Honey

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
On our self-serve coffee/tea table we have a little glass honey dispenser, the top is wooden with a honey comb bottom that you let the honey drip from. It is difficult to use, I keep it in a little saucer so at least the mess is contained but I'm looking for an easier system. Does anyone have any recommendations other than the little plastic bear bottles (those are cute for my own use but I'd like something a little more refined for our dining room).

I have used little jam pots with the wooden dispensers that drip honey for the few times I have needed it in the dining room. However, I have to say that I have decided that the little bear bottles are kitschy enough - and you can get them with organic, flavored or local honey these days - that I just might embrace them as they are a lot easier to deal with.
Stash tea sells the honey and agave plastic sticks with the popoff tops which could be put in an attractive glass holder.

I used the glass honey dispenser where you push the plunger. It has its own containment, so no plate needed. The problem I found with that was the honey would stick to the glassl bottom and the guest had to pull that off to get the honey. Most of them couldn't figure it out.
Sorry to say but I have the plastic honey bear out. (We're very casual, tho, so it fits.) What I find is that once it gets cold, the honey solidifies and we have to warm up the bear in the morning so the honey comes out. We're about in that season now and it lasts until May.

We use the standard syrup dispenser and it works fine for us. NOt as fancy as Bree's..but same thing.

Thanks for the suggestions!
We are casual too and I don't think the little plastic bear would look any less refined than the giant container of CoffeeMate that's sitting out there as well (people love that stuff, we go through gallons of it). I think they like using the honey dispenser though, many have commented on it. I guess I'll just keep cleaning up the mess.
Just another aside...we started getting our milk delivered from a local dairy. The half & half comes in glass pint bottles with a plastic dispenser lid. It is very cool, just quaint and old-fashioned looking, with the dairy's logo imprinted on it. You can't believe how much MORE liquid half & half we've gone through since switching to this...it just makes me laugh, everything is in the perception. It tastes pretty similar to the half & half that comes in the cardboard container, but just the idea that it's delivered fresh and in glass makes it that much more appealing.
I really think psychology is the very best background anyone could bring to innkeeping
teeth_smile.gif

We are casual too and I don't think the little plastic bear would look any less refined than the giant container of CoffeeMate that's sitting out there as well (people love that stuff, we go through gallons of it). I think they like using the honey dispenser though, many have commented on it. I guess I'll just keep cleaning up the mess.
Just another aside...we started getting our milk delivered from a local dairy. The half & half comes in glass pint bottles with a plastic dispenser lid. It is very cool, just quaint and old-fashioned looking, with the dairy's logo imprinted on it. You can't believe how much MORE liquid half & half we've gone through since switching to this...it just makes me laugh, everything is in the perception. It tastes pretty similar to the half & half that comes in the cardboard container, but just the idea that it's delivered fresh and in glass makes it that much more appealing.
I really think psychology is the very best background anyone could bring to innkeeping
teeth_smile.gif
Perception has a LOT to do with everything. We know that almost every B&B in town serves a very similar brekkie and yet some get raves for the brekkie and others barely a mention. I think it is all in the presentation. If I could find a really nice milk/cream dispenser with a lid, I would do that for the morning coffee. All I have is a small pitcher and most guests look right over it and take the hot water pot thinking that HUGE container is the cream!
We gave up and went to using the mini moos so I could stop having to refill the creamers at every table 6 times during brekkie. Still, a nice dairy bottle would be great!

teeth_smile.gif
Perception has a LOT to do with everything. We know that almost every B&B in town serves a very similar brekkie and yet some get raves for the brekkie and others barely a mention. I think it is all in the presentation. If I could find a really nice milk/cream dispenser with a lid, I would do that for the morning coffee. All I have is a small pitcher and most guests look right over it and take the hot water pot thinking that HUGE container is the cream!
We gave up and went to using the mini moos so I could stop having to refill the creamers at every table 6 times during brekkie. Still, a nice dairy bottle would be great!
Half%20and%20Half_1.jpg

This is a terrible pic but you get the general idea. It has the name of the dairy on it. If it's something you'd like I can get you as many as you need. I know the bottle is $2, I would have to check on the spout/lid but I think they are a few dollars each too. You can run both pieces through the dishwasher.

our honey goes off before it gets used up, I stopped buying it for guests.

teeth_smile.gif
Half%20and%20Half_1.jpg

This is a terrible pic but you get the general idea. It has the name of the dairy on it. If it's something you'd like I can get you as many as you need. I know the bottle is $2, I would have to check on the spout/lid but I think they are a few dollars each too. You can run both pieces through the dishwasher.
How much does that hold? Does the spout part gush out or is it a controlled pour?

teeth_smile.gif
Half%20and%20Half_1.jpg

InnsiderInfo said:
Half%20and%20Half_1.jpg

Those are cute! Care to share what state you are in?? I have a small collection of milk jars and I had no idea there were still making them
tounge_smile.gif

our honey goes off before it gets used up, I stopped buying it for guests..
How does it go off? Honey is the one foodstuff that does not spoil.
gillumhouse said:
It crystalizes over time and/or gets darker. You can't pour crystalized honey. Well you can heat it up, but not going to do it each time for guests who never use it.

gillumhouse said:
It crystalizes over time and/or gets darker. You can't pour crystalized honey. Well you can heat it up, but not going to do it each time for guests who never use it.
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
It crystalizes over time and/or gets darker
Mine does that, too. I just warm it up and it's fine. Honey really doesn't go bad.

gillumhouse said:
I do not know about darker, but it crystalizes when it get cold. Just set it in a pan of hot water and it will uncrystalize and be ready to go. Or tke the metal lid off (or what ever lid) and put it in the nuker for about 30 seconds or less.

teeth_smile.gif
Half%20and%20Half_1.jpg

How much does that hold? Does the spout part gush out or is it a controlled pour?
This is a quart jar. The pour is very controlled, not too slow but it definitely does not gush out.
Let me know if you want to try it, I will send you one. OR you could plan a visit south and get some yourself...you have a place to stay if you can
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
I do not know about darker, but it crystalizes when it get cold. Just set it in a pan of hot water and it will uncrystalize and be ready to go. Or tke the metal lid off (or what ever lid) and put it in the nuker for about 30 seconds or less.
Yes, I notice that the honey does both. Crystallizes on the bottom but gets dark just above where it has crystallized. If I put in new honey, I can see the difference in color. I try not to nuke it too much in the plastic honey bear so I don't release plastic toxins into the honey. (Had a guest scold me for doing that.) I will set it in a bowl of hot water for awhile. But nuke it if a guest wants it NOW.

teeth_smile.gif
Half%20and%20Half_1.jpg

This is a quart jar. The pour is very controlled, not too slow but it definitely does not gush out.
Let me know if you want to try it, I will send you one. OR you could plan a visit south and get some yourself...you have a place to stay if you can
wink_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
wink_smile.gif
Do they come in pints?

Back