Home Sweet Inn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How exciting for you both. Sounds like you have the passion. That is what good innkeepers have. We all have it here.
You will learn so much here. Seems like anything I need to know I find here. If I don't see it I just ask and we have a good mix to help..
We had a showing on our house today. This is the first week since we put it on the market that we haven't had at least 3 showings. Folks who looked last week have standing instructions to "let them know" if another looker signs a contract so they can too.......is that like a virtual contract or just a wussey contract
rolleyes.gif
That right couple is going to come along any day now!
rrh said:
We had a showing on our house today. This is the first week since we put it on the market that we haven't had at least 3 showings. Folks who looked last week have standing instructions to "let them know" if another looker signs a contract so they can too.......is that like a virtual contract or just a wussey contract
rolleyes.gif
That right couple is going to come along any day now!
Jeez Louise. They only want it if someone else wants it first? Hopefully you get a buyer soon! When we were looking, another couple we did not yet know were looking at the same time. We both looked at the same 2 properties. They put in a bid on one place, we bid on the other! Our house sold in 12 hours and we were innkeeping 12 weeks later. Their house took another 4 months to sell. We're good friends. It'll come together.

Our commercial loan has been approved, we have accounts set up and licenses applied for, an insurance agency on board but getting some other quotes, talked to another accountant who likes the deal, are off to the Aspiring Innkeepers/B&B Association convention this weekend, just need that buyer for our house. Thought we had a buyer last week after her fourth showing but no - decided to wait....for what??? Two showings this week so far.
r

Our commercial loan has been approved, we have accounts set up and licenses applied for, an insurance agency on board but getting some other quotes, talked to another accountant who likes the deal, are off to the Aspiring Innkeepers/B&B Association convention this weekend, just need that buyer for our house. Thought we had a buyer last week after her fourth showing but no - decided to wait....for what??? Two showings this week so far.
r.
Good wishes being sent your way!

Tomorrow night we are attending the economic council fund raiser so we can meet our new (hopefully) business neighbors and we are going to let them know who we are, so although not officially public, here is a pic of the front
regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
OMG! That place was on my "short list"! (I've entered into the information-gathering, due-diligence phase on another property, though.)
Beautiful property, and definitely something to be excited about.
IronGate said:
OMG! That place was on my "short list"! (I've entered into the information-gathering, due-diligence phase on another property, though.)
It's a great property, and thanks to all for the compliments
regular_smile.gif

IronGate, are you still looking in CO?
r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
It depends on what happens with the property I am looking at now, which is "back east". Being in CO, especially the area where you are, makes tremendous sense since my rooms will all be inspired by my great-grandparents, all of whom lived near where you are setting up shop.
Wow, do I know you? My great-grandparents homesteaded about 70 miles to the east on the plains! I have a bunch of stuff from the family farm that will be used to decorate if we can make this happen! I have lived in site of Pikes Peak my whole life! DW has a bunch of her family heirlooms from MI we will use as well.
I think it's safe to say that this is the Avenue Inn, Manitou Springs, Colorado. Man it feels good to come out and say that. We have been lurking in Manitou for weeks, eating at all the restaurants, going in all the shops, they had an art walk last weekend we checked out but we could never say who we were! DW bought a new evening dress and shoes today for the big economic council Taste of Manitou fund raiser tomorrow night where we get to announce who we are. This is exciting! There is a showing of our house tomorrow morning - please buy!!!
r
Two of my great-grandparents homesteaded and farmed near Calhan. They retired and moved to the Springs after all their children had gone off on their own adventures. Their "city" house is now a store of some kind. The other ancestors made their way to the Springs from Indiana and South Carolina -- some for the adventure of the "wild west" and some because of the health benefits.
Our homestead was 30 miles south of Yoder, 17 miles north of Boone. Pueblo was closer than the Springs so they drifted that way while I was drawn to the Springs. Our families came from Kentucky ( farmers) and St Louis, MO (street car conductor). Guess who fared better in the "wilderness".....I have a couple of awesome conductor's watches
teeth_smile.gif

Not to butt in here, however...
regular_smile.gif

My daughter and her new husband live and work in Pueblo, and we have a time-share up in Breckenridge.
Welcom to the forum! DW and I just opened our place in July and believe me, there is so much to learn from everyone here on the forum. They are kind, considerate and sharing people.
Good luck with the sale of your home!

Here is hoping for a quick sale and closing - at your price!

Tomorrow night we are attending the economic council fund raiser so we can meet our new (hopefully) business neighbors and we are going to let them know who we are, so although not officially public, here is a pic of the front
regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
It depends on what happens with the property I am looking at now, which is "back east". Being in CO, especially the area where you are, makes tremendous sense since my rooms will all be inspired by my great-grandparents, all of whom lived near where you are setting up shop.
Wow, do I know you? My great-grandparents homesteaded about 70 miles to the east on the plains! I have a bunch of stuff from the family farm that will be used to decorate if we can make this happen! I have lived in site of Pikes Peak my whole life! DW has a bunch of her family heirlooms from MI we will use as well.
I think it's safe to say that this is the Avenue Inn, Manitou Springs, Colorado. Man it feels good to come out and say that. We have been lurking in Manitou for weeks, eating at all the restaurants, going in all the shops, they had an art walk last weekend we checked out but we could never say who we were! DW bought a new evening dress and shoes today for the big economic council Taste of Manitou fund raiser tomorrow night where we get to announce who we are. This is exciting! There is a showing of our house tomorrow morning - please buy!!!
r
Two of my great-grandparents homesteaded and farmed near Calhan. They retired and moved to the Springs after all their children had gone off on their own adventures. Their "city" house is now a store of some kind. The other ancestors made their way to the Springs from Indiana and South Carolina -- some for the adventure of the "wild west" and some because of the health benefits.
Our homestead was 30 miles south of Yoder, 17 miles north of Boone. Pueblo was closer than the Springs so they drifted that way while I was drawn to the Springs. Our families came from Kentucky ( farmers) and St Louis, MO (street car conductor). Guess who fared better in the "wilderness".....I have a couple of awesome conductor's watches
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

My daughter and her new husband live and work in Pueblo, and we have a time-share up in Breckenridge.
Welcom to the forum! DW and I just opened our place in July and believe me, there is so much to learn from everyone here on the forum. They are kind, considerate and sharing people.
Thanks. I spent a lot of time in Pueblo in my younger years and have carved a turn or two up at Breck
regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Redbirds, big snow in Breck this past weekend. Everyone is excited, and they open tomorrow on "real" snow. Breck is my favorite.
Where is your place? Email me offline if you'd prefer to not reveal it here.

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Thanks. I spent a lot of time in Pueblo in my younger years and have carved a turn or two up at Breck
regular_smile.gif

In a prior life, I worked with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to put a really bad doctor away in Pueblo :-(
Have skiied most of the Colorado slopes when I was younger too. I liked Breckenridge when it was just a cool mountain town with a ski slope. :)

WELCOME!
You'll find a wealth of wisdom on this site. I sure have. everyone is so helpful here. I'm a newbie so to speak.. welcomed our first guest in May! October we had 34 guests! Whew!

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Redbirds, big snow in Breck this past weekend. Everyone is excited, and they open tomorrow on "real" snow. Breck is my favorite.
Where is your place? Email me offline if you'd prefer to not reveal it here.
IronGate -
I sent you an email just now revealing the whereabouts of my getaway!

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Redbirds said:
They are kind, considerate and sharing people.
Mostly. Some of us a a devilish streak though.
devil_smile.gif
But it's all in fun.
angel_smile.gif

As the rear-end of this horse costume, I can attest that my wife does the lion's share of the actual B&B operations. That being said, I am the resident grounds keeper, greeter, fix-it man, bathroom scrubber, bookkeeper and coffee server. Unless you can afford hired help, you WILL have to help to make it a successful business.

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Redbirds said:
devil_smile.gif
But it's all in fun.
angel_smile.gif

As the rear-end of this horse costume, I can attest that my wife does the lion's share of the actual B&B operations. That being said, I am the resident grounds keeper, greeter, fix-it man, bathroom scrubber, bookkeeper and coffee server. Unless you can afford hired help, you WILL have to help to make it a successful business.
Proud Texan said:
Two mornings in a row dh was not here... his day job made him work this weekend! Argh!! And all he does is make the coffee, so piece of cake, right? Wrong! It was AWFUL! I was MISERABLE! He makes the coffee... and pours drinks, helps set table, herds kids, takes food out, chats up guests, and whatever other thing I need.
Yesterday I'm trying to make my Egg Blossoms (phyllo dough... work fast) and my TB (Talcum Bombers) call me from their cell phone to say they needed a bandaid and talcum powder. (Oh no! Now it's my talcum powder they're bombing me with!) Sent a boy up with a Spiderman bandaid and directions to go get the baby powder. "Why does he need it?" "I don't know, just get it for him, would you?" Well, one bandaid was not enough, so a trip to the basement to get the box. Then they needed scissors. Meanwhile TB bachelor son comes down and is chatty. I manage to convince him that people may be sleeping and to go away. Father didn't sleep well as he forgot the power cord for his breathing machine and is stressed about getting a replacement. Son insists they just need to go to Radio Shack, so where's the phone book? Where IS the phone book? Downstairs (both copies). Why isn't the phone working? By the second breakfast sitting they were on their way... except they needed tape for his handicap rearview mirror hanger. And where was dh? At work!
Then this morning I'm all set for breakfast... no, I need one key ingredient (spinach). If dh was here, pop in the car, run down the street, we'd still be on time. No dh. Both boys up, more or less dressed (Spiderman jammies is dressed enough at this point), shoes, jackets... car won't start and needs a jump. TB Father (son doesn't drive) is willing to let me drive, but I'm not listed on the rental agreement... Finally solved the problem by checking with the other guests about a delayed breakfast (fine) and using his van to jump my car (worked fine) and hauling the boys to the store with me where I bought a HUGE amount of spinach (might as well stock up...).
In the end, all was fine, but I sure missed having dh here. I do OK with a lot of stress, but I need him here to keep me from going too far past my comfort level. What seems like not much help is absolutely HUGE and precious.
=)
Kk.

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Redbirds said:
devil_smile.gif
But it's all in fun.
angel_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Two mornings in a row dh was not here... his day job made him work this weekend! Argh!! And all he does is make the coffee, so piece of cake, right? Wrong! It was AWFUL! I was MISERABLE! He makes the coffee... and pours drinks, helps set table, herds kids, takes food out, chats up guests, and whatever other thing I need.
Yesterday I'm trying to make my Egg Blossoms (phyllo dough... work fast) and my TB (Talcum Bombers) call me from their cell phone to say they needed a bandaid and talcum powder. (Oh no! Now it's my talcum powder they're bombing me with!) Sent a boy up with a Spiderman bandaid and directions to go get the baby powder. "Why does he need it?" "I don't know, just get it for him, would you?" Well, one bandaid was not enough, so a trip to the basement to get the box. Then they needed scissors. Meanwhile TB bachelor son comes down and is chatty. I manage to convince him that people may be sleeping and to go away. Father didn't sleep well as he forgot the power cord for his breathing machine and is stressed about getting a replacement. Son insists they just need to go to Radio Shack, so where's the phone book? Where IS the phone book? Downstairs (both copies). Why isn't the phone working? By the second breakfast sitting they were on their way... except they needed tape for his handicap rearview mirror hanger. And where was dh? At work!
Then this morning I'm all set for breakfast... no, I need one key ingredient (spinach). If dh was here, pop in the car, run down the street, we'd still be on time. No dh. Both boys up, more or less dressed (Spiderman jammies is dressed enough at this point), shoes, jackets... car won't start and needs a jump. TB Father (son doesn't drive) is willing to let me drive, but I'm not listed on the rental agreement... Finally solved the problem by checking with the other guests about a delayed breakfast (fine) and using his van to jump my car (worked fine) and hauling the boys to the store with me where I bought a HUGE amount of spinach (might as well stock up...).
In the end, all was fine, but I sure missed having dh here. I do OK with a lot of stress, but I need him here to keep me from going too far past my comfort level. What seems like not much help is absolutely HUGE and precious.
=)
Kk.
That's why I stick to easy recipes (FT) when hubs is out of town! And ALWAYS check the kitchen for supplies the night before (as we shop everyday that's a given anyway).

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Redbirds said:
devil_smile.gif
But it's all in fun.
angel_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Yeah try serving a full house with kids getting ready for school. Getting their cereal, making lunch, chores. Now there is a fun morning. That is basically my entire month of October - we get guests throughout the week. It is a real struggle.
Then to have someone call during berakfast or making breakfast (I have to answer in case it is for guests) and want to come and see the rooms - the fairies! That is what we have here - cleaning fairies. When guests check out at 11am I am still cleaning up breakfast! I have not stripped a room or even turns off the gazillion lights and fans they have left running upstairs. The dog is about 10 lbs heavier as I haven't let her out.
DH will make sure the first run of coffee is done and out there before he leaves, but with a full house it is ongoing coffee making.
I am happy to be in November and survived it.

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Redbirds said:
devil_smile.gif
But it's all in fun.
angel_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
That's why I stick to easy recipes (FT) when hubs is out of town! And ALWAYS check the kitchen for supplies the night before (as we shop everyday that's a given anyway).
Bree said:
When we visited an inn-mate and her hubby calls on his way home from work to see if she needed him to stop for anything my mouth dropped. Even tho, apparently the brand or item will not be the specific one she asks for. My dh has never been one to do that, ever. I go late at night for items at the grocery store. I need to remind him of this. In 20 years he has gone to get milk or eggs like maybe three times!
If he even goes to the store for something he needs - he is unwilling to grab a dozen eggs or milk. He is really bad about that.

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Redbirds said:
devil_smile.gif
But it's all in fun.
angel_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Yeah try serving a full house with kids getting ready for school. Getting their cereal, making lunch, chores. Now there is a fun morning. That is basically my entire month of October - we get guests throughout the week. It is a real struggle.
Then to have someone call during berakfast or making breakfast (I have to answer in case it is for guests) and want to come and see the rooms - the fairies! That is what we have here - cleaning fairies. When guests check out at 11am I am still cleaning up breakfast! I have not stripped a room or even turns off the gazillion lights and fans they have left running upstairs. The dog is about 10 lbs heavier as I haven't let her out.
DH will make sure the first run of coffee is done and out there before he leaves, but with a full house it is ongoing coffee making.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
When guests check out at 11am I am still cleaning up breakfast! I have not stripped a room or even turns off the gazillion lights and fans they have left running upstairs.
Yes, Saturday I finished cleaning the kitchen around 3... then still needed to go grocery shopping. Never did make cookies. Oh well.
=)
Kk.

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Redbirds said:
devil_smile.gif
But it's all in fun.
angel_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Yes we survived October as well. We didn't have so many guests during the week, but had wine tours every weekend with guests (some touring with us, some not) and guests every weekend.
This weekend we have tours but no guests yet - may have our second weekend off this year! But we get alot of last minute bookings these days. This past weekend was booked but I was getting calls all week up to Saturday asking for a room.
Do any of you in destination areas drop the two night minimum after Thanksgiving? I hate to do so since we don't have help and so can't always change the rooms on Saturday before leaving for a wine tour.
Riki

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Redbirds said:
devil_smile.gif
But it's all in fun.
angel_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Yes we survived October as well. We didn't have so many guests during the week, but had wine tours every weekend with guests (some touring with us, some not) and guests every weekend.
This weekend we have tours but no guests yet - may have our second weekend off this year! But we get alot of last minute bookings these days. This past weekend was booked but I was getting calls all week up to Saturday asking for a room.
Do any of you in destination areas drop the two night minimum after Thanksgiving? I hate to do so since we don't have help and so can't always change the rooms on Saturday before leaving for a wine tour.
Riki
In your destination location...I would NOT drop my 2 night weekend minimum. However if you get to Friday and someone calls you and you have the room you may consider taking a one nighter..but I would not change my policies for this. Play it by ear.

regular_smile.gif

front%202.1.jpg
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
rrh said:
IronGate said:
regular_smile.gif

r
r
teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Redbirds said:
devil_smile.gif
But it's all in fun.
angel_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Riki
In your destination location...I would NOT drop my 2 night weekend minimum. However if you get to Friday and someone calls you and you have the room you may consider taking a one nighter..but I would not change my policies for this. Play it by ear.
That's what I thought. I don't think the others drop it but I'm not sure about January..I do plan to take one nighters if I don't have any bookings by Thursday, especially if they keep calling during the week. But we could use a weekend off to do some checking on the new microbrewery which should be opening soon. That gives us a microbrewery tour now as well as the wine tours!
Chris just has an aversion to anyone checking in on a Saturday when we are not back yet from wine tours. But I have a new lady who is interested in inn sitting for that. I pay a minimum of three hours whether they are there the whole time or not and they answer the phone and check in guests while we are out touring.
RIki

Back