Honey

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the suggestions!
We are casual too and I don't think the little plastic bear would look any less refined than the giant container of CoffeeMate that's sitting out there as well (people love that stuff, we go through gallons of it). I think they like using the honey dispenser though, many have commented on it. I guess I'll just keep cleaning up the mess.
Just another aside...we started getting our milk delivered from a local dairy. The half & half comes in glass pint bottles with a plastic dispenser lid. It is very cool, just quaint and old-fashioned looking, with the dairy's logo imprinted on it. You can't believe how much MORE liquid half & half we've gone through since switching to this...it just makes me laugh, everything is in the perception. It tastes pretty similar to the half & half that comes in the cardboard container, but just the idea that it's delivered fresh and in glass makes it that much more appealing.
I really think psychology is the very best background anyone could bring to innkeeping
teeth_smile.gif
Perception has a LOT to do with everything. We know that almost every B&B in town serves a very similar brekkie and yet some get raves for the brekkie and others barely a mention. I think it is all in the presentation. If I could find a really nice milk/cream dispenser with a lid, I would do that for the morning coffee. All I have is a small pitcher and most guests look right over it and take the hot water pot thinking that HUGE container is the cream!
We gave up and went to using the mini moos so I could stop having to refill the creamers at every table 6 times during brekkie. Still, a nice dairy bottle would be great!
Half%20and%20Half_1.jpg

This is a terrible pic but you get the general idea. It has the name of the dairy on it. If it's something you'd like I can get you as many as you need. I know the bottle is $2, I would have to check on the spout/lid but I think they are a few dollars each too. You can run both pieces through the dishwasher.
How much does that hold? Does the spout part gush out or is it a controlled pour?
This is a quart jar. The pour is very controlled, not too slow but it definitely does not gush out.
Let me know if you want to try it, I will send you one. OR you could plan a visit south and get some yourself...you have a place to stay if you can
wink_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
This is a quart jar. The pour is very controlled, not too slow but it definitely does not gush out.
Let me know if you want to try it, I will send you one. OR you could plan a visit south and get some yourself...you have a place to stay if you can
wink_smile.gif
Do they come in pints?
I just sent you an email.

our honey goes off before it gets used up, I stopped buying it for guests..
How does it go off? Honey is the one foodstuff that does not spoil.
gillumhouse said:
It crystalizes over time and/or gets darker. You can't pour crystalized honey. Well you can heat it up, but not going to do it each time for guests who never use it.
I do not know about darker, but it crystalizes when it get cold. Just set it in a pan of hot water and it will uncrystalize and be ready to go. Or tke the metal lid off (or what ever lid) and put it in the nuker for about 30 seconds or less.
gillumhouse said:
I do not know about darker, but it crystalizes when it get cold. Just set it in a pan of hot water and it will uncrystalize and be ready to go. Or tke the metal lid off (or what ever lid) and put it in the nuker for about 30 seconds or less.
Right but only if someone asks for it, that is what I am trying to say I can't have it sitting out near the tea all the time looking all hard and crystal chunky. :)
I have it in our pantry like that and microwave it in the bottle and it pours right out. I can't do that for guests. If they ask for honey I will.

our honey goes off before it gets used up, I stopped buying it for guests..
gillumhouse said:
It crystalizes over time and/or gets darker. You can't pour crystalized honey. Well you can heat it up, but not going to do it each time for guests who never use it.
gillumhouse said:
Right but only if someone asks for it, that is what I am trying to say I can't have it sitting out near the tea all the time looking all hard and crystal chunky. :)
I have it in our pantry like that and microwave it in the bottle and it pours right out. I can't do that for guests. If they ask for honey I will.
Oh sure, raise the bar again...now I have to go remove the chunky, crystallized honey bear from the counter...

Thanks for the suggestions!
We are casual too and I don't think the little plastic bear would look any less refined than the giant container of CoffeeMate that's sitting out there as well (people love that stuff, we go through gallons of it). I think they like using the honey dispenser though, many have commented on it. I guess I'll just keep cleaning up the mess.
Just another aside...we started getting our milk delivered from a local dairy. The half & half comes in glass pint bottles with a plastic dispenser lid. It is very cool, just quaint and old-fashioned looking, with the dairy's logo imprinted on it. You can't believe how much MORE liquid half & half we've gone through since switching to this...it just makes me laugh, everything is in the perception. It tastes pretty similar to the half & half that comes in the cardboard container, but just the idea that it's delivered fresh and in glass makes it that much more appealing.
I really think psychology is the very best background anyone could bring to innkeeping
teeth_smile.gif
Perception has a LOT to do with everything. We know that almost every B&B in town serves a very similar brekkie and yet some get raves for the brekkie and others barely a mention. I think it is all in the presentation. If I could find a really nice milk/cream dispenser with a lid, I would do that for the morning coffee. All I have is a small pitcher and most guests look right over it and take the hot water pot thinking that HUGE container is the cream!
We gave up and went to using the mini moos so I could stop having to refill the creamers at every table 6 times during brekkie. Still, a nice dairy bottle would be great!
Half%20and%20Half_1.jpg

This is a terrible pic but you get the general idea. It has the name of the dairy on it. If it's something you'd like I can get you as many as you need. I know the bottle is $2, I would have to check on the spout/lid but I think they are a few dollars each too. You can run both pieces through the dishwasher.
InnsiderInfo said:
Half%20and%20Half_1.jpg

Those are cute! Care to share what state you are in?? I have a small collection of milk jars and I had no idea there were still making them
tounge_smile.gif

I love those bottles. I often get the whipping cream and half and half in those bottles. They are a bit more expensive but I love to re-use the glass containers for storing things. They have that great snap on lid. I store my sugar in the large milk containers because we have so many ants around here. They can't get into the sugar that way. I'm out in California and I get mine from Straus Creamery. Here is thier website www.strausfamilycreamery.com/%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0 There is another creamery that uses them and here is their link: www.yelp.com/biz/broguieres-farm-fresh-dairy-montebello I think it is a great thing that there are dairies that use these glass bottles because they can be re-used or even returned to get your deposit back! I wish more would do this.

Has anyone thought about honey pearls? www.whiteliontea.com/retail/honey_pearls.asp I'm sure they are probably more than using local honey though.....but at least there would be no mess!.
My sister who LOVES honey in her tea does not care for the honey pearls - go figure! I am glad to hear that the honey that is crystallized in my cupboard is not "bad". I will go try to revive it all right now and report back. I always feel like it just crystallizes again too quickly and I usually end up throwing it out.

Has anyone thought about honey pearls? www.whiteliontea.com/retail/honey_pearls.asp I'm sure they are probably more than using local honey though.....but at least there would be no mess!.
My sister who LOVES honey in her tea does not care for the honey pearls - go figure! I am glad to hear that the honey that is crystallized in my cupboard is not "bad". I will go try to revive it all right now and report back. I always feel like it just crystallizes again too quickly and I usually end up throwing it out.
Honey that has been previously microwaved stays un-crystalized for a long long time. In a glass jar is best, don't microwave it in a plastic bottle.

Honey that has been previously microwaved stays un-crystalized for a long long time. In a glass jar is best, don't microwave it in a plastic bottle.
I currently have 3 plastic honey bears in a hot water bath - can't get the crystallized stuff out of plastic very easily. I will try zapping it all in a glass bowl and then putting it back in the plastic honey bears! What a process! If it works I'll have honey for another year! Thanks all!

I currently have 3 plastic honey bears in a hot water bath - can't get the crystallized stuff out of plastic very easily. I will try zapping it all in a glass bowl and then putting it back in the plastic honey bears! What a process! If it works I'll have honey for another year! Thanks all!
If you have enough 'clearance' in the bottles, pour in warm honey and continue to let the bottles sit in the warm/hot bath. Then, flip them over and let the bear stand on his head for awhile. This seems to be working here. Because the temp in the inn gets down to 50 in the winter, the honey bear here tends to need a lot of help in the winter keeping warm enough to let the honey flow.

I've got something similar to those honey pearls from the Great Lakes Tea and Spice Company. http://stores.bigwaterhosting.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GLTAS&Product_Code=HBEAD&Category_Code=sugars
Are those honey filled beads? Sounds really cool! Thanks for the website, I'm going to check it out
thumbs_up.gif

Back