Homemade Yogurt

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbinnsitters

Reaction score
[COLOR= #10253f]The Ingredients:[/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f]
--8 cups (half-gallon) of whole milk--pasteurized and homogenized is fine, but do NOT use ultra-pasteurized.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #10253f]
-- ½ cup store-bought natural, live/active culture plain yogurt (you need to have a starter. Once you have made your own, you can use that as a starter)
--fresh/frozen fruit for flavor
--thick bath towels
The Directions:
This takes a while. [/COLOR][COLOR= #254061]Start [/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f]at [/COLOR][COLOR= #c00000]4:30 [/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f]in the afternoon.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #10253f]Use a 4 quart crockpot.
Plug in your crockpot and turn to low. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #10253f]Add an entire half gallon of whole milk. Cover and cook on low[/COLOR][COLOR= #003300] (Not warm)[/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f] for 2 ½ hours.
Unplug your crockpot. [/COLOR][COLOR= #c00000]7pm[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #10253f]Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours. [/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f](How easy can this get?)[/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f]
When 3 hours have passed ([/COLOR][COLOR= #c00000]10 pm[/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f]), scoop out 2 cups of the warmish milk [/COLOR][COLOR= #003300]with a 4 cup measuring cup[/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f].[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #003300]Stir[/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f] in ½ cup of store-bought live/active culture yogurt. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #10253f]Then dump the bowl contents back into the crockpot. Stir gently to combine.
Put the lid back on your crockpot. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #10253f]Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel (I used [/COLOR][COLOR= #003300]2[/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f]) all the way around the crock for insulation.
Go to bed, or let it sit for 8 hours.
In the morning [/COLOR][COLOR= #c00000]6am[/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f], the yogurt will have thickened---it's not as thick as store-bought yogurt, but has the consistency of low-fat plain yogurt.
Blend in batches with your favorite fruit:[/COLOR][COLOR= #e46c0a] mango[/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f], [/COLOR][COLOR= red]strawberry[/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f], [/COLOR][COLOR= #215968]blueberry[/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f],[/COLOR][COLOR= #cc3399]raspberries [/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f]
Chill in a plastic container(s) in the refrigerator. Your fresh yogurt will last 7-10 days. [/COLOR][COLOR= #c00000]Save 1/2 cup as a starter [/COLOR][COLOR= #10253f]to make a new batch.[/COLOR]

I would rather just buy some good plain Greek yogurt and flavor it with stuff....sorry
embaressed_smile.gif

When I read the thick bath towels, then read yoghurt all I could envision was this:
turkish-bath.jpg

I would rather just buy some good plain Greek yogurt and flavor it with stuff....sorry
embaressed_smile.gif
catlady said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Cabot is making a vanilla bean greek yogurt which tastes fabulous. I know it has more sugar than the plain stuff, but it is really good in the peach soup.

embaressed_smile.gif
You are not trying to feed lots of people any more tho, right?! Greek yogurt is very expensive. I also just heard that to "make" greek yogurt just buy the plain yogurt and drain the liquid off in the fridge via bowl and strainer for 3-4 hours.

embaressed_smile.gif
You are not trying to feed lots of people any more tho, right?! Greek yogurt is very expensive. I also just heard that to "make" greek yogurt just buy the plain yogurt and drain the liquid off in the fridge via bowl and strainer for 3-4 hours.
suellen222 said:
You are not trying to feed lots of people any more tho, right?! Greek yogurt is very expensive.
Not so much any more. 32 oz container of greek yogurt at Costco is about $3.50.

embaressed_smile.gif
suellen222 said:
You are not trying to feed lots of people any more tho, right?! Greek yogurt is very expensive.
Yeah! No Costco in my area tho - will check at Sams Club - haven't seen it yet.

I'm surprised by how many people are serving yogurt, of any kind...it's not popular at all in these parts.

Greek Yog is at walmart, at sams, at food lion, at kroger, it is in every grocery store. The thing I DO personally is use a dash of greek and then yoplait. Unless someone loves yoghurt, the greek may be too much for them. They are always surprised to find they really like it! I avoid the honey versions as they are thinner.
TIP: If you ever end up with the last of the smooshy blueberries that you cannot serve to guests, make them into a topping for the yoghurt. Heat on stove with a dash of sugar and smash them around until liquidy. Let it cool before serving (on yoghurt), warm for other things - pancakes etc.

I'm surprised by how many people are serving yogurt, of any kind...it's not popular at all in these parts..
Don Draper said:
I'm surprised by how many people are serving yogurt, of any kind...it's not popular at all in these parts.
Vanilla yogurt layered with granola and fruit is a big hit here for a starter. We do it every other day it's so popular.
Riki

I'm surprised by how many people are serving yogurt, of any kind...it's not popular at all in these parts..
Don Draper said:
I don't serve parfaits often, but I do use it in my peach soup - my other soups (strawberry and apple) do not use it. I kind of avoid it in things because of the lactose issue, but when I have good fruits that I poach or roast (peaches, pears), I dress them up with a dollop of greek yogurt drizzled with a little local honey.

Don Draper said:
I don't serve parfaits often, but I do use it in my peach soup - my other soups (strawberry and apple) do not use it. I kind of avoid it in things because of the lactose issue, but when I have good fruits that I poach or roast (peaches, pears), I dress them up with a dollop of greek yogurt drizzled with a little local honey.
Mmmm...peach soup! The peaches are incredible this year. For some reason I always think of yogurt, esp the Greek kind, as a diet food. It's very filling too, I need to leave room for my bacon
tounge_smile.gif

Don Draper said:
Mmmm...peach soup! The peaches are incredible this year. For some reason I always think of yogurt, esp the Greek kind, as a diet food. It's very filling too, I need to leave room for my bacon
tounge_smile.gif

Don Draper said:
The peaches are incredible this year.
When the peaches are good like this year..

embaressed_smile.gif
suellen222 said:
suellen222 said:
will check at Sams Club - haven't seen it yet.
Our Sam's has it - Ichobani brand at around $4 for 32 oz. Costco is a little cheaper as it is their house brand. You have to buy two of the 32 oz. though which is bad if I'm not using it frequently.

Don Draper said:
tounge_smile.gif

Don Draper said:
The peaches are incredible this year.
When the peaches are good like this year..
YUM!!!!! My best friend is deathly allergic to peaches and strawberries, I always feel so badly for her...BUT, she's always been allergic, so technically I guess she doesn't know what she's missing!

embaressed_smile.gif
suellen222 said:
suellen222 said:
Our Sam's has it - Ichobani brand at around $4 for 32 oz. Costco is a little cheaper as it is their house brand. You have to buy two of the 32 oz. though which is bad if I'm not using it frequently.
I love the Chobani greek yogurt. So much better than any of the yoplait stuff.

embaressed_smile.gif
suellen222 said:
suellen222 said:
catlady said:
Even the reg brands like Dannon make a greek yog now. It is a huge fad.
We eat it for the high protein value.
I agree with the yoplait comment CL, but those who are not fans of yog will try and like Yoplait, so healthy and even has High Fructose Corn Syrup! (yeah all natural with chemicals) LOL

embaressed_smile.gif
suellen222 said:
suellen222 said:
catlady said:
I agree with the yoplait comment CL, but those who are not fans of yog will try and like Yoplait, so healthy and even has High Fructose Corn Syrup! (yeah all natural with chemicals) LOL
YEp but I don't like the Dannon Greek yogurt as much. We have tried most of them and Chobani tops our list. Though my husband is a real die hard. He eats the plain greek yogurt ( Fage) all by itself though sometimes he puts some fruit on top.

embaressed_smile.gif
suellen222 said:
suellen222 said:
catlady said:
YEp but I don't like the Dannon Greek yogurt as much. We have tried most of them and Chobani tops our list. Though my husband is a real die hard. He eats the plain greek yogurt ( Fage) all by itself though sometimes he puts some fruit on top.
catlady said:
We do both and Oikos. Oikos would be my favorite. I buy the smaller packs for the girls lunches.

Back