinking of what I read once somewhere...that a gracious hostess/host never lets the guest be embarrassed. (Altho, there are times...)
Hold on, I'm even more annoyed the longer I think about this! They assumed that they could bring extra people for FREE, didn't they? Because they didn't eat the day before, that meant you still had all of that food on hand or you ate it yourself so they were just 'getting their money's worth'.
Oh, yeah, I'm more annoyed now.
Exactly! And we didn't charge for the extra friends...actually our licensure limits breakfast food service to paying overnight guests. So they thought they were entitled to extra breakfasts. The friends LOVED it!!!!! A lesson learned, for sure! And, yes, we wasted lots of food that day! There are only two of us and there was one employee helping that day. No way we could consume all we had prepared, plus our personal breakfasts are usually quite small. I think some guests merely see us like they do hotels and I try to remember that to protect my own sanity.
Morticia, on another totally unrelated subject, since you sew: You might like the way I make dust ruffles if you are not already doing it. I find that most commercially made dust ruffles are simply not acceptable...either too skimpy with yardage or fit poorly or hike up where they need to be down. I mount tiny brass rods (3 each bed, 2 sides and foot) on the inside of the wood bed rails. I make simple ruffles with deep hems and a rod pocket at top (like a valance). I usually use fabric widths at least twice the length of the distance to be covered for the sides and the foot, which makes for a generous ruffle that hangs well. Since each bed has three separate ruffles, each of which are long straight pieces, washing and ironing is a piece of cake! Oh, if I don't have extra sheets from which to make the ruffles in order to match to linens, I just choose a coordinating decorator fabric that helps to tie things together. Decorator fabrics hang wonderfully.

The guests missing breakfast thread is timely. For the first time ever, on a recent weekend, we had guests who with no notice simply didn't show up for breakfast. We had 8 people total so that is plenty of food. Menu was posted as usual the day before, and four of the 8 were carryovers so had taken part in breakfast at our posted time...which we include in rez confirmations, on the menu board, and in our meet/greet/tours with every guest. Only ONE single solitary person showed up for breakfast, a new guest...and he seemed awkward trying to enjoy breakfast in a dining room set up for 8. He apologized that his wife would not be joining him for breakfast. Two of the couples although not related to each other were both in town for the same special event and had been at breakfast the day before. I don't mind a guest skipping breakfast (which has rarely happened in our 6 years) but it would really be helpful if we knew ahead of time. So we had lots of food ready, for ONE person! The next day, the no shows showed up with extra people from the special event, "Since we didn't have breakfast yesterday, we thought we could bring friends today to make up for it." The extras, non guests, were really happy to be here - they said the others had been telling them about our wonderful breakfasts. So we are adding the question, "Will you be joining us for breakfast each day you are here?"
We overcame any temptation to offer all the leftovers from the day before and the guests and their friends will never know that there was ever any issue with their noshows the day before. If it was a regular occurrence, we would probably handle it differently. One of the couples is a returning pair, so when and if they are guests again, we will remember and make certain to ask them each day! We were concerned that the one new guest to our bed and breakfast had such an awkward experience..
I hope you sent the "EXTRAS" away. Saying that we are not allowed to serve breakfast to anyone other than our own guests. The nerve of them!!! GRRRRRR!

We had an open breakfast time range each morning with a little bit later start/end on the weekends. We had business guests during the week and other folks here attending special functions so we started breakfast early. During the check-in and settling in process, they committed to their breakfast time for their first morning and were told that after that they would have a breakfast sign-up slip on their door left at freshening their room to return to me by a certain time each evening. This worked extremely well for me. It naturally fell into place and I had the info the night before to prep and prepare which was essential since I was on my own most of the time.
With a full-house of 15 guests, I had them sign up for an early or late seating, first come first serve. I think that there might have been a couple of times where I had to ask someone to shift their time a bit. With the two seatings, people could come down and get coffee early and biscotti or sometimes their baked goods and enjoy that in the living room or porch or take it back to their room. Most of the time I only had to do 2 seatings on the weekends because people tended to sleep in later. The rest of the time, we seemed to not max out the table. (One dining room table which could seat 8 max comfortably, I think. It will seat more but I didn't go there.)
We also offered room service for $10/for two which was popular and helped ease the breakfast table congestion. We also offered to-go breakfast for early departures. (It's over 90 minutes to our bigger metro airport.)
In two years, I can honestly say that we only had a couple of no-shows for breakfast.
If anyone is interested in our breakfast sign-up note, you can email me and I'm happy to send it to you so you can modify it for your own use. :)

I would have had Gomez handle it and slept in. I used to handle the whole she-bang at breakfast for 5 rooms by myself all the time. :)
I hope you can catch up on your rest. It's hard to though when you get behind. :-(.
Gomez has been on his own for 3 days, the guilt was catching up with me...
Plus, I didn't know they were skipping until I was already up. And, of course, we both forgot to ask the new arrivals today if they were having breakfast. Plus, the guests who have been here a few days, we never see them to even ask.
Oh, yeah....guilt isn't good. ;-)

I hope you sent the "EXTRAS" away. Saying that we are not allowed to serve breakfast to anyone other than our own guests. The nerve of them!!! GRRRRRR!
We served the extras. Luckily we had enough ingredients to quickly make more of most everything.

We served the extras. Luckily we had enough ingredients to quickly make more of most everything.
So did you charge them extra for the extra meals? If not...you should have. Here in VA, our health dept rule is: Breakfast ONLY FOR GUESTS. Otherwise they make you go for the commercial license.

Good grief! We NEVER had people just show up with someone extra! That's cheeky.
We often had guests ask if they could have a family member join them and they'd be willing to pay for them to eat, but our license also limits brekkie to registered guests since it's complimentary. I would just tell them that we'd consider their family member/friend a guest and we'd work out what time they'd be here for breakfast so that I could plan the seating.
Sometimes our guests would ask if it would be OK to leave us a tip then. I'd say, "That's totally up to you!" Most of the time we'd get a generous tip from folks who brought someone to breakfast.
A lot of our guests were folks here for events for active duty military. They wanted to spend as much time with their family member as possible.

Holy cow! They had the nerve to bring EXTRA people in and expect that because you 'didn't have to cook' the day before it was ok?
We never serve leftovers (unless it is the fruit course) so it would be a LOT of waste for us if all of those folks didn't show up.
And, yes, as many say, 'It's paid for, what do you care if they ate it or you threw it out.' I just can't throw out good food.
Even Gomez said yesterday, 'It's almost like I made a quiche!' It was a fabulous french toast, but cooked to order so he just put everything back in the fridge. But, berries do NOT stay fresh for days on end so those will more than likely be in the trash tomorrow.
I give you credit for being gracious. I keep thinking of what I read once somewhere...that a gracious hostess/host never lets the guest be embarrassed. (Altho, there are times...)
Hold on, I'm even more annoyed the longer I think about this! They assumed that they could bring extra people for FREE, didn't they? Because they didn't eat the day before, that meant you still had all of that food on hand or you ate it yourself so they were just 'getting their money's worth'.
Exactly! And we didn't charge for the extra friends...actually our licensure limits breakfast food service to paying overnight guests. So they thought they were entitled to extra breakfasts. The friends LOVED it!!!!! A lesson learned, for sure! And, yes, we wasted lots of food that day! There are only two of us and there was one employee helping that day. No way we could consume all we had prepared, plus our personal breakfasts are usually quite small. I think some guests merely see us like they do hotels and I try to remember that to protect my own sanity.
Morticia, on another totally unrelated subject, since you sew: You might like the way I make dust ruffles if you are not already doing it. I find that most commercially made dust ruffles are simply not acceptable...either too skimpy with yardage or fit poorly or hike up where they need to be down. I mount tiny brass rods (3 each bed, 2 sides and foot) on the inside of the wood bed rails. I make simple ruffles with deep hems and a rod pocket at top (like a valance). I usually use fabric widths at least twice the length of the distance to be covered for the sides and the foot, which makes for a generous ruffle that hangs well. Since each bed has three separate ruffles, each of which are long straight pieces, washing and ironing is a piece of cake! Oh, if I don't have extra sheets from which to make the ruffles in order to match to linens, I just choose a coordinating decorator fabric that helps to tie things together. Decorator fabrics hang wonderfully.
What do you cover the boxspring with? I've often considered making my own bedskirts. I tried pillow shams and I really don't like them.

Mountain Inn....that's a cool idea for the bedskirts. I wish I had known that before. I have a really high 4 poster in our second house and just didn't want to take the time to figure out how to do a "traditional" bedskirt. I could handle your idea though. Much easier! I guess you could just encase the boxspring in a mattress cover that's fabric. Great idea!!

I had a bit of a grr this morning as we don't start serving till 8 on weekends and serve till 10 to give people a lie in. So My mum who had come to help as we are mad busy and me were sitting down for a cup of tea at 7.30 before it all kicked off and people started knocking on the door to be let in. Went up to say sorry not till 8 when one lady begged me as she had to be out early to a meeting and another chap followed her. She then proceeded to diddle about till 8.30! was really angry! could easily have had breakfast in 30 mins and everywhere wasn't ready as we had 30 mins to go and it starts my day all wrong!

I had a bit of a grr this morning as we don't start serving till 8 on weekends and serve till 10 to give people a lie in. So My mum who had come to help as we are mad busy and me were sitting down for a cup of tea at 7.30 before it all kicked off and people started knocking on the door to be let in. Went up to say sorry not till 8 when one lady begged me as she had to be out early to a meeting and another chap followed her. She then proceeded to diddle about till 8.30! was really angry! could easily have had breakfast in 30 mins and everywhere wasn't ready as we had 30 mins to go and it starts my day all wrong!.
Don't mess with Cambs when she's having her cuppa!!
regular_smile.gif
I hear you on that one....you have everything set and you're just taking a moment for a yourself. Best laid plans.... I hope you catch a break later in your day.

Mountain Inn....that's a cool idea for the bedskirts. I wish I had known that before. I have a really high 4 poster in our second house and just didn't want to take the time to figure out how to do a "traditional" bedskirt. I could handle your idea though. Much easier! I guess you could just encase the boxspring in a mattress cover that's fabric. Great idea!!
Oops, I guess I did leave out how to cover the box spring! I use fitted sheets to cover the box springs. I match colors and fabrics as closely as possible. I have found guests down on their knees looking under the beds with the flashlights provided in the bedside table drawers, to see how the dust ruffles are put on!
Anyone who has ever endured the hassle of ironing the usual dustruffles will totally appreciate the long straight pieces of the ones I make!!!

What do you cover the boxspring with? I've often considered making my own bedskirts. I tried pillow shams and I really don't like them.
Oops, I guess I did leave out how to cover the box spring! I use fitted sheets to cover the box springs. I match colors and fabrics as closely as possible. I have found guests down on their knees looking under the beds with the flashlights provided in the bedside table drawers, to see how the dust ruffles are put on!
Anyone who has ever endured the hassle of ironing the usual dustruffles will totally appreciate the long straight pieces of the ones I make!!!

So did you charge them extra for the extra meals? If not...you should have. Here in VA, our health dept rule is: Breakfast ONLY FOR GUESTS. Otherwise they make you go for the commercial license.
No, we didn't charge them for the extras. We pulled it all off very smoothly and the registered guests and their guests enjoyed themselves immensely.

No, we didn't charge them for the extras. We pulled it all off very smoothly and the registered guests and their guests enjoyed themselves immensely.
Well I hope you have learned something...NExt time..if there is one..you should charge them That cost you extra time, effort and supplies. I guess your state regs allow you to serve non guests?????

Well I hope you have learned something...NExt time..if there is one..you should charge them That cost you extra time, effort and supplies. I guess your state regs allow you to serve non guests?????
And are the Regulations Police on duty every day at every inn? I would not make it a regular thing and definitely would NOT take someone who knocked on my door asking to be served breakfast. But if I have Univer parents here, I am definitely going to tell them if their kid wants to join them for breakfast the last morning just let me know so I can set an extra plate.

And are the Regulations Police on duty every day at every inn? I would not make it a regular thing and definitely would NOT take someone who knocked on my door asking to be served breakfast. But if I have Univer parents here, I am definitely going to tell them if their kid wants to join them for breakfast the last morning just let me know so I can set an extra plate.
That is an entirely different situation. These people just invited friends to come along for breakfast without any notice to the innkeeper. Totally different.

That is an entirely different situation. These people just invited friends to come along for breakfast without any notice to the innkeeper. Totally different.
catlady said:
The comment was directed entirely to the question of regulations regarding serving breakfasts in the State. The comment had nothing to do with her situation.

Back