Honeymooners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the acknowledgment to be nice depending weather they are there for a weekend to be more. Maybe heart shaped pancakes or waffles? That would be cool..
birdwatcher said:
I agree with the acknowledgment to be nice depending weather they are there for a weekend to be more. Maybe heart shaped pancakes or waffles? That would be cool.
I should figure out how to do the heart-shaped pancakes. That's another great idea. Maybe a test run this Valentine's Day.
I did heart shaped waffles for the "love" occasions. <3
Dollar store congrats card on their wedding and a chocolate bar with a note should do it for a one night stay. They're not buying a romance package from you & that's nice recognition of their special day. Easy peasy....
Lots of times, I would find the card in the trash & other times they must have taken it with them as a keepsake. Oh, well... it's the thought that counts and if it makes you feel good to do it, than do it. Otherwise, skip it.

Alibi, I've got to say I don't know why you're displeased. Perhaps these folks are on a long trip. They've chosen your place to stay even tho they don't have a lot of time. Why does that bother you? Is it that you feel like they're asking for special treatment?

Alibi, I've got to say I don't know why you're displeased. Perhaps these folks are on a long trip. They've chosen your place to stay even tho they don't have a lot of time. Why does that bother you? Is it that you feel like they're asking for special treatment?.
Like I said, could have struck me at the wrong time. Situationally, we get about 50% of our guests who stay here one night out of a 7-10 night vacation in the area. They are all agog about the 'wonderful' places they've selected to stay on the 'real' part of their vacation and this is just a 'landing' spot before they get to where they're really going. Sometimes it just bothers me that relatively few guests who come to the area view my town as the destination.
Yes, those guests pay the bills but they are the guests who cost the most and maybe it just hit me that 'here we go again' the 'gimme something for free' attitude when they're not really going to be spending any kind of time in town. Hit and run guests.
You know how it is- some guests just rub you the wrong way from the beginning!

Alibi, I've got to say I don't know why you're displeased. Perhaps these folks are on a long trip. They've chosen your place to stay even tho they don't have a lot of time. Why does that bother you? Is it that you feel like they're asking for special treatment?.
Like I said, could have struck me at the wrong time. Situationally, we get about 50% of our guests who stay here one night out of a 7-10 night vacation in the area. They are all agog about the 'wonderful' places they've selected to stay on the 'real' part of their vacation and this is just a 'landing' spot before they get to where they're really going. Sometimes it just bothers me that relatively few guests who come to the area view my town as the destination.
Yes, those guests pay the bills but they are the guests who cost the most and maybe it just hit me that 'here we go again' the 'gimme something for free' attitude when they're not really going to be spending any kind of time in town. Hit and run guests.
You are obviously proud of your lovely place and town. I would suspect you might feel differently if they had said that they didn't have much time to spare getting from point A to B, but saw your place and felt they just HAD to squeeze it in.

Alibi if you don't "like" having one nighters because they take too much of your time / cost you too much money then why not set a minimum night stay?
However if you DON'T set a min night stay and you DO have one nighters then don't immed think bad of them, that's not fair.

Alibi-yup i know what you mean but as Gillumn said if you live in podunk you have to really play up your town-we get one nighters here at this B & B too-really nothing to bring them to town. Only time we get long term as in longer than 1 day is when they have festivals-they only have 3.

I'm one of "those" innkeepers. Any excuse to add the rose petals ... and whatever else makes sense .... (from twister to bubble bath with a rubber duck). I have a near obsession with making every guest feel special and unique.
It's not just about that night, it's about who else they tell, how you compared to wherever else they were going, a review they might leave, how comfortable and special they feel, how they view breakfast the next morning ....
My thing is to buy things on sale when I see them so I always have a stash of stuff.
My repeats from a few weeks ago are from a warmer climate but always bring their teddy bears with them. About 5 years ago I was given a bag full of hand knitted teddy bear sweaters so this year, when they came back to their room I had put them all in a Xmas / Maine appropriate sweaters for turn-down. The year before they were here for Halloween and had the bears dressed for the season so I found my broomstick and lined them all up on it.
Bottom line - I'm not a cutesy person, but if my guests fall into that category I'll run with it.

I'm one of "those" innkeepers. Any excuse to add the rose petals ... and whatever else makes sense .... (from twister to bubble bath with a rubber duck). I have a near obsession with making every guest feel special and unique.
It's not just about that night, it's about who else they tell, how you compared to wherever else they were going, a review they might leave, how comfortable and special they feel, how they view breakfast the next morning ....
My thing is to buy things on sale when I see them so I always have a stash of stuff.
My repeats from a few weeks ago are from a warmer climate but always bring their teddy bears with them. About 5 years ago I was given a bag full of hand knitted teddy bear sweaters so this year, when they came back to their room I had put them all in a Xmas / Maine appropriate sweaters for turn-down. The year before they were here for Halloween and had the bears dressed for the season so I found my broomstick and lined them all up on it.
Bottom line - I'm not a cutesy person, but if my guests fall into that category I'll run with it..
The Tipsy Butler said:
Bottom line - I'm not a cutesy person, but if my guests fall into that category I'll run with it.
I am constantly in awe of how you handle guests to their face and behind their backs. You have a great grasp of what you are willing to offer without giving so much of yourself that you are empty (or so it seems). I admire you and your spunk...

Bottom line - I'm not a cutesy person, but if my guests fall into that category I'll run with it..
The Tipsy Butler said:
I am constantly in awe of how you handle guests to their face and behind their backs. You have a great grasp of what you are willing to offer without giving so much of yourself that you are empty (or so it seems). I admire you and your spunk...
Thanks P.
It's a two-part issue:
  1. I do what makes me smile. My house is full of things from my guests. Not just stuff, but stuff that fits me and the B&B. While I think I take care of my guests I KNOW that my guests take care of me. This New Year's Eve I found a note from a guest telling me to look outside our back-door. They'd left us a bottle of bubbly chilling in the snow. They knew we were having a "quiet" NYE and I think they probably guessed it was partly because we were low on funds.
  2. .... this is kind of hard to explain without sounding super moronic. I always assume everyone else (ie every other B&B) is better than I am so if I can make a guest feel special then maybe they'll overlook some of the inevitable short-falls ..... "well at least we know she's trying" .....

Tipsy I agree 100% - on both points!! One of my guests started a "save the Inn" campaign for me after my foreclosure threat and raised several thousand which really helped me keep going through the last few months .. I still ended up in bankruptcy and get to keep the house as long as I can pay my morgage and my arrears but those $$ helped with some much needed repairs and other expenses. As I said in another post, you never know where that next angel comes from.

Tipsy I agree 100% - on both points!! One of my guests started a "save the Inn" campaign for me after my foreclosure threat and raised several thousand which really helped me keep going through the last few months .. I still ended up in bankruptcy and get to keep the house as long as I can pay my morgage and my arrears but those $$ helped with some much needed repairs and other expenses. As I said in another post, you never know where that next angel comes from..
WOW !!!!! x 1000

The Tipsy Butler said:
Thanks P.
It's a two-part issue:
  1. I do what makes me smile. My house is full of things from my guests. Not just stuff, but stuff that fits me and the B&B. While I think I take care of my guests I KNOW that my guests take care of me. This New Year's Eve I found a note from a guest telling me to look outside our back-door. They'd left us a bottle of bubbly chilling in the snow. They knew we were having a "quiet" NYE and I think they probably guessed it was partly because we were low on funds.
  2. .... this is kind of hard to explain without sounding super moronic. I always assume everyone else (ie every other B&B) is better than I am so if I can make a guest feel special then maybe they'll overlook some of the inevitable short-falls ..... "well at least we know she's trying" .....
I am always in awe of innkeepers who receive gifts from guests. I know, reading about what you have done, that I don't do 25% of what you do. My take on this is I provide a nice place to stay, a good breakfast and help getting on the road. Nothing else. We are very, very private and self-sufficient people and guests must assume there is a line they are not to cross.
And that explains why I had better keep my mortgage payments up to date. No one is bailing me out!

I think it was the insertion of the word HONEYMOON that grated on your last nerve as the Duchess used to put it. The fact they inserted that word made you feel they were "expecting" something, not allowing YOU to decide to do something special for them upon finding out it was their honeymoon. I must ask though, how are you going to find out it is a special thing if you do not have a Reason For Visit box on the reservation?

I think it was the insertion of the word HONEYMOON that grated on your last nerve as the Duchess used to put it. The fact they inserted that word made you feel they were "expecting" something, not allowing YOU to decide to do something special for them upon finding out it was their honeymoon. I must ask though, how are you going to find out it is a special thing if you do not have a Reason For Visit box on the reservation?
I've been 'working with' a difficult group on a project and I think you're right- the last nerve! I've got months to get over this so I'm not worried. I won't even remember this by the time they arrive.

Honeymooners ... We have a lot of one-nighters on the wedding day, the couple trying to escape family and get loose before they a) go on the two week honeymoon cruise, or b) go home to the kids. How many times does one of your newlywed grooms carry his bride over the threshold in your inn? I was surprised.

The Tipsy Butler said:
Thanks P.
It's a two-part issue:
I am always in awe of innkeepers who receive gifts from guests. I know, reading about what you have done, that I don't do 25% of what you do. My take on this is I provide a nice place to stay, a good breakfast and help getting on the road. Nothing else. We are very, very private and self-sufficient people and guests must assume there is a line they are not to cross.
And that explains why I had better keep my mortgage payments up to date. No one is bailing me out!
But you do .... you do 100% of what I do, just in your own way. There are so many things you do that I don't. That's why there is a B&B for everyone.

The Tipsy Butler said:
Thanks P.
It's a two-part issue:
Don't sell yourself short...you do much, much more than many other innkeepers do for their guests and to make sure that they have a comfortable stay ! And, you do a lot to promote your town & area to boot. There are only so many hours in the day.
All innkeepers have their own "style" and do what they feel comfortable with and what they get joy from.
You get a good percentage of repeat guests. You must be doing a bunch of things right in a very competitive market! Stay positive! :)

Joey that is EXACTLY WHY I DO recognize them in some small way, even a little gift of a set of small candles or a heart shaped bottle opener, BECAUSE people like you say 'OUR CELEBRATION WAS NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED" - my honeymooners, anniversaries etc are my best "word of mouth" even with a tiny gift.
agoodman said:
Joey that is EXACTLY WHY I DO recognize them in some small way, even a little gift of a set of small candles or a heart shaped bottle opener, BECAUSE people like you say 'OUR CELEBRATION WAS NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED" - my honeymooners, anniversaries etc are my best "word of mouth" even with a tiny gift
I think that is grand. Without even being super fancy you can (this time of year) buy some valentine's stuff and use for this purpose throughout the year. Even silly little conversation hearts would be adorable for a honeymoon couple.
They are my favorite. Even if just one night, which is almost ALWAYS the case here, either get in late as their wedding night, or enroute some place else.
Why do I love them? Besides being no trouble at all, of course, but they are starting a new life together and there is joy. To me I like to glean a bit of that joy from them, as they typically are glowing, even the older remarried couples, they are happy! They leave here and have no clue about anything they saw as they are on cloud nine, but they take the little card with them and it goes in their wedding album. For that, it is priceless!
Good idea about the V-Day stuff. A local candy maker does a really sweet (no pun intended) V-Day candy that they sell until they run out. I can get a big box of them now and repackage in little bags for the rest of the year. I always forget to get them now and go running to find them in the summer. And it's a lot less expensive for me to buy them in bulk and do the wrapping myself.
Alibi Ike said:
Good idea about the V-Day stuff. A local candy maker does a really sweet (no pun intended) V-Day candy that they sell until they run out. I can get a big box of them now and repackage in little bags for the rest of the year. I always forget to get them now and go running to find them in the summer. And it's a lot less expensive for me to buy them in bulk and do the wrapping myself.
Even Reeses are in shapes of hearts. Or you can make your own in a heart shaped ice cube tray - peanut butter, then drizzle melted chocolate and put in freezer. (this is a good time of year to buy the heart ice cube trays after V-day 75% off when no one else wants them!)

Back