Homemade Pop Tarts…on the Panini Grill

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Homemade Pop Tarts…on the Panini Grill[/h1]
I can see you magnificant innkeepers doing something inncredible with this. Do you own a panini grill? I think I might need to get one! I am a fan of CRISP so this might be right up my alley...with some, of course, neat plating...

Tomorrow we are planning on making those cinnamon swirl pancakes that are making the B&B rounds this week. If I remember to take pix I'll post them.

I almost got a brand new never used one at a yard sale, but hubby said we don't need another small appliance! He's right. I remember either the food network or the cooking channel did something like this recently...nutella was involved :) Yum yum....mine is high up on a shelf for lent :-(

I wonder if they would work on a hot clamshell grill? hmmmmm......
Samster said:
I wonder if they would work on a hot clamshell grill? hmmmmm.....
OK, I know what you mean, but all I could fathom for a minute was an actual clam shell, smoking hot.
hahahaha....that made me laugh, Maddy!
teeth_smile.gif

I've made pannini-like sandwiches on my clamshell grill which is why I wondered how those might turn out. They're not quite the same but not bad.

Won't you have to change your web page if you make these, Joey?

Won't you have to change your web page if you make these, Joey?.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Yeah. I am not planning on making them but I think I would like to EAT them!
Why? See here goes a story flash back...years ago on Catalina Island off the coast from Longbeach CALF), there was a little bakery. Catalina was a huge draw during the B&W movie era, and from then on everyone loved Catalina! My grandfather was even stationed there during the merchant marines. The ferry brought you over, there was great fishing, food and entertainment...I digress. Picture me standing in line with half the island visitors/occupants at 5am in the morning, in the dark, as the fresh hand picked berry donuts/popovers came out. To this day, I can taste those pastries! They were amazing and worth standing in line with people in bathrobes and curlers down the street (those days people used curlers). So THESE were reminiscent of those to me...
(PS and my siggie line on my emails too, oh wait and a tshirt I put that on too...see how it is!)
wink_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Why? See here goes a story flash back...years ago on Catalina Island off the coast from Longbeach CALF), there was a little bakery. Catalina was a huge draw during the B&W movie era, and from then on everyone loved Catalina! My grandfather was even stationed there during the merchant marines. The ferry brought you over, there was great fishing, food and entertainment...I digress. Picture me standing in line with half the island visitors/occupants at 5am in the morning, in the dark, as the fresh hand picked berry donuts/popovers came out. To this day, I can taste those pastries! They were amazing and worth standing in line with people in bathrobes and curlers down the street (those days people used curlers). So THESE were reminiscent of those to me...
(PS and my siggie line on my emails too, oh wait and a tshirt I put that on too...see how it is!)
wink_smile.gif

There is a local chef who just published a book with recipes and he has a recipe for "Epopees Tartes". He's famous for not ever making anything "light" to eat. And the recipe resembles... well, you know. Anyway, he makes a standard dough (though I was surprised he used butter instead of duck fat) but inside it's 35% cream, maple syrup, glucose and agar-agar. The topping is egg whites and maple syrup. And then the sugar on top is coloured maple sugar pellets. (The book is about maple sugaring off, so all the recipes are maple).
Same chef also has a recipe in the book for squirrel sushi. (Warning! Animal lovers, don't click on that link!)

Eric Arthur Blair said:
wink_smile.gif

There is a local chef who just published a book with recipes and he has a recipe for "Epopees Tartes". He's famous for not ever making anything "light" to eat. And the recipe resembles... well, you know. Anyway, he makes a standard dough (though I was surprised he used butter instead of duck fat) but inside it's 35% cream, maple syrup, glucose and agar-agar. The topping is egg whites and maple syrup. And then the sugar on top is coloured maple sugar pellets. (The book is about maple sugaring off, so all the recipes are maple).
Same chef also has a recipe in the book for squirrel sushi. (Warning! Animal lovers, don't click on that link!)
We currently have a squirrel raiding our feeders like crazy...jumped 4 feet into the air to get to the suet feeder and totally embarrassed DH who had worked 1/2 hour to rig up something "squirrel proof" .
angry_smile.gif

I wonder if I could volunteer that little fellow for this recipe?
wow.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
wink_smile.gif

We currently have a squirrel raiding our feeders like crazy...jumped 4 feet into the air to get to the suet feeder and totally embarrassed DH who had worked 1/2 hour to rig up something "squirrel proof" .
angry_smile.gif

wow.gif

The whole neighbourhood has squirrel problems around here. My guests from France are all enamoured by them. We all dispise them. It's illegal to feed them, and yet, people do. Squirrels... rats with good PR.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
wink_smile.gif

angry_smile.gif

wow.gif

Silverspoon said:
angry_smile.gif

wow.gif
if you follow us on FB you would have seen this last week:
lrg_Unregistered%20Guests_Claiborne%20House%20Blog.jpg

Eric Arthur Blair said:
wink_smile.gif

Years ago we were at a muzzleloader shoot. One of the men had brought a pot of stew. Daughter Sheryl was on her 3rd bowl when she heard one of the men ask the man who brought it what kind of stew it was. Squirrel. Sheryl qalmost choked and that was the end of her eating that stew. Cooked right, squirrel is good. I cannot attest to groundhog because the only time I tasted that it was cooked by my Granny - and she was a terrible cook except for wilted lettuce. Oh could she make wilted lettuce!! I can close my eyes and taste it to this day!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
wink_smile.gif

Years ago we were at a muzzleloader shoot. One of the men had brought a pot of stew. Daughter Sheryl was on her 3rd bowl when she heard one of the men ask the man who brought it what kind of stew it was. Squirrel. Sheryl qalmost choked and that was the end of her eating that stew. Cooked right, squirrel is good. I cannot attest to groundhog because the only time I tasted that it was cooked by my Granny - and she was a terrible cook except for wilted lettuce. Oh could she make wilted lettuce!! I can close my eyes and taste it to this day!
Sorry, I realize this is OT but... what is wilted lettuce, other than what happens when you don't use it, on time.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
wink_smile.gif

Sorry, I realize this is OT but... what is wilted lettuce, other than what happens when you don't use it, on time.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Stumped Eric! Holy cow, make this day down on the calendar.
wink_smile.gif
This is worthy of an O.T.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
wink_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Wilted lettuce is bacon fried and crumbled and the bacon grease (hot) mixed with vinegar and sugar and I wish I KNEW her ingredients even (because she was a bit of this cook) and poured over the lettuce as a dressing. The heat of the dressing wilted the lettuce. It is meant to be eaten immediately. Goo gle it and you will find recipes.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/wilted-lettuce-salad/
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Wilted-Lettuce-4
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Smoky-Mountain-Wilted-Lettuce-106737

Eric Arthur Blair said:
wink_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Wilted lettuce is bacon fried and crumbled and the bacon grease (hot) mixed with vinegar and sugar and I wish I KNEW her ingredients even (because she was a bit of this cook) and poured over the lettuce as a dressing. The heat of the dressing wilted the lettuce. It is meant to be eaten immediately. Goo gle it and you will find recipes.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Smoky-Mountain-Wilted-Lettuce-106737
It was really popular in the early 80's, they even sold bottled salad dressings (hot bacon and other ingreds) in the produce department. So that was what 25 years ago...if you never had it, it has pretty much gone bye bye now.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
wink_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
It was really popular in the early 80's, they even sold bottled salad dressings (hot bacon and other ingreds) in the produce department. So that was what 25 years ago...if you never had it, it has pretty much gone bye bye now.
Too non-PC for today. You cannot get a candy bar in a vending machine many places today.
Funny thing - many of the "bacon grease era" are still alive or just now dying off. In the last month we lost 3 here - two of them were 91 and the latest died on her 92nd birthday (she lived in Rosi's Room with another girl during WWII). They are REAL food and did not start "living better through chemnistry" until they were already old. 100 is no longer a "big deal" here - too many of them. Many in their 90s are still active and volunteering.
When I was young, everyone had a grase container in the kitchen. NO ONE would think of cooking up a mess of green beans without adding a dollop of bacon grease for flavor. You fried your potatoes in bacon grease. It was a staple!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
wink_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
It`s not in the molecular cookbook that I`m currently reading
wink_smile.gif
... it`s a six volume cookbook!

Back